Please help me balance my idea for super powers in HB setting!

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

AncientManBeast
Novice

Please help me balance my idea for super powers in HB setting!

#1 Postby AncientManBeast » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:55 pm

Hi,
So I'm very new to savage worlds and in Dm'ing is general, but I'm very inspired from this awesome system to create my own setting. I've never played a Supers rpg before but I picked up the Super Power companion recently and it got me very excited to have it in my setting [love rolling characters with it]. I'm just looking for ways to balance it with other players who do not choose to have the super power background and in general in the world it is very rare for people to have said powers [a lot of npcs won't have them]. I would use the rising star rules with either Pulp or Street, I'm leaning toward Pulp as Street feels like it would be too much.

Technology level-wise, its a near future PA-ish world , so conventional guns, body armor vehicles are somewhat common with more advance weapons being rare. I want to give the 'normals' bonuses and hinder the supers in some way. Also lore wise, i'm thinking I would require the supers to take the Mania, Phobia, Delusional or some sort of custom Compulsion hindrance as an extra [i.e. no points] with a chance to buy them off later. No super sorcery power or invent power allowed and no device modifier. Here are some of my ideas;

1. Introduce skill specialization edges. The normals get a free one at creation or can take at novice while the supers could only take at higher rank [or not at all].

2. The super power background would cost 2 edges to purchase.

3. The supers start with less skill points [maybe as part of the extra hindrance], Maybe ban the Super skill power?

Do you guys think that those three things would balance the playing field enough? My idea is to have the normals be more skilled and level headed [if they choose to]. I'm aware there is the no power point rules for super powers, I guess another option is to use that with the customization of the SPC and tweak the negative modifier in some way. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Zadmar
Legendary

Re: Please help me balance my idea for super powers in HB setting!

#2 Postby Zadmar » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:14 am

Welcome to the forums, and to Savage Worlds!

Characters built with the SPC are much more powerful than regular characters. 1 PP of super powers is roughly on-par with a +1 racial ability, and a free Edge is listed as a +2 racial ability. But if you look at various Edges, you'll see that many of them are actually weaker than racial abilities (as an extreme example, Str+d6 natural weapons are listed as a +1 racial ability, but gaining the same option with Edges requires both Martial Artist and Improved Martial Artist).

I suppose you could rule that Arcane Background (Super Powers) gives 1 PP, while the Power Points Edge grant an additional +1 PP each time it's taken. But an easier option would be to just give everyone super powers; those who don't want to be literally super-powered could spend the points on gear, minions, attributes, skills, Edges, etc.
My blog: Savage Stuff. I've also written some free tools and supplements.

steelbrok
Veteran

#3 Postby steelbrok » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:46 am

In a Star Wars game using the SPC I allow the Super Edge to buy the Geared Up edge from the SPC allowing a lot of gear for those who don't take powers.

Jounichi
Legendary

#4 Postby Jounichi » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:59 am

steelbrok wrote:In a Star Wars game using the SPC I allow the Super Edge to buy the Geared Up edge from the SPC allowing a lot of gear for those who don't take powers.

But then the gear becomes intrinsic to the character. At that point I'd just say they should buy powers normally use the device modifier.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda
"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

ogbendog
Legendary

#5 Postby ogbendog » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:12 pm

I read a suggestion once for SW with SPC, to allow non-Jedi (mundane) chars to use the super power points to buy attributed, edges, skills, etc.
Bill Ogden
Author of Kaiser's Gate Field Manual Vol 1: Mounts, now available for purchase.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/119241/Ka ... ual-Mounts

AncientManBeast
Novice

#6 Postby AncientManBeast » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:47 am

Thanks for the replies, some good suggestions! I didn't realize super powers were THAT super :o . Lore wise I did want no-power and powered characters but ifs just too imbalanced i can just scrap that idea. Like some of you have said with star wars game, do you think splitting the powers up would work? Like everyone gets the background and 5pp , the 'normals' can use them on the powers super skill,super edge,gifted and gear while the supers can get everything else minus those powers [and sorcery,invent].

Has anyone ever tried the power creation mechanics of the SPC with a power point pool variant or a rolling/fatigue mechanic?

Also, how does a rising star game play [pulp or street]? Is it hard to balance?

Thanks!

Ilina_Young
Veteran

#7 Postby Ilina_Young » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:29 am

if you want a normal flavored player character in a supers game. you should generally take passive or device themed powers. Batman is a case of a Super Sorcerer who literally pulls out new devices and new skills left and right.

steelbrok
Veteran

#8 Postby steelbrok » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:35 am

Jounichi wrote:
steelbrok wrote:In a Star Wars game using the SPC I allow the Super Edge to buy the Geared Up edge from the SPC allowing a lot of gear for those who don't take powers.

But then the gear becomes intrinsic to the character. At that point I'd just say they should buy powers normally use the device modifier.

In practice it gives a very different feel to the characters

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”