More Comprehensive Cybernetics than SciFiComp?

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Lord Karick
Seasoned

More Comprehensive Cybernetics than SciFiComp?

#1 Postby Lord Karick » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:01 am

Hi guys, I'm toying with ideas for a new Space Opera campaign where cybernetics will form a central part of the story. Is anyone aware of a more gritty cybernetics breakdown than that offered by the Science Fiction companion? My basic premise is going to be that the players are part of an experimental programme into cybernetics that the authorities decide to shut down because certain psychotic side-effects have come to light. The campaign starts with the players catching wind of this and having to break out of their facility and cover their tracks.
I want the danger to the players to be a very real thing and am not entirely sure how to model this yet in game terms. Are there any other madness rules out there that I could borrow from? The sanity rules from the HC might work, but is there anything close to the mark out there?

Lord Karick
Seasoned

Re: More Comprehensive Cybernetics than SciFiComp?

#2 Postby Lord Karick » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:12 am

Been scouting around a bit and Interface Zero 2.0 sounds very interesting. Does anyone know if buying the Player's Guide alone covers all the bases?

Ilina_Young
Veteran

#3 Postby Ilina_Young » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:37 am

Nemezis has a system of Cybernetic rules that allow more overall strain than the science fiction companion.but the downside is that going overboard with the implants tends to lower your charisma, representing how cybernetics in shadowrun ruined your humanity. give up too much charisma to impants, and you generally become no better than any other aberration that needs to put down.

UmbraLux
Veteran

#4 Postby UmbraLux » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:51 am

Lord Karick wrote:Hi guys, I'm toying with ideas for a new Space Opera campaign where cybernetics will form a central part of the story. Is anyone aware of a more gritty cybernetics breakdown than that offered by the Science Fiction companion? My basic premise is going to be that the players are part of an experimental programme into cybernetics that the authorities decide to shut down because certain psychotic side-effects have come to light. The campaign starts with the players catching wind of this and having to break out of their facility and cover their tracks.
I want the danger to the players to be a very real thing and am not entirely sure how to model this yet in game terms. Are there any other madness rules out there that I could borrow from? The sanity rules from the HC might work, but is there anything close to the mark out there?
The most extensive cybernetics rules are probably in Nova Praxis. It has rules for complete copies of your mind with placement in anything from a clone, to a construct, or even a virtual world.

It does have some down sides for being copied too many times but that may not be the madness you're looking for. Realms of Cthulu has rules for madness which you could probably borrow with minor revisions.

dentris
Veteran

#5 Postby dentris » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:07 pm

I don't own any of these books, so I cannot comment on them. I did make rules of my own for a Savage Cthulhu Punk campaign. It's very rough and I didn't take the time to edit for errors, but you can check them and dig for inspiration.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ou0 ... sp=sharing
But the Voice consoles me and it says: "Keep your dreams;
Wise men do not have such beautiful ones as fools!"
--Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal, 1857, Translated by William Aggeler, 1954

Kirigi
Novice

#6 Postby Kirigi » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:28 pm

Lord,

To answer your question; yes, I do believe that the Interface Zero 2.0 Player's Handbook would be more than enough to fulfill the purposes in your campaign. Plus, they also follow the standard protocol rules of strain as also mentioned in the SciFi rules handbook by Pinnacle. Nova Praxis is also an excellent route as mentioned by Umbralux, but the rules for cybernetics follow more of a standard AP (augmentation points) where you would buy a package of points and distribute between the various cyberware or bioware presented in the book.

You can't wrong with either one, both are nothing short of excellent books, but I lean towards IZ 2.0 due to the how the rules presented already follow the known rules given in the SciFi Handbook, plus David Jarvis (one of the creators of IZ 2.0) has a tendency to hang around the Savage Worlds Licensees forum if you have any questions, he's a nice guy.

Good luck,

Kirigi

Lord Karick
Seasoned

#7 Postby Lord Karick » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks for the helpful comments everyone!

moonowl67
Seasoned

#8 Postby moonowl67 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:49 pm

if you were looking for a quick set of rules to call upon, and you had the Horror Companion handy you, could mash up the SFC cyberware rules for Strain with the HC Sanity rules. Instead of having the cyberware count against a character's Vigor, you could have it work against their Spirit. Each point of Strain inflicts a point Sanity drain. This wouldn't inflict harm to the trait rolls but runs the risk of certain madness. You could then tweak the rules for standard Weird Science; these powers would represent an ultimate level of technology (properly trapped, of course). I'd have each Weird Science power count against Spirit just as cybernetics do. I'd definitely use the Cyber Tolerant and Cyborg Edges.

Quick and clean . . .

I actually use the HC Sanity rules for Dark Side powers in my Star Wars campaign. Oddly, the force using PC hasn't taken any Dark Side powers, so I may not be able to test the rules for a while . . .

Bobble
Seasoned

#9 Postby Bobble » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:53 am

The free Ghost Protocol at Rel's Den (www.relsden.com) has cyberware, gear, edges, and assorted whatnot that you could use. In addition, it's got a mission generator, a virtual reality generator, 'Net combat, Mega-corps and a few other things you might want to nab. Rel has done quite a few thorough conversions that are well worth checking out.

duck-of-doom
Novice

#10 Postby duck-of-doom » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:35 am

Having looked at both Nova and Interface zero would I say that Interface Zero have the better cybernetics, they seem more balanced, have rules for different levels of qualities and are rather easy to understand.

ManuFS
Novice

#11 Postby ManuFS » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:58 am

I created my own take at Cyberware for my Shadowrun conversion (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49241), including Edges and Hindrances. Maybe you find some inspiration there. :)
The Savage German
My blog about all things Savage Worlds I do.

Savage Shadowrun Second Edition
My conversion bringing the second edition of Shadowrun to Savage Worlds

fly.ing.fox
Novice

#12 Postby fly.ing.fox » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:57 pm

I own both the Interface Zero and Nova Praxis books and I agree with a previous poster that the IZ method is more standardised and controlled.

Nova Praxis is really a self contained system that is balanced against the rest of its content. Do not misunderstand, Nova Praxis is deep and wonderful, but it is not as easily diablerised as other products.

And if you want more ideas for Cyber, Rippers Ressurected can be used in a pinch.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”