Weird Wars MASH 4077th Con Game

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Brooks
Novice

Weird Wars MASH 4077th Con Game

#1 Postby Brooks » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:34 am

I have an idea to use the Weird Wars settings to run a Con Game of MASH 4077th set in Korea. I would love any input from the community about how I can keep the tropes of MASH Comedy and still add the Horrors of Weird Wars. I feel that it will be a struggle to run as more of a sit-com as opposed to action show. So i plan to have lots of things at the table to re-enforce the tropes.

Here are some of the ideas so far.
Start game with only 1 bennie per player. However reward many more for roleplaying certain tropes that we see in MASH. I understand that this is already a thing in SW awarding bennies for roleplaying. I feel that if the players start with only 1 it will jumpstart their desire to have a few stacked up in front of them. They will be able to earn more by playing into these areas.

1. Canned Laughter(I'm bringing a canned laughter recording I can play at the table) make a joke in character only the Audience (Players) would get and earn a bennie.
2. Tell a background story about "Back Home" i.e. Potter brings up Mildred's Pot Pie.
3. Create a "Funny Situation" that the staff has to come together to fix and earn bennies for the people who participate.
4. Each Character has their own Tropes on top of that like Charles Emerson Winchester III acts snooty but shows his heart of gold. Radar used his "Choppers" danger sense successfully and earn a bennie. Klinger describes his outfit and what he had to do to put it together and earn a bennie. I think you get it.

I'm planning on props like a a deck of MASH playing cards, Map of camp, figures of characters, models of the buildings, authentic vehicles, Dog tags, drink glasses, surgical masks/caps, stethoscopes and music score.

Any other ideas you can give me will be appreciated.

alinman
Novice

Re: Weird Wars MASH 4077th Con Game

#2 Postby alinman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:01 am

Love it!

I'm not extraordinarily familiar with the Weird Wars settings (I have a copy of WW:Rome but haven't dug into it) but a couple of thoughts:

The horrors and evils are attacking the North Koreans and the UN both. This would be something where our heroes have to address the higher-ups thinking it's all a dirty Commie plot.

Speaking of dirty Commie plots, you've GOT to include Col. Flagg as an NPC. Perhaps he's possessed.......

Maybe Sidney Friedman is actually an agent for the "Twilight Legion" organization.

sablemage
Veteran

#3 Postby sablemage » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:25 pm

Man, I would SO play that!

Hotlips as a succubus/vampire? :)

mitchw1219
Novice

#4 Postby mitchw1219 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:02 pm

There were some pretty weird dream sequences on that show at times. Those could be played out in waking form.

The doctors could also find a wounded werewolf who has pledged to not hurt humans. (He has a farm and raises goats or something out in the wilderness away from civilization.) And the Doctors want to get him out of trouble and free to continue his peaceful existence.

Brooks
Novice

#5 Postby Brooks » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:19 pm

These ideas are awesome. Thank you.

******Spoilers Ahead**********

I was going to do something a little campy like the previously mentioned Col. Flagg tested a Radioactive Gas that killed everyone on the battle field and at night they rise as Radioactive Zombies with glowing blood. I was going to have some soldiers brought in by ambulance and helicopter to the camp wonder in battle. Doc's work on them save them. They wake up and tell crazy stories Doc's take for "Shell Shock" and call Sidney in to consult. Sidney over time in the game realizes they believe whatever they are saying and he cannot help them. Doc's (For no good reason) travel out of the safety of the camp to investigate in the hope of helping their wounded. They find a group of Korean Soldiers who are wounded and dying. How to save them is up to players return to camp being the most practical way. Upon returning to camp Klinger or Rosie can translate and these soldiers are scared and tell the same story as the Americans. In a true sign of War is Hell Flagg rolls into camp running from his creation. He lets the doctors know what is up and that they seem to only rise at night. I will have Zombie Minis with glowing yellow pain where they should have blood dripping off them. Now the fun of how do a bunch of doctors and nurses with no combat skills survive the night. Now that I have said all that I really hope none of you are in my game and I ruined it for you. I did say Spoilers alert.

But each of you has given me some extra Ideas to ponder. I can always run it multiple times over a Con. I might just add in tidbits about Hotlips as a Succubus and a local Korean Goblin (called a "Dokkaebi") farmer.

If anyone has more ideas please share.

I am also looking for ideas that can help me enforce the roleplaying of the tropes form the show. If you have any please let me know. Thanks again.

Sparx MacGyver
Novice

#6 Postby Sparx MacGyver » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:54 am

I absolutely love with this idea! The show was a favorite of mine growing up, and still is a great one for me to watch to this day. Actually, I'm a bit jealous I didn't come up with the idea myself.

As far as the lack of combat goes, it's only sort of true. While certainly not going to be highly trained infantry/rifleman, there is precedent that Army Doctors (I'm sure this likely applies to other branches as well) carry at least a sidearm. From what I remember of my grandfather telling me, some medics and even a few doctors going into the field might choose to carry a rifle, but most would for sure carry a pistol and a couple of clips, so they could defend themselves, and the sick and wounded in there care. I seem to recall an episode in fact, that Hawkeye specifically out right refuses to carry his pistol. Can't remember who he was talking to (probably Hotlips or Burns) but I think it was Officer of the Day. I know it's a game based off a TV show based off real life, so real world stuff may not always apply. But I could see at least the doctors having a d4 in shooting, with those who have boxing or perhaps get into bar fights having a d4 or d6. I'm sure Father Mulcahey would probably have a d6 in fighting to represent his boxing hobby.

Anyway, wish I could be more help, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on this. Would love to play in this. Just sounds like a blast.

amerigoV
Heroic

#7 Postby amerigoV » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:54 am

Love the ideas!

Make sure the weird crap happens to Frank first since no one will believe him - or Klinger since he is always busting for a Section 8.

Radar pauses, "Zombies!"
Hawkeye "What!?! you mean Choppers, right?"
Radar, "They would have to fill out Form 829A-3 to get machetes, then they would be Chopper Zombies."
Savage Buckeye!

alinman
Novice

#8 Postby alinman » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:05 am

I know you don't want any of us playing in it, but I for another would absolutely love to! That said, here are a couple of additional thoughts:

Maybe there was an ambulance wreck an hour or so (driving) from camp; the driver radioed in about it, and Frank and Klinger (!) are sent in a jeep ahead of another ambulance to help stabilize the wounded before they can be evacuated back to camp. Night falls shortly after they arrive, and they are set upon as described above and have to flee back to camp. Since it's Frank and Klinger, it will be difficult to get anyone to believe them, at least until Col. Flagg comes screaming into camp and Sidney says he seems to really believe what he's saying as well.

I would expect Potter and Houlihan to have at least d6 in Shooting, Potter from his experience in the cavalry and Houlihan from being an Army brat. Possibly they should each even have a d8; likewise as mentioned previously, Father Mulcahey should have d6 or d8 in Fighting from his boxing experience.

Brooks
Novice

#9 Postby Brooks » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:50 pm

Sparx MacGyver wrote:I absolutely love with this idea! The show was a favorite of mine growing up, and still is a great one for me to watch to this day. Actually, I'm a bit jealous I didn't come up with the idea myself.

As far as the lack of combat goes, it's only sort of true. While certainly not going to be highly trained infantry/rifleman, there is precedent that Army Doctors (I'm sure this likely applies to other branches as well) carry at least a sidearm. From what I remember of my grandfather telling me, some medics and even a few doctors going into the field might choose to carry a rifle, but most would for sure carry a pistol and a couple of clips, so they could defend themselves, and the sick and wounded in there care. I seem to recall an episode in fact, that Hawkeye specifically out right refuses to carry his pistol. Can't remember who he was talking to (probably Hotlips or Burns) but I think it was Officer of the Day. I know it's a game based off a TV show based off real life, so real world stuff may not always apply. But I could see at least the doctors having a d4 in shooting, with those who have boxing or perhaps get into bar fights having a d4 or d6. I'm sure Father Mulcahey would probably have a d6 in fighting to represent his boxing hobby.

Anyway, wish I could be more help, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on this. Would love to play in this. Just sounds like a blast.

Your a big help. I hope you don't mind me stealing a few of your ideas. They are really good.

Brooks
Novice

#10 Postby Brooks » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:52 pm

Ok everyone posting lately is killing it. Awesome ideas. Many I'm going to use. I'll keep adding stuff as I come up with it also. If any of you want to run it yourself just let me know how it goes and good luck.

Sparx MacGyver
Novice

#11 Postby Sparx MacGyver » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:14 am

Oh, by all means, take what you'd like. Glad I could help. If I think of anything else, I'll post it up. Looking forward to more intel form you on this. Just sounds cool and fun.

Kendermage
Seasoned

#12 Postby Kendermage » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:29 pm

"It wasn't a chicken. It was a zombie!"
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."

George Carlin

mitchw1219
Novice

#13 Postby mitchw1219 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:59 pm

You shouldn't post such things when I am drinking water.... now I have to dry my keyboard. :lol:

alinman
Novice

#14 Postby alinman » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:28 pm

"A big flying zombie with pink fuzzy feet."

Also, at the end perhaps Sgt. Zale can come out from under a jeep having slept through the whole thing.

BiblioTech
Novice

#15 Postby BiblioTech » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:44 am

Ho Jon (their South Korean valet/batman) could act as a source of local information about the country's weirdness.

sablemage wrote:Man, I would SO play that!

Hotlips as a succubus/vampire? :)

This kind of tickles me, seeing as how in the followup novels by Hornberger and William Butterworth, Margaret marries the head of the God is Love in All Forms Christian Church, Inc. and then becomes the new head of the church after her husband dies of a heart attack on their honeymoon. Perfect cover for a succubus.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”