Cantrips

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

UmbraLux
Veteran

Cantrips

#1 Postby UmbraLux » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:36 pm

In a society where magic is commonly available, what minor magics would be commonly used for convenience?

Here's my list so far, what would you add?

Amplify
- Increase the volume of the next noise made.
Balance
- Compare weight of items held in one hand with those held in the other.
Brighten
- Shine the surface of a single item made of metallic or other non-porous material.
Chill / Heat Water
- Chill or heat a cup of fluid.
Clean
- Clean a single article of clothing.
Compass
- Sense true North.
Darken
- Dull the surface of a single item made of metallic or other non-porous material.
Dry
- Dry a single article of clothing.
Firestarter
- Lights a flammable substance.
Measure
- Move 1/8 teaspoon to 10 cups of powder or fluid into a container.
Scour
- Clean a pot or piece of armor.
Stick
- Stick two similar items together for a while.
Style
- Hold hair in place.
Sweep
- Push loose dust and dirt on a surface to a selected location.
Tie / Untie Knot
- Tie or untie a simple knot.
Time
- Sense the position of the sun.

SeeleyOne
Veteran

Re: Cantrips

#2 Postby SeeleyOne » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:53 pm

Ease Headache -- cures a headache

Freshen air -- freshens the air in an area, great for when you pass gas

Bake -- bakes something that you make, such as is you have the components of a cake, cookies, bread, etc that you have ready for baking.

Tap -- taps something with a very weak touch, good for tapping on a window or shoulder
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

To be evil is to live backwards

UmbraLux
Veteran

#3 Postby UmbraLux » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:42 pm

Thanks, I like 'em!

Sadric
Heroic

#4 Postby Sadric » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:09 am

How work casting a cantrip. Years ago, in a Fantasy game I used something like Roll casting, if you made the roll it doesnt cost Powerpoints, only if you fail it cost 1Powerpoint.
Only exception is a cantrip that is used as a Smart tricks. Then it cost allways 1 Powerpoint!

Example for Cantrips used as smart trick:
Whirling sparks
dazzling lights
weak illusion
stuning jolt

Darq666
Veteran

#5 Postby Darq666 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:37 pm

Whisper - send a private message to a target in LoS
Mend - fix a simple non-mechanical object

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#6 Postby SeeleyOne » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:56 pm

For technology, an alter data spell might be good. For a normal power you could alter the computer data as seen fit, but as a cantrip I can see it making typographical errors and transposing data.

On a related note, I could see a Cipher spell being used where the caster has some sort of encryption method in mind,. and the cantrip encrypts the data or message. Likewise the same could be done to decrypt it. The Cipher cantrip would be a boon to spies. All it does is alter the data that already exists, but it could be argued that it be a "real" power.
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#7 Postby SeeleyOne » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 am

As a cantrip, a caster might be able to transpose and move around the letters and numbers of a given value, such as a word or a particular number. For example, "word" can become "drow" and "123" can become "312". Whatever the combination can create. I think the word for doing this is Amalgam.

As a "real" power it could be called Word Play and could be able to affect an entire piece of paper, scroll, etc and be able to swap the words and values around. Like take a word from one sentence, put it into another, or move the words and values around in the same sentence. I could see it being a dramatic task, or perhaps even several of them, and this might just be a way to use the Amalgam cantrip in a dramatic task. Alternately it could be an edge that requires the Amalgam power. The power itself is sufficient, but someone with the edge is better at it. Same power, just an improved application. In fact, there are many powers that I feel could benefit from this approach as opposed to being full blown different powers. I suppose that the effect is the same, though as a power is equal to an edge, so really it is just a technicality, but it is one that has a built in "requires" clause.

UmbraLux
Veteran

#8 Postby UmbraLux » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:57 pm

SeeleyOne wrote:As a cantrip, a caster might be able to transpose and move around the letters and numbers of a given value, such as a word or a particular number. For example, "word" can become "drow" and "123" can become "312". Whatever the combination can create. I think the word for doing this is Amalgam.
I think you mean anagram. It's a lesser version of SeelyOne's Cypher idea - about right for minor cantrips.

@All, thanks for all the ideas!

Deskepticon
Veteran

#9 Postby Deskepticon » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:52 am

Some on the list I think can be combined into a single cantrip. For instance, Brighten, Clean, and Scour can probably just be called "Clean" and affect up to 1 sq.ft. of matter (roughly equivalent to a small pot, pant leg, or purse of coin).

Damper - lower the volume of the next sound made.

Muddle - Distorts the next sound made, rendering words incomprehensible.

Throw Voice - your voice seems to originate from somewhere else (within LoS or 3" of caster?)

Magnet - finger attracts nearby metallic objects (within a few cm)

Tint - shift the color of an object one step on the color spectrum (red to orange, blue to indigo, etc.)

Glow - illuminates area slightly, as if by match flame.

UmbraLux
Veteran

#10 Postby UmbraLux » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:54 pm

Deskepticon wrote:Some on the list I think can be combined into a single cantrip. For instance, Brighten, Clean, and Scour can probably just be called "Clean" and affect up to 1 sq.ft. of matter (roughly equivalent to a small pot, pant leg, or purse of coin).
True, but I'm ok with keeping them separate and less powerful. They are mere cantrips after all. :) Also, I'm not charging xp to learn them, just finding a teacher or source. Thanks for your additions!

Here's my current cantrip doc:

In general, you must have any item you're targeting with a cantrip in your possession. Cantrips are simply not powerful enough to affect someone else or something in their possession. Any exceptions are noted in the cantrip description.

Anyone can learn and use a cantrip even though all cantrips cost one power point to use. It takes d20 rounds of ritual for those without power points to gather the needed ambient essence.

Cantrips cost no experience to learn but must be learned from a teacher or book.

Amplify
    Increase the volume of the next noise made.

Balance
    Compare weight of items held in one hand with those held in the other.

Brighten
    Shine the surface of a single item made of metallic or other non-porous material.

Calm
    Calm an animal. You must hold the animal still while casting.

Chill / Heat Water
    Chill or heat a cup of fluid.

Clean
    Clean a single article of clothing.

Compass
    Sense true North.

Condense
    Pull ambient liquid out of the air into a container.

Cook
    Bake or cook a single item.

Dampen
    Halve the volume of the next noise made within a 10 foot radius.

Darken
    Dull the surface of a single item made of metallic or other non-porous material.

Distort
    Distort conversation and render it incomprehensible beyond a 5 foot radius.

Dry
    Dry a single article of clothing.

Ease
    Reduce pain, minor headaches go away.

Firestarter
    Lights a flammable substance.

Gather
    Push loose small, loose items on a surface to a selected location or into a container.

Glow
    Cause an object to glow as brightly as a small candle for ten minutes.

Lodestone
    Attract metallic objects within Constitution feet to your hand. Total weight of objects must be less than Willpower x 0.1 pounds.

Measure
    Move up to 10 cups of powder or fluid into a container.

Send a paper bird with a written message to a known individual within Willpower tenths of a mile. Paper birds may be intercepted or destroyed.

Open / Shut
    Open or shut an unlocked door within Willpower yards weighing less than Willpower pounds.

Push / Pull
    Push or pull an unattended item weighing less than Willpower pounds up to one foot. Stick prevents Push / Pull.

Scent
    Add a mild scent of your choice to the air.

Scour
    Clean a pot or piece of armor.

Sharpen
    Sharpen a blade or point.

Stick
    Stick two similar items together for a while.

Style
    Hold hair in place.

Tap
    A light tap on a shoulder or window.

Tie / Untie Knot
    Tie or untie a simple knot.

Time
    Sense the position of the sun.

Tint
    Shift the color of a small object up to one step on the color spectrum.

Ventriloquism
    Your next half dozen words appear to originate from another location within 20 feet.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”