BPRD

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Legate71
Veteran

BPRD

#1 Postby Legate71 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:51 pm

Is it just me? Or, was Savage Worlds not written for Hellboy? Why has this franchise not been picked up?

Gordon
Seasoned

Re: BPRD

#2 Postby Gordon » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:55 pm

I believe that Steve Jackson Games may still have a license agreement

SteelDraco
Seasoned

#3 Postby SteelDraco » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:31 pm

A buddy of mine is starting up a BPRD game using the Supers rules. From everything he's said it does seem like a good fit.

Honestly, I do think it's a really good fit for Savage Worlds, and would be a cool license to pick up, though I have no idea if it's available.

DHub
Novice

#4 Postby DHub » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:20 am

My wife built a "Hellgirl" character in our last Supers game. I expected to run a traditional 4-colors, marvel style game, but it quickly turned into a BPRD style story.
If you want to play a BPRD game, I'd say just get the SPC2 and maybe the Horror Companion and go to town. Most of the characters were uniquely built including the bad guys. If you need a group of bad guys, say lesser vampires, you just make a power suite for them and apply it to an extra.

Legate71
Veteran

#5 Postby Legate71 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:00 pm

Personally, I would stay away from the Supers angle...not that it is a bad idea. I'd just concentrate on the Cthulhu-esque horror aspects; so, definitely the Horror Companion would be a must.

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#6 Postby Sitting Duck » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:50 am

Some time ago, I wrote up a couple of Hellboy Savage profiles based on the movie.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Darq666
Veteran

#7 Postby Darq666 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:11 am

Maybe a modernization of Rippers? Though BRPD does seem to be less about "Classic" monsters, but does have a good share of the Undead in it...

Legate71
Veteran

#8 Postby Legate71 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:39 pm

Darq666 wrote:Maybe a modernization of Rippers? Though BRPD does seem to be less about "Classic" monsters, but does have a good share of the Undead in it...

Remove the Rippertech (for the most part) and you would have a pretty good start for a BPS game that is for sure. The Lodge Rules in Rippers 2nd Ed would work perfectly for making BPRD HQs and Safe Houses.

SteelDraco
Seasoned

#9 Postby SteelDraco » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:49 pm

Legate71 wrote:Personally, I would stay away from the Supers angle...not that it is a bad idea. I'd just concentrate on the Cthulhu-esque horror aspects; so, definitely the Horror Companion would be a must.

Interesting. I always thought of BPRD as a bunch of very unique, horror-themed superheroes fighting Cthulhu monsters. It's not like the focus of the setting is on the normal people - it's on the supers like Hellboy, Abe Sapien, and Liz.

Hellboy is a very traditional brick superhero; his personal abilities are pretty much just like someone like The Thing or The Tick. He's strong and tough, and has a cool gun that is designed to bypass enemy resistances. Super easy to write up with SPC2.

Abe would be perfectly at home as a member of the X-Men or the Justice League's C-team; he's a weird psychic fish guy. Could be a mutant, could be an alien, who knows?

Liz is a pretty traditional fire blaster superhero with the unfortunate combination of Explode at a pretty high level and some kind of Uncontrolled limitation where it sometimes goes off when she doesn't want it to.

The trouble is that if you tell people to use the SPC to write up their characters, they'll tend to write up superheroes, which isn't at all the feel you want for a BPRD game. The GM and the players would both have to be on the same page for that kind of game to work well.

Darq666
Veteran

#10 Postby Darq666 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:10 am

SteelDraco wrote:
Legate71 wrote:Personally, I would stay away from the Supers angle...not that it is a bad idea. I'd just concentrate on the Cthulhu-esque horror aspects; so, definitely the Horror Companion would be a must.

Interesting. I always thought of BPRD as a bunch of very unique, horror-themed superheroes fighting Cthulhu monsters. It's not like the focus of the setting is on the normal people - it's on the supers like Hellboy, Abe Sapien, and Liz.

Though at first I agreed with the quoted post, the more I thought about it, the more I agree that not only the protagonists, but the bad guys as well are "Supers" in some fashion.

Lord Lance
Heroic

#11 Postby Lord Lance » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:08 am

Darq666 wrote:Maybe a modernization of Rippers?

This one.
Hellboy, and BPRD broadly, encompass lot of different stories, about monsters, mysteries, investigations, horrors etc. I feel an energic call of the high-pulp, not a need for super-hero system. Undeads, nazis, witches, classical monsters like golems, werewolves etc., also cthulhoid unbeatable gods and their low level offspring, low and hi rank demons, all of them are present in those stories. As there are a lot of "average joe" heroes, citizens, victims, Hellboy's colleagues, like Kate Corrigan, etc.
"Balance is the key, Trapping is the word." - - Lord Lance

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY

Legate71
Veteran

#12 Postby Legate71 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:36 pm

SteelDraco wrote:

Hellboy is a very traditional brick superhero; his personal abilities are pretty much just like someone like The Thing or The Tick. He's strong and tough, and has a cool gun that is designed to bypass enemy resistances. Super easy to write up with SPC2.

Abe would be perfectly at home as a member of the X-Men or the Justice League's C-team; he's a weird psychic fish guy. Could be a mutant, could be an alien, who knows?

Liz is a pretty traditional fire blaster superhero with the unfortunate combination of Explode at a pretty high level and some kind of Uncontrolled limitation where it sometimes goes off when she doesn't want it to.

The trouble is that if you tell people to use the SPC to write up their characters, they'll tend to write up superheroes, which isn't at all the feel you want for a BPRD game. The GM and the players would both have to be on the same page for that kind of game to work well.

Not saying that is anything wrong with what you point out above. However, you can still make Hellboy like characters in other more appropriate setting rules then supers. Hellboy is a demon...Abe is an aquatic lifeform with some psychic abilities...Liz is a Pyrokinetic. All these powers can duplicated with just the core book. I would say the Horror Comp and Rippers would be more appropriate books, IMO.

SteelDraco
Seasoned

#13 Postby SteelDraco » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:53 pm

Legate71 wrote:Not saying that is anything wrong with what you point out above. However, you can still make Hellboy like characters in other more appropriate setting rules then supers. Hellboy is a demon...Abe is an aquatic lifeform with some psychic abilities...Liz is a Pyrokinetic. All these powers can duplicated with just the core book. I would say the Horror Comp and Rippers would be more appropriate books, IMO.

Yeah, you can write them up with the standard Savage Worlds rules, but you'll be relying on your GM to make all the races for one-off PCs. It's not like there are whole races of Giant Red Demons and Psychic Fish People running around; they're unique characters that don't really exist elsewhere in the setting (as far as I'm aware, anyway - most of my knowledge comes from the movies and the animated movies they put out several years ago). One-off races that just exist for the PC, and are more powerful than standard races, suggest to me that the Supers rules are the best fit.

You could write up Hellboy's race with the SWD race creation rules, but it's not going to balanced against humans, and it shouldn't be. He's a giant demon that can get thrown through multiple brick walls and stand up with a sigh, brush himself off, and return to the fight.

jebbou
Novice

#14 Postby jebbou » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:43 pm

I don't think you need custom races for all all PCS. Most could be cosmetics/narrative, or incorporated as Edges or Hindrances. Staying core keeps the game low powered, edge centric. Which might be fine for this setting. I would go Core + Horror :)

DHub
Novice

#15 Postby DHub » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:08 pm

So, if we assume you are going to use SWD to create all the PCs, would you suggest allowing the players to use the race building section to create their baseline? Rather than expecting the GM to make all the "races," just have his sign-off on the race creation build before applying the actual character creation rules?

jebbou
Novice

#16 Postby jebbou » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:31 am

I'm suggesting that they might trade in an Edge for a +2 racial attribute, or half an edge point for a +1 racial attribute. Only when no existing edges can be applied. If building Hellboy, no need to dig in racial attributes, just pick the Brawny edge, and the rest is narrative fluff.

Anyhow, I'm not saying supers would not work, just that my personal preference would be to keep the game low powered by staying core, with some houserule to add more character building options. Some thinking to be put into which AB to allow or redesign. Core superpower might work, or tweak / aplly trapping to Magic AB

Legate71
Veteran

#17 Postby Legate71 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:15 pm

jebbou wrote:I don't think you need custom races for all all PCS. Most could be cosmetics/narrative, or incorporated as Edges or Hindrances. Staying core keeps the game low powered, edge centric. Which might be fine for this setting. I would go Core + Horror :)

Pretty much my line of thought as well.

Legate71
Veteran

#18 Postby Legate71 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:06 pm

Flipped through the SWD book while at work and you could easily make Hellboy and Abe with the basic set.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”