Saga of the Goblin Horde

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Zadmar
Legendary

Re: Saga of the Goblin Horde

#21 Postby Zadmar » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:09 am

The Player's Guide is now available: Saga of the Goblin Horde Player's Guide

On Sunday I was invited onto the Wild Die Podcast, where I discussed Saga of the Goblin Horde along with my other fan creations. I also decided to release the Saga of the Goblin Horde Player's Guide at the same time - the full setting still requires additional work, but the player's guide is finished, so there's no real reason why I shouldn't release it earlier so that other people can already start testing it and giving feedback.

The SotGH Player's Guide is 36 pages (excluding the cover and credits) and includes six chapters: an introduction to the setting, character creation (including 5 races, 41 Edges and 20 Hindrances), equipment, setting rules (5 new ones), gods and magic (i.e., goblin deities), and the gazetteer (including a full page map).

You can check out the latest episode of the Wild Die Podcast (with a hilarious introduction song by Harrison Hunt) here.

My blog: Savage Stuff. I've also written some free tools and supplements.

Zadmar
Legendary

#22 Postby Zadmar » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:29 am

New One Sheet: Hot Water

Last month, Frank Turfler of the Middle Kingdoms Adventure & Trading Company released a free map along with a plot hook about goblins, and he invited people to add to the narrative and send in their own adventure ideas. So I wrote a One Sheet for it!

This is my tenth One Sheet (the seventh for Saga of the Goblin Horde).

Deskepticon
Veteran

#23 Postby Deskepticon » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:26 pm

I wrote up 17 characters using the Fast-track rules found at the end of the Archetypes document.

Download them for free here and drop them into your SotGH game.
Last edited by Deskepticon on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Zadmar
Legendary

#24 Postby Zadmar » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:44 pm

Deskepticon wrote:I wrote up 17 characters using the Fast-track rules found at the end of the Archetypes document.

Download them for free here and drop them into your SotGH game.

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Deskepticon
Veteran

#25 Postby Deskepticon » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:52 pm

Update:

For anyone who may have downloaded the fast-track archetypes, there is a new version up with some corrections.

Thanks to Zadmar for bringing them to my attention.

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#26 Postby Phasma Felis » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:42 pm

I just found this, and I'm loving it. Got some ideas, too. Doesn't seem to be much discussion here--is there anywhere else that folks are sharing ideas?

Deskepticon
Veteran

#27 Postby Deskepticon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:04 am

Phasma Felis wrote:I just found this, and I'm loving it. Got some ideas, too. Doesn't seem to be much discussion here--is there anywhere else that folks are sharing ideas?

There is a SotGH facebook group.

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#28 Postby Phasma Felis » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:39 am

Deskepticon wrote:
Phasma Felis wrote:I just found this, and I'm loving it. Got some ideas, too. Doesn't seem to be much discussion here--is there anywhere else that folks are sharing ideas?

There is a SotGH facebook group.

Ugh, I hate connecting my IRL identity with my online one. :(

Thanks for the heads up, anyway. Maybe I'll make a Phasma Felis Facebook account.

Zadmar
Legendary

#29 Postby Zadmar » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:33 am

You're welcome to post here as well, perhaps it'll encourage more discussion.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#30 Postby Deskepticon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:39 am

Zadmar wrote:You're welcome to post here as well, perhaps it'll encourage more discussion.

I think people are just afraid of offending your "rockstar" status. :lol:

Deskepticon
Veteran

#31 Postby Deskepticon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:43 am

Phasma Felis wrote:Ugh, I hate connecting my IRL identity with my online one. :(

Isn't that exactly what FB does? :?

I kid...

Unfortunately the FB group seems to suffer the same stigma as this thread when it comes to open discussion.

Zadmar
Legendary

#32 Postby Zadmar » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:52 am

Yeah, the reaction seems to be fairly positive, but nobody seems to have any questions about it. Perhaps things will pick up when I release the full setting.

Brickulos
Veteran

#33 Postby Brickulos » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:32 am

Zadmar wrote:Yeah, the reaction seems to be fairly positive, but nobody seems to have any questions about it. Perhaps things will pick up when I release the full setting.

I had a question. When describing AB Super Powers, it says you can select a power of your current rank or lower. Does that mean that the other ABs have no rank restrictions for powers?

Zadmar
Legendary

#34 Postby Zadmar » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:53 am

Brickulos wrote:I had a question. When describing AB Super Powers, it says you can select a power of your current rank or lower. Does that mean that the other ABs have no rank restrictions for powers?

No, the standard rules apply. The other ABs impose restrictions on which powers you're allowed to learn (e.g., no healing spells, or only the spells listed for your deity), but AB (Super Powers) allows you to start with any power you qualify for. However I use the word "start" rather than "learn" because if you wish to take more powers, they must be justified through trappings as an alternate use of the original power.

The idea is that characters with AB (Super Powers) have a single magical talent, although that talent might be quite flexible. For example they might be able to project flames from their hands, taking both bolt and smite, with the two powers representing different uses of the same innate ability.

Originally I just wrote "you can start with any power", but one of the proofreaders thought that meant AB (Super Powers) could ignore the rank requirement, so I clarified the wording. Perhaps I should try and find a better way of phrasing it.

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#35 Postby Phasma Felis » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Zadmar wrote:Yeah, the reaction seems to be fairly positive, but nobody seems to have any questions about it. Perhaps things will pick up when I release the full setting.

I can ask questions. I'm good at that. :D

Are there stats for dark slimes yet? I'm pretty curious about those. Also about wolves--I know there's the Dog/Wolf stats in the core book, but they don't have things like Tracking or Low-Light Vision and seem a bit weak compared to, say, swamp rats.

When a barghest is killed in hybrid form, does it revert to goblin-shape, or leave a wolf monster corpse? I'm thinking of playing a necromancer, see... :)

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#36 Postby Phasma Felis » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:30 pm

Zadmar wrote:Originally I just wrote "you can start with any power", but one of the proofreaders thought that meant AB (Super Powers) could ignore the rank requirement, so I clarified the wording. Perhaps I should try and find a better way of phrasing it.

Maybe just "start with one power as normal"?

Oh, speaking of errata, the Mutation Edges page says an amphiblin "can swim at his Swimming Pace", which seems tautological. :)

Snate56
Legendary

#37 Postby Snate56 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:46 pm

I can't think of anything to use as Bennies!
I don't just want to have a goblin picture, I thought about collecting a bunch of... well... knick knacks :) like Monopoly or Clue tokens, but not all of them really work well (i.e., automatic pistol w/ silencer...). Maybe I could do pictures of objects, kinda like item cards.
They would be mostly junk, but a few might actually come in handy! Like an old sandal you could scavenge the lacing from. You'd have to spend that Benny to make use of it though.

I can't find any cards that would be appropriate, either.

Have you given any thought to Adventure Cards?
I thought of one: The Kamakazi Meat Shield!
Not only does your gang member take a Wound for you, he does so by screaming and leaping on your assailant, delivering a Wound back. He still dies, and it has to be one of your gang.

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

Zadmar
Legendary

#38 Postby Zadmar » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:17 am

Phasma Felis wrote:Are there stats for dark slimes yet? I'm pretty curious about those.

Yes, they're in the bestiary. Here is a screenshot (the resolution should be okay if you download it).

Phasma Felis wrote:Also about wolves--I know there's the Dog/Wolf stats in the core book, but they don't have things like Tracking or Low-Light Vision and seem a bit weak compared to, say, swamp rats.

Originally I planned to reference SWD for things like animals, but I've recently started adding my own in order to make it easier to convert the document to my own system at a later date (that way I won't need to insert new pages). I've not added wolves yet, but I will.

Phasma Felis wrote:When a barghest is killed in hybrid form, does it revert to goblin-shape, or leave a wolf monster corpse? I'm thinking of playing a necromancer, see... :)

It's not explicitly stated, but I would say they remain in whatever form they died in. The Edge makes no mention of reverting back when they sleep or lose consciousness, after all, and it's described as a mutation rather than a magical ability.

I probably wouldn't allow them to continue shapechanging if they were animated as mindless undead, though. It's also worth noting that barghests are pretty rare, and are feared and admired by regular goblins, so each barghest corpse would be a significant trophy in its own right.

Phasma Felis wrote:Oh, speaking of errata, the Mutation Edges page says an amphiblin "can swim at his Swimming Pace", which seems tautological. :)

Hmm, perhaps I should use the word "move" instead of "swim".

Snate56 wrote:I can't think of anything to use as Bennies!
I don't just want to have a goblin picture, I thought about collecting a bunch of... well... knick knacks :) like Monopoly or Clue tokens, but not all of them really work well (i.e., automatic pistol w/ silencer...). Maybe I could do pictures of objects, kinda like item cards.
They would be mostly junk, but a few might actually come in handy! Like an old sandal you could scavenge the lacing from. You'd have to spend that Benny to make use of it though.

Interesting idea, although personally I'd prefer to keep knick-knacks separate from Bennies. I have toyed with the idea of creating knick-knack cards, and I'm still hoping to fit a knick-knack generator onto the Campaign Deck, but for Bennies I use the ones created by Manuel Sambs (his old ones at the top, new ones at the bottom):

Snate56 wrote:I can't find any cards that would be appropriate, either.

The Campaign Deck will also double up as an action deck.

Snate56 wrote:Have you given any thought to Adventure Cards?
I thought of one: The Kamakazi Meat Shield!
Not only does your gang member take a Wound for you, he does so by screaming and leaping on your assailant, delivering a Wound back. He still dies, and it has to be one of your gang.

Cool idea :) However the main problem with Adventure Cards is the cost of the artwork, as each card needs its own illustration. If I can find suitable stock art I'll try to put together a few custom Adventure Cards, but I simply don't have the budget for any more private commissions.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#39 Postby Deskepticon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:18 am

Zadmar wrote:Yes, they're in the bestiary. Here is a screenshot (the resolution should be okay if you download it).

Entry for Giant Dark Slime says, "Huge: Medium-sized foes receive +2 to attack."
Shouldn't it be +4?

Zadmar wrote:
Phasma Felis wrote:Oh, speaking of errata, the Mutation Edges page says an amphiblin "can swim at his Swimming Pace", which seems tautological. :)

Hmm, perhaps I should use the word "move" instead of "swim".

Should "Swimming Pace" be changed to "Swimming die" ??

Snate56 wrote:I can't think of anything to use as Bennies!

Chicken bones? Teeth?

Zadmar
Legendary

#40 Postby Zadmar » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:36 am

Deskepticon wrote:Entry for Giant Dark Slime says, "Huge: Medium-sized foes receive +2 to attack."
Shouldn't it be +4?

Yes, well spotted ;) The bestiary is still under work, once it's finished I'll run the entries through my statblock analyzer and start proofreading it.

Deskepticon wrote:Should "Swimming Pace" be changed to "Swimming die" ??

Just checked SWD, and it seems the favored terminology is "Swimming skill", so I'll change it to that.

Snate56 wrote:
I can't think of anything to use as Bennies!

Chicken bones? Teeth?

Nice idea! Something tribal like teeth, claws or even arrow heads would be a great thematic fit.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”