Modified firearm ranges

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Ilina_Young
Veteran

Re: Modified firearm ranges

#21 Postby Ilina_Young » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:29 pm

Vinzent wrote:
Ilina_Young wrote:a yard or 3 feet is almost a meter. instead of doing the math for 2 yards, just replace the word yards with meters. a pace, 2 yards, 6 feet or 2 meters are close enough to being the same. a pace is 2 yards, 6 feet, or almost 2 meters.

Metric Heresy!

i was merely trying to come up with an Easy Solution for the players that are outside of the US. the ones in continents like Europe or Oceania who use Metric as their dominant measuring system.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#22 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:12 pm

Ilina_Young wrote:
Vinzent wrote:
Ilina_Young wrote:a yard or 3 feet is almost a meter. instead of doing the math for 2 yards, just replace the word yards with meters. a pace, 2 yards, 6 feet or 2 meters are close enough to being the same. a pace is 2 yards, 6 feet, or almost 2 meters.

Metric Heresy!

i was merely trying to come up with an Easy Solution for the players that are outside of the US. the ones in continents like Europe or Oceania who use Metric as their dominant measuring system.

Vinzent was teasing.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Vinzent
Heroic

#23 Postby Vinzent » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:14 am

Ilina_Young wrote:
Vinzent wrote:

Metric Heresy!

Sorry, I've been chatting with too many Warhammer players. Metric is always easier once people make the switch.
My Savage Worlds Blog
Get off the Human reservation. Read The Starrunner by C.B. Jones

galu
Seasoned

#24 Postby galu » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:25 am

I was reading Owl Hoot Trail, and it has an interesting mechanic for gun ranges. (it's western+fantasy mashup)

There are abstracted "zones". At a party, zones can be: dancefloor, stage with the band, the bar, the porch.

Guns have ranges like:
Derringer, range 0 (same zone)
Normal sixgun, range 0-1 (same zone + next zone)
Rifle, range 2-3

In the given range, shooting is without mofifier.

If you shoot outside your range, you get -2 penalty if the difference is 1 zone.
Eg shooting a Derringer (range 0) into the next zone is with -2.
shooting with a rifle into the next zone (range minimum of 2) is is also with -2.

Sidearms are great in same zone or next zone fighting (no modifiers), but virtually useless at long range. Rifles are good in long ranges, but no use in the same zone.

Ilina_Young
Veteran

#25 Postby Ilina_Young » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:52 pm

the Zone System sounds pretty cool. i would allow an Agilty check to move an additional zone.

Grazillx
Novice

#26 Postby Grazillx » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:09 am

Systems that use "zones" usually allow characters to change one zone per turn in addition to their action. Changing two zones uses up a whole action (running).

galu
Seasoned

#27 Postby galu » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:36 pm

Grazillx wrote:Systems that use "zones" usually allow characters to change one zone per turn in addition to their action. Changing two zones uses up a whole action (running).

I didn't want to go into detail, but it's exactly like that. You have one action in a round.
- in addition, you can dive for cover once per round, as a free action (depending on exact circumstances, a cover might be full against an enemy, and partial or none against an other)
- you can use an action to change zones OR you can change zones as an additional take. If you do the latter (eg. attack and then change zones), you will go last in the next round (as the new arrival on the balcony/porch/etc.)

Thasmodious
Seasoned

#28 Postby Thasmodious » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:39 pm

Couple of years ago, zones became all the rage and we had several really good threads on savaged zones that had several poster's take on them from the very abstract to much more codified subsystems. Here's a couple of them for anyone interested:

http://www.pegforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33763&hilit=zones
http://www.pegforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36098&hilit=zones
There's more than seventy earths spinning 'bout the galaxy and the meek have inherited not a one.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”