Creating a Bladesinger

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Volt875
Seasoned

Creating a Bladesinger

#1 Postby Volt875 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:51 am

Hey all. So one of the players in my group really loves the Bladesinger kit from 2nd edition DnD. So I thought I'd try my hand at creating an edge for it for Savage Worlds. Here's what I came up with. Looking for comments on balance issue as I've never made my own edge before.

Arcane Background Bladesinger. ((Requirements D8 agi, elf) 5 power points 2 powers. Skill-spell casting (int))A guardian of elves and the elven way of life this warrior has been trained in the ancient art of blade singing. The warrior dances through Melee dealing death with blade and spell with unearthly grace. Choose a weapon to have trained in, The warrior gains the benefit of the twofisted edge with his chosen weapon while wearing leather or no armor. Also so skill is he in interweaving magic into the dance he can use a power and strike without the normal -2 multi action penalty (off hand penalty still applies). However as a bladesinger he is sworn to help any elf in distress, no matter the personal cost. This art can never be taught to non elves and must be taken at character creation due to the length of the training.
"...If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!"- Thorin Oakenshield; The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

SteelDraco
Seasoned

Re: Creating a Bladesinger

#2 Postby SteelDraco » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:37 pm

I would be more inclined to write up a bladesinger-type edge as a variation of Adept, rather than a whole Arcane Background. Adept is written as an AB (Miracles) edge in the book, but the framework works well for any spellcasting+melee character. Adept's unarmed attack stuff doesn't really fit, but it does suggest that it's about as powerful as an Edge, since the unarmed combat portion of Adept is exactly the same as the Martial Artist edge. Maybe Block or Extraction would fit well there instead of Martial Artist? Something like...

Bladesinger
Requirements: Novice, Elf, Arcane Background (Magic), Spellcasting d8+, Fighting d8+
(bladesinger fluff text here - they're elven fighter/mages with a focus on agility, melee skill, and combat magic)
The effortless grace of a bladesinger allows them to avoid attacks that would otherwise strike home. While unencumbered (carrying less than her load limit) the bladesinger gains +1 to her Parry.
In addition, upon taking this Edge and at each new Rank, they may choose to change the trappings of one of the following powers to work only on themselves, but be activated as a free action: boost/lower trait, deflection, quickness, smite, or speed. The bladesinger must already have the power chosen, and this does not allow her to activate more than one power in a round.

Just blanket saying that they don't have to worry about a multi-action penalty for fighting + spellcasting is really powerful; most other edges that negate the MAP are things like running or tricks, which don't tend to be done all the time.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#3 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:47 pm

SteelDraco wrote:Adept's unarmed attack stuff doesn't really fit, but it does suggest that it's about as powerful as an Edge, since the unarmed combat portion of Adept is exactly the same as the Martial Artist edge.

Check the errata, or update your pdf. Because Adept requires Martial Artist.

That said, Adept is a good model for any sort of hybrid caster-fighter concept.

Something like:
Bladesinger (Professional)
Requirements: Novice, Arcane Background (Magic), Trademark Weapon, Spellcasting d8+, Fighting d10+, [Elf]
[Fluff text. This will determine if a non-elf can ever learn this edge.]
As a free action, a Bladesinger can spend 1 Power Point to gain AP 2 with all of his Trademark Weapon attacks until his next action.
In addition, upon taking this Edge and at each new Rank, they may choose to change the trappings of one of the following powers to work only on themselves but be activated as a free action: boost/lower trait, deflection, healing, smite, or speed. The Bladesinger must have the power to begin with, and this does not allow him to activate more than one power in a round.

Bam, they're sword-saints, able to channel magic during a fight to make themselves into frighteningly powerful warriors. Plus, they can always choose to off-hand, multi-action cast things like fireball (blast), magic missile (bolt), or domination (puppet), though they can't cast more than one power in a round.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

SteelDraco
Seasoned

#4 Postby SteelDraco » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:59 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:
SteelDraco wrote:Adept's unarmed attack stuff doesn't really fit, but it does suggest that it's about as powerful as an Edge, since the unarmed combat portion of Adept is exactly the same as the Martial Artist edge.

Check the errata, or update your pdf. Because Adept requires Martial Artist.

Huh, good to know. I'll update that now.

rodney418
Novice

#5 Postby rodney418 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:40 am

I built a 3.5 (ish) Bladesinger for my fantasy campaign, comments and further suggestions welcome:

https://medium.com/@rodneyorpheus/old-school-fantasy-for-savage-worlds-5c2e345c79c6#.k8x4vor7t

(Scroll to about 2/3 of the way down)

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”