House Rules for Fire-Arms; "No Power Points" Ammo

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

moonowl67
Seasoned

House Rules for Fire-Arms; "No Power Points" Ammo

#1 Postby moonowl67 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:14 pm

I run a relatively Resource-Management free science fantasy game (a post-scarcity Star-Trekish universe). I have them track fuel and ship supplies, but it's assumed that when they leave the ship, they have a couple of magazines (if they have that kind of weapon), 5 patches for the space-suits, etc.

We have moved over from a fantasy setting, and have encountered the rules for double-taps, three-round bursts and full auto fire. Similar to running powers (which are No Power Points) I'm looking to avoid having a running tally of hash-marks on character sheets (and NPC notes) to track ammunition. However, I'd like to capture the feel of possibly running out of ammo when higher rates of fire are used.

Here's the house-rule that i'm proposing:

Single-Shot: (Can’t think of one just yet, and I might not make one; your reward for taking it one shot at a time is less risk)

Double-Tap, or Three-Round burst: On a Critical Failure, you weren’t paying attention and ran out of ammo. Spend an action to re-load.

Full-Auto Fire: when the shooting die is 1, regardless of the wild die, you have run out of ammo and must spend an action to re-load.

Any thoughts on these?

Update: We voted and decided upon a simply tracking the Ammo. A little resource management needed, after-all . . .
Last edited by moonowl67 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

galu
Seasoned

Re: House Rules for Fire-Arms; "No Power Points" Ammo

#2 Postby galu » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:21 pm

Sounds good. Also very similar to what I use.

Weapons come with ammo represented by a die. Rare rounds (sniper, plasma, silver), or ammo for auto weapons is d4 or d6, not rare ammo is d6 or d8 (depends on scarcity)

Single-Shot: fine, see below
Double-Tap/Three-Round burst/full-auto: spend an action to re-load.

After the fights, let's see how much you have left: roll your ammo dice (without wild die!).
Fail: ammo dice goes down one step, if it was d4, you are out
Success: you are doing fine, ammo die stays as is

steelbrok
Veteran

#3 Postby steelbrok » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:59 pm

I've been trying a middle way rule, just counting magazines for wild cards:

In most modern or near modern scenarios soldiers will be starting out with three or four magazines with twenty to thirty rounds in each, between sixty and one hundred and twenty rounds.

That being so:

Note how many magazines each Wild Card has.

When Wild Cards fire single shots: forget about ammunition use. Think of some of the misses as actually being time spent reloading.

If a Wild Card fires a three round burst and rolls a one on their Shooting die a magazine is used up.

When firing full auto, if any of the dice is a one then a magazine is used up.

When a WC gets down to a single magazine, start counting ammo in individual rounds

moonowl67
Seasoned

#4 Postby moonowl67 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:05 pm

Both of those sound like really good suggestions - and definitely keep it Fast, Fun, and Furious. Thanks for the input!

I also kind of like the option presented in the Science Fiction Companion, but it does lessen the intended additional risk of using Autofire.

moonowl67
Seasoned

#5 Postby moonowl67 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:04 am

Heres an alternative based the option presented for tracking NPC ammo in the DCE;

Each character has five levels of ammo; very high, high, medium, low, and out.

When their initiative card is 5 or lower, they drop one level. If they used a double-tap, three round burst, they draw a card to see if their ammo level drops one (as above). If they use the a full auto, they must draw two cards.

You're still tracking ammo in a way, but it's simplified.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”