Spirit vs. Guts for Boot Hill

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Lustvig
Novice

Spirit vs. Guts for Boot Hill

#1 Postby Lustvig » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:38 pm

So, I'm running a conversion of a Boot Hill adventure and keep noodling this idea. In Boot Hill, "Bravery" is an important stat - it affects speed, fire accuracy, and NPCS must roll frequently to stay in a fight, since the rules/setting is so lethal (makes sense...)

But in my conversion to SW, is it better to use Spirit or Guts? I'm really torn as to which is more appropriate in a gritty setting ...
Contributing author, “D6 Adventure Locations” and “D6 Fantasy Creatures”; copy editor “Darwin's World 2nd edition”; RPG Director for Metro Detroit Gamers 2007-2010; Founder of Western Area Role Players in 1987 at Western Michigan University.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: Spirit vs. Guts for Boot Hill

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Guts is used solely to resist Fear effects.
Fear effects are caused by horrific situations (Fear/nausea) or panic-inducing spectacles (Fear/terror) or magic (fear).
Making Guts a skill says that not losing your lunch at a gruesome murder scene, or not fleeing at the first sign of the Nazi-zombie horde, requires training and effort. Talent helps (Spirit is the governing Attribute) but won't do it for you - that takes tremendous luck or actual training to control your fear responses.
It also implies that resisting Fear is as important, mechanically, as Noticing an ambush, Tracking bandits, Gambling at the tables, Fighting cowpokes, unnerving upstarts with a well-chosen Taunt, scaring off wolves with steely Intimidation, finding food and water and shelter for personal Survival, or Shooting those yellow-bellied bushwhackers.

Staying in a fight sounds equivalent to using Spirit to recover from Shaken.

It sounds like Bravery could have been named Combat and had the same game mechanics. So, I wouldn't get too attached to the name.

Edit: Just realize I may not have been clear. Spirit is generally the better choice. Only if Fear is a major theme, is Guts appropriate to a setting; even then, Pinnacle only uses it in the Weird West - every other Deadlands setting uses Spirit to resist Fear.
Last edited by ValhallaGH on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Snate56
Legendary

#3 Postby Snate56 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:00 am

Plus, in Deadlands, you get a +1 per rank for Grit.

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

kronovan
Heroic

#4 Postby kronovan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:21 pm

IMO Guts is only worth having in a setting when a Sanity feature/play mechanic is also in place. Although it at first seems like an annoying drain/diversion of skill points, Guts is actually easier to raise over a PC's career than Spirit, so if going insane from fear/terrifying circumstances is a threat Guts is the better option. As Valhalla already said, the feature you describe from the Boothill RPG sounds to equate to something other than Guts in SWD.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”