Savage Nightbane

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Sitting Duck
Legendary

Savage Nightbane

#1 Postby Sitting Duck » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:55 am

So not too long ago I got myself a copy of the Nightbane during a sale at Better World Books. Since then, I've worked on converting it to Savage Worlds. So far, I've got the races and the power baseline. A couple of the racial advantages and disadvantages required some eyeballing as regards their value. Any thoughts would be welcome.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: Savage Nightbane

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:04 am

Humans are hosed. They've got half the power limit (5 instead of 10), one third the starting points (5 instead of 15, because why wouldn't you take Super Karma?), has a maximum power total 10 less than any other race, and will always need a few seconds to get their "wards" (or whatever the common power trapping is) up. Since every 2 power points is about 1 Advance of power, humans would have to start off as Seasoned characters to start closing that power gap. Mystically Constricted is at least two Major hindrances, not one Minor.
You'd get a much more balanced effect by giving them the Out Of My League hindrance, automatically. They'd still have half the power limit, but the same points to work with, making them weaker but versatile. You might even require them to have Requires Activation on all permanent powers, as a Minor hindrance. You'll need to give them some equivalent benefits to balance it out (maybe a bonus to avoid coming to the attention of the Nightlords, because who can tell one human from another?), but they'd at least be worth playing.

Getting Arcane Background isn't a piece of racial balance in an SPC campaign. All player characters, and most important characters, will have it automatically.
Edit: This is an SPC campaign. So, everyone gets Arcane Background for free (see Arcane Background (Super Powers) on page 7). Are you changing that?

Looking again, your base racial balance seems to be +0. Which is a strange choice.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#3 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:35 am

Going off the wikipedia article it looks like most of the character types are modified humans.
Nightbanes are humans with an Alternate Form and Contingent for most of their abilities (or perhaps a Gimmick if they can't use any powers without transforming). Probably with Champion since they can harm the Ba'al.
Guardians are humans with Force Control (Light), various psionic abilities, and power-induced drawbacks (notably amnesia and pseudo-albinism).
Humans are the suckers in the middle of all this. They're either relying upon conventional training (ala Karin Murphy from the Dresden Files) or mystical training to be competitive. Either one can be represented with low end SPC powers.
Wampir are inhuman, probably with a fairly standardized power set.
Athanatos seem like four color or heavy hitter NPCs, not playable characters. They're either cavalry to bring in or a boss battle that could have been avoided.

I'm surprised that characters can't have magic equipment (i.e. Device powers with "magic gear" trappings). But maybe that's intended to be quest rewards?

Overall, I think you'd get better results by working up some "power templates" for each general type and letting players pick which one they want.
Example: GUARDIA Template - Force Control 2 (heavy weapon; Light), Healing, Mind Reading, 2 Power Points; all trappings are Light or Psychic; Edge: Champion; Hindrances: Distinctive Appearance, Heroic, Quirk (no memory before becoming a Guardian). It's a Street Fighter, Rising Star, with Super Karma, and the archetypal powers, with a bit of room for customization and lots of growth potential.

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#4 Postby Sitting Duck » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:54 pm

While employing the SPC and not allowing the Arcane Background as an automatic freebie is certainly unorthodox, I believe it's justified in this case. Also there is a precedence of sorts for this. In the first print of Necessary Evil, it was possible to play mundane humans, who got a second free Edge instead of AB (Super Powers). A campaign where the PCs are members of the Warlords or the Spook Squad would reasonably have mundane human characters (especially for the latter). Though on further reflection, Mystically Constricted is needlessly harsh, so I've switched it to Out of My League as suggested.

Though I only have the Core Book so far, I get the impression that magic items are quite rare. Hence why Device has been disallowed.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#5 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Sitting Duck wrote:While employing the SPC and not allowing the Arcane Background as an automatic freebie is certainly unorthodox, I believe it's justified in this case.

Fair enough. It's your conversion, you get to decide this kind of thing.
Sitting Duck wrote:A campaign where the PCs are members of the Warlords or the Spook Squad would reasonably have mundane human characters (especially for the latter).

That sounds like everyone is playing Gotham PD in a DC Universe campaign; plenty of NPCs have SPC powers but none of the player characters have it (at least, not to start). I'm saying it sounds like the exception, not the standard.
Sitting Duck wrote: Though on further reflection, Mystically Constricted is needlessly harsh, so I've switched it to Out of My League as suggested.

Glad that was helpful.

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#6 Postby Sitting Duck » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:31 am

I've just posted a new Hindrance. Not sure whether or not the major variant is too harsh though.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#7 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:04 am

I like it, though I think it should be a Minor-only Hindrance. Like Out of My League, a more restrictive version is too harsh to be worth taking.

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#8 Postby Sitting Duck » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Minor-only it is.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”