New Modern Horror Setting

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

DMbobby
Seasoned

New Modern Horror Setting

#1 Postby DMbobby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:04 pm

So I'm finally taking the time to clean up, refine, and better organize my home setting of Intrepid Investigators. I already did a good bit of the fluff work for my Ultimate Urban Fantasy guide for D&D, but I want to push it into the system where I started it with Savage Worlds. I know there's already some great material for SW with Marchland, ETU, and Deadlands Noire, but I'm hoping to bring a more tool kit based approach to adapt to more styles of modern horror and urban fantasy.

So far I have:
1. A "Tropes System" similar to iconic frameworks just on a smaller scale for anyone ranging from the Chosen Slayer to the Monster on the Side of Good and even the Comedic Relief.
2. Some new edges and hindrances, mostly regarding new systems being used.
3. A "Headquarters System" that adds meaningful choice to a group's approach as well as an outside way to help determine mood and theme that can handle anything from Scooby to Supernatural to Buffy to Ghoastbusters.
4. More balanced and playable rules for players that become or start as werewolves, vampires, a d undead while including mechanics that make each option feel completely different and heavily emulate the unique struggle each path would have to hold onto their humanity.
5. Multiple generators including an Adventure Generator, an Omen/Premonition Generator, and a Big Bad Generator.
6. A dynamic casting system which includes the temptation and possible corruption of magic in the word.

What I'm wondering however is if any of this is things other people want beyond what's already being offered and what else they'd like to see.
New blog up and running, http://gmtable.blogspot.com/ Reviews, adventures, tips and tricks for GMs

Thrallking
Novice

Re: New Modern Horror Setting

#2 Postby Thrallking » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:06 pm

It sounds good, and I, for one would love to see the finished product.
"If his armor is so good, why is he dead?"

DMbobby
Seasoned

#3 Postby DMbobby » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks to some good feedback I'm making a couple tweaks to not cause confusion with the Horror Companion. What has come out of it will be "Prime Time Demon Slayer" a setting book designed to let you build your own action horror series using the tropes and organization of a television series. This will still include all the material mentioned, but also tips for how to structure scenes, design Episodes (Adventures) and Seasons (Plot Point Campaigns) within the series you make depending on which options from the book you go with. My biggest goal is to have a tool kit that can handle Buffy, Supernatural, Ghostbusters, and Scooby Doo all with the same core rules and I think we've about cracked it with this structure.
New blog up and running, http://gmtable.blogspot.com/ Reviews, adventures, tips and tricks for GMs

DMbobby
Seasoned

#4 Postby DMbobby » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:48 pm

Good news, so far all the mechanics behind the tropes seems done and we just need the fluff and formatting so each trope gets their own page and everything is completely clear in both what is mechanically available as well as the conceptual range each trope can fill. On top of that the structure for the Big Bad generator is done. The individual mechanics still need some ironing, but as of now we can generate 1,300 unique Big Bads before you add their "Raising the Stakes" abilities so should definitely be robust enough to meet multiple campaign needs without getting stale.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”