Red Faction campaign

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Cheeslord
Novice

Red Faction campaign

#1 Postby Cheeslord » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:38 am

Hello everyone;

I just finished writing a small sci-fi campaign for my local gaming group, and thought I'd share it here. So far it has been an uphill battle against the forums AI. Anyway, it is loosely based on the Red Faction computer game from way back, and there will hopefully be sequels in future. Feedback welcome.

Mark.

Just a quick trial to see if the forum will detect and prevent links not flagged as URLS. You will need both the below files to run the campaign.

Aitch tee tee pee ess:**www,dropbox,com*s*j24rwm7rrn2cxpj*graphics1_NoLogo,pdf?dl=0

Aitch tee tee pee ess:**www,dropbox,com*s*s93j8e41j7g2eb7*Red%20Faction_NoLogo,pdf?dl=0

OK, now I know how hard the forum will work to prevent me submitting anything - you will have to replace the commas with dots and the aterisks with forward slashes, and spell HTTPS properly to make the above links work, if you can be bothered. I will seek for an easier to use place to put the links and let you know here if I find one.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: Red Faction campaign

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:18 am

Hello!

First time posters are not allowed to place links. We've had a lot of spammers at various points, and the moderators have tightened the restrictions.
But, engage in a conversation or two and you'll be able to post links at will.

Welcome to the forum.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Cheeslord
Novice

#3 Postby Cheeslord » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:41 am

Thanks.

Any idea how many posts will be required? When/if it allows me, I will re-edit the OP and fix the links.

Mark.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#4 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:24 am

No idea. The rules have changed a bit in the seven years since I was a single-digit poster.
My observation is that around the third or fourth post, you get linking abilities, but that may be inaccurate.

Looking at the documents, it looks like you're set up to just run the odd games as a table-top rpg. Which isn't a bad thing, but seems really limited, especially given the possibilities of the property. There's a lot of possibility in the setting, and it can go different directions than the games took it.
Rather than Pulse, why not 3RB? It's an existing mechanic, works pretty well, and doesn't excessively complicate things. Sure, the video-game mechanics aren't the same, but pulse fire was barely worth considering in my play experience.
The gear section is difficult to read. Lots of non-standard notes, custom abbreviations without any explanation, and serious deviation from the standards in the core rules.
The armors are easily overlooked, extremely powerful, and oddly weak. A melee build miner is likely to get Strength d12, yet by some reading a Heavy Combat Suit actually reduces his Strength to d10 (because he's naturally stronger than the servos in the armor). Also, no bullet resistance? Guard Armor could be +4 Armor, but if it ignored 2 AP from bullets then it would be notably better in combat than the Mining Hazard Suit (which is a bit too strong at +4 Armor).

Probably more, but I've got to go.

Cheeslord
Novice

#5 Postby Cheeslord » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:16 am

Thanks for the feedback. It's also the first time I (succesfully) used Dropbox so I'm glad it worked.

We play on Thursday evenings, and to some degree it ends up fitting to my groups playstyle - they prefer clear direction rather than completely open ended worlds, so I've tried to give them a clear motivation.

You're right, I could do a lot more on the presentation - it started out as just my GM notes. I like adding in custom rules for weird weapons though (yes, even in my first campaign). in case you didn't get the reference, Sturmms heavy pulse pistol is basically Robocops gun, and a unique item within the campaign, so it gets a special rule to represent its uniqueness. The same goes for the massive radioactive plasma cannon.

There is also the question of access to equipment. Players start as miners with virtually no resources and have no way to get weapons (unless they were inventive enough to smuggle some in). I made the miner armour relatively good so they would have a chance of defeating armed guards in the early encounters before they get any firepower (which they will have to scavenge, steal or improvise - currently the party have defeated Kapek and done both Winfords side quests, sent a signal to earth and are currently raiding the security complex for weapons, and still mostly are armed with 9mm pistols (though if they succeed at this task obviously they will get better guns)). The Heavy Combat Suit is only used by mercenaries towards the end of the campaign, and the players will have few chances to get a suit. I will amend it so that it is clear it never reduces strength.

I just didn't like the balance of the Kevlar mechanic in the rulebook - it made armour seem way too good against bullets and was an extra mechanic to remember to apply. Maybe it would have worked out OK though...

If I get time I will tidy up the document, but any changes other than clearing up typos etc. can be fed forward to Chapter 2: Guerillas in the Midst (i am skipping RF 2 as it had nothing to do with red faction or mars really, though a couple of NPC names made it in). I will take on board your advice about expanding the scope (after all, RFG was the first and only sandbox RF game, and in my opinion the best).

Thanks for the feedback,

Mark.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#6 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 am

Ah, the Auto 9. Essentially a 93R with a bunch of stuff bolted onto the front. :lol: For that, 3RB is the right mechanic, though there's an argument for RoF 3, with the notes SA and 3RB.

The Kevlar vest, as written, is way too good. :mad: But dropping it to negating ballistic AP 2 fixes it pretty well (works just as well against pistols, shotguns, and assault rifles, but only helpful against heavy firearms like .50 BMG instead of the current god-like). For the Guard Armor, I'm suggesting that it always grant +4 armor and negate 2 AP from guns ("Ballistic resistant, ensuring your security forces remain effective despite the accidental discharges common to long term live ammo posts!"), making it great against wrenches, standard sidearms, and light rifles but not good against heavy weapons (.50 BMG or better), fire, or penetrating melee weapons.
That gives a typical guard Toughness 9 (4), while pistols deal 2d6+1 (+1 for Double Tap), average 9.2 damage. Just enough to cause a Shaken, making the armor good enough that guards will typically emerge from a fire fight with nothing but minor bruising; however, focused fire (multiple shooters per guard), lucky shots (Acing damage, hit with Raise, or both), skilled shots (Called Shots for extra damage, hitting with Raise reliably), good use of supporting tactics (use of Tricks or Tests of Will to cause Shaken before shooting, various environmental effects), and powerful melee attacks can all drop guards reliably.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”