Angels and Demons as PC's?

A forum for discussing anything used to add to your Savage Worlds games; miniatures, terrain, character sheets, or game aides of any type.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Mtnoyster
Novice

Angels and Demons as PC's?

#1 Postby Mtnoyster » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:42 pm

Is there a SW product that provides rules for playing Angels and Demons are player characters?

Brickulos
Veteran

Re: Angels and Demons as PC's?

#2 Postby Brickulos » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:23 pm

I believe the Horror Companion has some options.

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#3 Postby SeeleyOne » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:51 pm

Savage In Nomine would be cool. For much of it you could use either the Super Heroes Companion or make up some Edges.
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

To be evil is to live backwards

skylion
Veteran

#4 Postby skylion » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:15 am

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#5 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:30 am

The Horror Companion has horribly unbalanced rules for playing angels or demons (if everyone is one then it's fine, if everyone is not the same race then it's busted).
Codex Infernus: The Savage Guide to Hell by Gun Metal Games, has rules for demonic-heritage Cambion characters. It has a bunch of material fitting for any campaign with a strong hell focus, from Buffy to Supernatural to "Sir Reginald and Friends Storm The Gates of Hell".
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Zero Mostel
Seasoned

#6 Postby Zero Mostel » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:28 pm

unless you are playing only Angels and Demons in a game, I personally don't think they should be PC's at all. IF you have them in a game as PC's why bother playing a human/mortal?

Demons, even reformed ones should be NPCs in the background, wheeling, dealing and being hunted by mortals.
Angels should never make a full appearance onstage, just be in the architecture. The Helpful NOC that cuts thru the red tape at the right time, and yet no one can remember her face. or the beggar who hands you a scrap of paper when in exchange for your coin. then it turns out this is a vital clue , but you will never see that beggar again.
As the chicken said to the lion, "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."

:blam:

Deskepticon
Veteran

#7 Postby Deskepticon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:30 am

Zero Mostel wrote:unless you are playing only Angels and Demons in a game, I personally don't think they should be PC's at all. IF you have them in a game as PC's why bother playing a human/mortal?

You could always give the humans a few extra Advances to start. Not a bad idea if they are going to be battling demons!

Demons, even reformed ones should be NPCs in the background, wheeling, dealing and being hunted by mortals.
Angels should never make a full appearance onstage, just be in the architecture. The Helpful NOC that cuts thru the red tape at the right time, and yet no one can remember her face. or the beggar who hands you a scrap of paper when in exchange for your coin. then it turns out this is a vital clue , but you will never see that beggar again.

This is fine advice for a Buffy-type setting, where the angels and demons alike don't want to announce their presence, but it's hardly a good blanket rule. An "End Times" campaign, with earth as the literal battleground, is an interesting idea for a setting.

Zero Mostel
Seasoned

#8 Postby Zero Mostel » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:41 pm

Deskepticon wrote:
Zero Mostel wrote:unless you are playing only Angels and Demons in a game, I personally don't think they should be PC's at all. IF you have them in a game as PC's why bother playing a human/mortal?

You could always give the humans a few extra Advances to start. Not a bad idea if they are going to be battling demons!

This is fine advice for a Buffy-type setting, where the angels and demons alike don't want to announce their presence, but it's hardly a good blanket rule. An "End Times" campaign, with earth as the literal battleground, is an interesting idea for a setting.

Battling demons is one thing. At that point they are suppose to be big bad and bitchen. But at that point you don't want them as PC's. An End time Game? I expect the PC's to be heroic at least. Maybe have a few super powers. But at that Point, after you save the world, what do you do for an encore?
As the chicken said to the lion, "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#9 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:50 pm

Zero Mostel wrote:after you save the world, what do you do for an encore?

Retire? Activate your epic destiny? Wander off into the wastes as a potential origin point for a future character? Die a penniless alcoholic in a gutter?
What does any character do after saving the world?

Zero Mostel
Seasoned

#10 Postby Zero Mostel » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:08 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:
Zero Mostel wrote:after you save the world, what do you do for an encore?

Retire? Activate your epic destiny? Wander off into the wastes as a potential origin point for a future character? Die a penniless alcoholic in a gutter?
What does any character do after saving the world?

Well, after one game where we saved the world for the 6th time in a year, I did my best to destroy it. Then I found out the game ran on rails fso I quit.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#11 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:15 pm

Sympathies. I've been in a couple of those campaigns. Quitting is usually the right call.

Ilina_Young
Veteran

#12 Postby Ilina_Young » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:32 pm

if you want to play an "Angel" or "Demon". take a base race with the features you want, take Arcane Background as an Edge, Apply Trappings. an Avion who Takes Arcane Background (Miracles) can Easily play the role of a modern angel, just as a human Who Takes Arcane Background (Psionics) and Attractive could Easily play the Role of a Succubus. in Fact, a Small Elf with Psionics and Attractive could easily be a Nymph or a Gnome. Upgrades can be bought with Advances.

Xanty
Novice

#13 Postby Xanty » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:12 am

I can see creating a custom Iconic Framework for Angels and Demons for Savage Rifts using the Super Powers Companion to build it. The consensus is about 45 power points worth of powers approximately makes an Iconic Framework... then add in some disadvantages. I believe someone has a link to a Demigod or Godling created Iconic Framework already somewhere on this page, and either of those could be tweaked for either a Demon or an Angel.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Return to “SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides”