Randy Grifter Trappings

All discussions about the new Noir setting for Deadlands and Savage Worlds. It's 1935 and the only thing that isn't in short supply is trouble.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
Dolomite23
Veteran
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:18 pm
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Contact:

Randy Grifter Trappings

#1 Postby Dolomite23 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:35 am

I have a Grifter in my group, Allegro Jones, and his vice is women. I was trying trapping for his powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Detect/Conceal Arcana and Invisibility. Any Ideas?

User avatar
VonDan
Legendary
Posts: 4061
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:36 am
Contact:

#2 Postby VonDan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:24 am

To gather ideas you should research "Leisure Suit Larry"

User avatar
Ray
Veteran
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:14 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

#3 Postby Ray » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:53 pm

A little black book with lots of phone numbers, and stars indicating what he thinks of the women... :twisted:
"Grab a wackin' stick, boy! Time to learn these here undead some manners!" - Percy Spencer, to his Son, Kevin.

MagusRogue
Seasoned
Posts: 432
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:48 pm

#4 Postby MagusRogue » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:24 pm

Not too much help, but I also got a sex addict grifter. His powers are a little... weird. Stun is a mass arousal blast that overloads people's senses and drops them in a bit of euphoria, while his Bolt is a purple blast that overloads someone's pleasure centers so much they hemorrhage.

The core rulebook does state if you can't make a trapping fit, just have it either be a purple haze or invisible. Invisibility would just let him disappear in a purple mist, Boost/Lower could be increasing endorphins (typically those caused in sex) to either stimulate parts of another into excellence or overstimulate to the point of hindering, and Detect/Conceal would have no trappings at all.
Adam Loyd
Freelancer and Proofreader (check me out in the Noir books!)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this rant is over.

User avatar
Ray
Veteran
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:14 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

#5 Postby Ray » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:53 am

"Lingerie... Do you remember lingerie?"
"Grab a wackin' stick, boy! Time to learn these here undead some manners!" - Percy Spencer, to his Son, Kevin.

User avatar
VonDan
Legendary
Posts: 4061
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:36 am
Contact:

#6 Postby VonDan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:07 am

Have a side adventure for the player like one of the Leisure Suit Larry games

He awakes in a cheap hotel with no memory of the last week, in his pockets are 57 cents, A half bottle of night train, a roll of condoms, a half used match book from a sleezy bar with a smeared phone number, a massage coupon and one size xxx silk stocking.

Now he has to find out ware that satchel of money from the last scam at the mayors buccaneer ball is

siefertma
Seasoned
Posts: 463
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 12:03 am
Location: Muskego, WI
Contact:

#7 Postby siefertma » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:36 am

MagusRogue wrote:Not too much help, but I also got a sex addict grifter. His powers are a little... weird. Stun is a mass arousal blast that overloads people's senses and drops them in a bit of euphoria, while his Bolt is a purple blast that overloads someone's pleasure centers so much they hemorrhage.


Heh, reminds me of a one of the temple spells of Dlamélish from Tékumel that can stun by inducing an orgasm. A higher level and fatal varient the spell is used as a form of ritual suicide by older priests/priestesses who wish to die before age consumes their beauty. One last moment of earthly ecstasy and their spirit-souls are instantly sent to the Emerald Kisosk to enjoy the eternal pleasures of the their goddess.

Not a bad way to go.
Be Aggressive,
Mark A. Siefert

Visit No School Like The Old School: http://noschoololdschoolgames.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Ray
Veteran
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:14 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

#8 Postby Ray » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:56 am

VonDan wrote:He awakes in a cheap hotel with no memory of the last week, in his pockets are 57 cents, A half bottle of night train, a roll of condoms, a half used match book from a sleezy bar with a smeared phone number, a massage coupon and one size xxx silk stocking.
I think most PCs would refer to that as "Tuesday Morning", and the Night Train would be empty just as the pain in the skull starts... :lol:

Another good idea would be girlfriends finding out about each other... Having one in every Port is easy. Every neighborhood... A bit harder. :twisted:
"Grab a wackin' stick, boy! Time to learn these here undead some manners!" - Percy Spencer, to his Son, Kevin.

farik
Seasoned
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:45 pm

#9 Postby farik » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:27 am

For invisibility I'd require the target to strip naked and the trapping would be everyone would unconsciously avert their eyes.

For boost and lower trait I'd make it depend on the trait. Rolling up sleeves and flexing for strength unbuttoning the shirt for vigor, putting on sexy glasses for smarts or knowledge skills. Stripping to the waist for swimming etc.

Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:11 pm

#10 Postby Demonicuss Krinn » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:06 pm

I don't know, I get the feeling most trappings for a randy grifter would generally wind up too comedic for Noir, with things already listed such as Leisure Suit Larry, and what I first thught of, the Orgazmiator from the movie Orgazmo

I figure for something less comedic, perhaps something emotionally based? Like, your victim feels like he walked in and saw his beloved in another's arms, so now your bolt can be called the Heartbreaker, or you can grift a mark into a jealous rage, or boost his Agility or Spirit so she feels she's walkin' on sunshine.

Love and lust don't automatically mean bedroom activities.

User avatar
JarJarMessiah
Seasoned
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:25 pm
Location: Enumclaw

#11 Postby JarJarMessiah » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:51 am

Invisibility: A sexy red head the distracts everyone so no one is looking at the grifter.
Detect arcana: A sexy blonde walks up to the grifter a whispers the location and origin of enchanted items.
Boost Trait: A sexy brunette gives the grifter a passionate kiss for "good luck".
Lower trait: She kisses the target and he gets "weak in the knees".
"I feel I can warm hearts as well as break bones."- Steven Seagal

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 20361
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

Re: Randy Grifter Trappings

#12 Postby Clint » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Dolomite23 wrote:I have a Grifter in my group, Allegro Jones, and his vice is women. I was trying trapping for his powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Detect/Conceal Arcana and Invisibility. Any Ideas?


Not to be Mr. Rules (well, I guess I am kind of legally that), but Invisibility is a Seasoned Rank power. Are all the characters starting at a higher Rank or is this guy taking Veteran of the Concrete Jungle?

As far as thematic but more noir style trappings, how about this for Boost/Lower Trait.

The target gains the Trait of one of the grifter's previous lovers (could be increased or decreased). If used on the caster, there's no additional effect, but if used on others, the personality of the lover might affect them.

The target (of the boost or lower version) has to make an opposed Spirit roll vs. the casting result. If the target fails and the Spellcasting die result is even, the target gains the Loyal Hindrance for the Grifter (getting some feelings of attachment for him). But if the Spellcasting die result is odd, the target gains the Vengeful (Minor) Hindrance towards the grifter (getting feelings of betrayal and abandonment for him).
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Dolomite23
Veteran
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:18 pm
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Contact:

#13 Postby Dolomite23 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:51 am

Clint, I stand corrected it wasn't Invisibility, it was Bolt. Thanks guys this helps alot.

cloudshaper2k
Novice
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Randy Grifter Trappings

#14 Postby cloudshaper2k » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:43 am

Clint wrote:As far as thematic but more noir style trappings, how about this for Boost/Lower Trait.

The target gains the Trait of one of the grifter's previous lovers (could be increased or decreased). If used on the caster, there's no additional effect, but if used on others, the personality of the lover might affect them.

The target (of the boost or lower version) has to make an opposed Spirit roll vs. the casting result. If the target fails and the Spellcasting die result is even, the target gains the Loyal Hindrance for the Grifter (getting some feelings of attachment for him). But if the Spellcasting die result is odd, the target gains the Vengeful (Minor) Hindrance towards the grifter (getting feelings of betrayal and abandonment for him).


Hmm . . . additional suggestion - he can only use the Traits of his most recent lover for the power.

tytalan
Novice
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 6:06 pm

Re: Randy Grifter Trappings

#15 Postby tytalan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Has anyone thought up this type of set up for a female one of the woman in my group is thinking about being a grifter with the vice of being a sexaholic?


Return to “Deadlands Noir”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest