Anyone else got their own monsters?

All discussions about the new Noir setting for Deadlands and Savage Worlds. It's 1935 and the only thing that isn't in short supply is trouble.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Dolomite23
Veteran

Anyone else got their own monsters?

#1 Postby Dolomite23 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:13 pm

Has anyone created any unique creatures for their games?

I have a lot of Blues influences in my game and after reading the Savage tale about the "Red Rum", I decided to come up with a creature of my own called Firebellies. They are poor souls that after drinking tainted Sterno, they become fire breathing pyromaniacs.

Corey
Novice

#2 Postby Corey » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:42 pm

Not yet, but I imagine I will once I have a Noir game going. I usually tinker with and create stuff, and the system is easy enough to tamper with.

MarshalLV
Novice

#3 Postby MarshalLV » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:02 pm

Not just yet, but I'm planning to have the players investigate some grizzly deaths taking place in an amusement park at some point with possessed animatronics as the main threat. I also want to run a scenario with something to do with the Hunting Grounds, so I'll probably have to come up with some spirits.

otherdoc
Seasoned

#4 Postby otherdoc » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:07 pm

Lately I'm a bit obsessed with the idea of putting together some one-shots that reinject a touch of the Western elements back into the game to make a sort of Western/Noir mashup, so I've been trying to come up with era-appropriate monsters that still have a little bit of western flavor to them. Dustbowl-type stuff. Beasts out of dark hobo legends, that kind of thing. I think I need to watch more movies set in the Depression era because at the moment all my monster ideas seem to be coming out of O Brother Where Art Thou? (That said, I recently came across Bad Day at Black Rock, which is set in the 1940s and is a detective/noir-type story but also has strong Western elements - hopefully I'll have a chance to take a look at it soon. And make monsters.)
My Blog: Jim - Yes, THAT Jim
My Setting Creation Podcast: Crucible of Realms
My RPG Podcast: The Great Debate!

Billybuck Dancer
Seasoned

#5 Postby Billybuck Dancer » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:06 pm

I haven't used minotaur-like yard bulls in my Noir game, but the idea's there.

I have used reskinned shiwana and uwannami statistics (DL:R The Last Sons, pg. 305) as drought spirits and polluted water spirits.

Return to “Deadlands Noir”