Deadlands the 80s

All discussions about the new Noir setting for Deadlands and Savage Worlds. It's 1935 and the only thing that isn't in short supply is trouble.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

OSIAdept
Legendary

Deadlands the 80s

#1 Postby OSIAdept » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:56 pm

Has anyone thougth about using Noir as a jumping point for a Dark version of Deadlands america in the 80s.

Marshalonwheels
Seasoned

#2 Postby Marshalonwheels » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:21 pm

i've done it with limited success. the overarching plot involved a cult of watley's profiting from the cold war. it lasted 3 sessions.

the Falklands War was going to be a big deal with the CSA sending troops to assist the UK

Corey
Novice

#3 Postby Corey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:54 am

I'm imagining a gritty version of vice city ;)

Tequila Jones
Novice

#4 Postby Tequila Jones » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:26 am

Corey wrote:I'm imagining a gritty version of vice city ;)

Those shiny colorful skirts... with skulls! :razz:

Corey
Novice

#5 Postby Corey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:33 am

Tequila Jones wrote:

Haha yea. Or palm trees with oil leaking off them...

Throw in a couple of bad discos, crooked cops, a gang who all have flock-of-seagulls cuts and you're gold.

No but seriously, it's a cool idea.

Sweeper
Seasoned

#6 Postby Sweeper » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:25 am

When I hear Deadlands in the 1980s, the first thing that pops to mind is Frank Miller taken to 11 with a dash of Delta Green for added effect.

I could see actual deadland areas popping up in major cities where corruption is at it's worse.

And to take the Delta Green idea a bit further, there could be a time where The Agency and The Texas Rangers could be quitely "overthrown" by some Servitors and the ousted agents have to work without support to fight the good fight; maybe even working together across borders.
I'm wise enough to know that I don't know half as much as I think I know. Y'know?

MarshalLV
Novice

#7 Postby MarshalLV » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:49 am

Corey wrote:
Tequila Jones wrote:

Haha yea. Or palm trees with oil leaking off them...

Throw in a couple of bad discos, crooked cops, a gang who all have flock-of-seagulls cuts and you're gold.

No but seriously, it's a cool idea.

It certainly is! Just add drug cartels smuggling cocaine mixed with ghost rock powder and you're all set. :D

VonDan
Legendary

#8 Postby VonDan » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:23 am

A descendant of Lacy O'Mally working as a Photo Journalist for a tabloid like Kolchak and also as the manager for three 80 spy chicks, O' Mally's Angels

Marshalonwheels
Seasoned

#9 Postby Marshalonwheels » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:08 pm

MarshalLV wrote:It certainly is! Just add drug cartels smuggling cocaine mixed with ghost rock powder and you're all set. :D

the say cocaine is a Hell of a Drug...welcome to hell.

i imagine it like Valkyrie from max pain. most people get a +1 to all trait rolls and an additional +1 to fear as they feel the Guardian Angels are watching for 1 hour then a fatigue penalty of -1 and a -2 notice for 1d4 hours.

Those who "Walk through Hells Gates" (fail a spirit -number of total doses in the week roll) see the angels as they really are Evil Souls from the ghostrock

they go on the Highway to Hell for 1d4 hours
-no wound penalties
-plus +2 to all trait rolls
-Can see the supernatural/invisible as it is
-Fearless (except the "hitchhiker")
-Deathwish (out do the hitchhiker)
-Bloodthirsty
-overconfident
- -3 against test of wills against the Hitchhiker

when She walks the highway to hell she brings along a hitchhiker a Manitou who goads the druggie in to "challenges" designed to get her killed. if the user dies during the trip She comes back harrowed. She appears to go into a coma rather then die though.

Harrowed can use Ghost Rock Cocaine but can't walk through Hell's Gates. instead if they fail the spirit roll they lose 1 dominion point. one dose of GRC also replaces the need for the harrowed to sleep for one day.

Snate56
Legendary

#10 Postby Snate56 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:48 pm

I would say it has as much effect on a Harrowed's dead body as alcohol has.

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

VonDan
Legendary

#11 Postby VonDan » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:09 pm

If it is the 80's that means big hair

What sort of effect would ghost rock hair spray have on Stone's Grand Daughter Jane Harrow and why is she still in High School since 1957

Nordicnomad
Seasoned

#12 Postby Nordicnomad » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:51 pm

Deadlands Vice sounds like an amazing setting idea!
“He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and can see the turn of the universe. and... he's wonderful."

VonDan
Legendary

#13 Postby VonDan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:46 am

Nordicnomad wrote:Deadlands Vice sounds like an amazing setting idea!

Some one around here has a little setting and some rules for A Miami Vice clone

Marshalonwheels
Seasoned

#14 Postby Marshalonwheels » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:15 am

Snate56 wrote:I would say it has as much effect on a Harrowed's dead body as alcohol has.

SteveN

as you like. i suppose that just cutting it with Ghost rock isn't enough but there's bound to be a mad scientist out there that has heard the right whispers :twisted:

JoeDeschain
Novice

#15 Postby JoeDeschain » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:27 pm

...Play Hotline Miami and Hotline Miami: Wrong Number and you got deadlands on the 80's ;)

KujakuDM
Seasoned

#16 Postby KujakuDM » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:39 am

Lost Colony has rules for Main Lining Ghost Rock a la' Heroin. It is the worst thing you can do to your own body.

KujakuDM
Seasoned

#17 Postby KujakuDM » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:47 am

To me, Deadlands in the 80's would be an expy of the Neon Punk, Gang War, Vice City type media.

Mayors are corrupt and named things like "Big Boss" or "Mr. X" and when they aren't they have to go out and handle things on their own Mike Haggar style.

Cops are barely functioning and mired in red tape except for a few reckless cops who routinely get yelled at by their Sargent. Often they turn in their badge and go on a rip roaring right through the neon city streets fighting off gang members in rubber jackets with spike Mohawks on their quest to find the leader, a la Streets of Rage.

Sprinkle in some supernatural, some mad science, and a bit of new wave style for taste and you have an Idea of what I imagine.

Stoffermann
Novice

#18 Postby Stoffermann » Sat May 23, 2015 6:49 am

I've been thinking the same, and I have my own Deadlands Vice campaign in the planning stage.

Setting rules
Deadlands vice uses the Deadlands Noir rules with the following additions:

The Sunshine State
The sun loves Miami and Miami loves the sun. When the sun is out, all fear levels are one level lower. When darkness descends, as it does rapidly in Miami, all fear levels return to their full values.

Spook juice
For a while, most industrial nations relied on gasoline for fuel, but when the 1973 Oil Crisis rolled around, the United States decided to rely more heavily on domestic fuel sources. It was pretty obvious North America lacked the easily accessible oil resources of the Middle East, so the US instead turned to ghost rock.

A few big brains managed to invent a process through which ghost rock could be melted without catching fire, and then figured out how to distil the good parts out as fuel. At the time, drivers needed to purchase a fuel converter for their vehicles to run on spook juice, but it didn’t take long for Detroit to fall in step and start manufacturing cars that ran exclusively on the stuff. At first, spook juice multiplied noise pollution many times, but engineers pretty quickly figured out how to modify mufflers to stifle the screaming.

Technological espionage being what it was between the two nations, CSA spies quickly stole the process for refining spook juice. It wasn’t long before first world nations the world over were refining spook juice and driving spook juice powered cars.

By the way, if you’re stupid enough, you can drink spook juice. It’s got twice the kick of any other hooch, but sometimes the kick is deadly. A pint of the stuff causes a level of Fatigue that takes 6 hours to recover. Draw a card for each pint consumed. If you pull a Joker, you die, pal.

Emerald
Deadlands Vice takes place in a city at war over the drug trade. The four major drugs traded are heroin, marijuana, cocaine and emerald. The three first are real world drugs, the fourth is more insidious. Cocaine and sodium bicarbonate are mixed with spook juice to create a potent drug. Emerald is Famine’s deadly contribution to the drug wars of the 1980s, and her play for more Harrowed to control.

Smoking emerald is less deadly than drinking spook juice. Deal a card for each dose consumed, unless you are a grifter. If you pull a Joker, you take a permanent -1 die type to your vigor. Characters with d4 vigor fall into a coma immediately and return in d4 days as a faminite.

Emerald removes a level of fatigue instantly, but for the each of the next three hours the character must make a vigor roll or suffer a level of Fatigue that can only be removed by Greater Healing, another dose of Emerald or passing a vigor test after at least 8 hours sleep.

Grifters do not suffer these effects: a dose of emerald restores 1d6 Power Points, but causes a level of fatigue but causes a level of Fatigue as the grifter is high. It takes 4 hours to recover each level of Fatigue, which no magic or tech can aid (including powers such as succor). During this time, the Grifter cannot recover Power Points normally. A grifter who is killed while high on emerald draws two extra cards to see if she comes back Harrowed.

Arcane Backgrounds

Grifters
Grifters function as in the Deadlands Noir book, but their addiction in Deadlands Vice is always drugs, they may have other addictions but chasing that high I the only thing that feeds the spirits.

The Blessed and Voodoo
Due to the influx of Catholics from Latin America and immigrants and refugees from the Caribbeans, both Arcane Background (Blessed) and Arcane Background (Voodoo) are appropriate for a Deadwoods Vice campaign.

Sykers
Sykers are common in this age and follow the rules described in the Deadlands Noir companion. Many sykers are Vietnam veterans and were discharged and placed on the reserve lists – these do not have the Wanted hindrance, but the Obligation (minor) hindrance to represent their status as reservists. Syker assistance can be requested by any branch of the Federal or Confederate governments.

Patent Scientists
Patent science is more subtle than in the past, and is starting to embrace the emerging computing revolution. However, since the nuclear revolution, the spirits are no longer talking to individuals, but are working through supercomputers and corporate and government research facilities. No one has become a patent scientist since the Manhattan Project. Any patent scientist must take the Elderly hindrance in addition to Delusion, without getting any extra benefits apart from the bonus skill points granted by the hindrance.

Character Generations

New Hindrances

Undercover (Major) – your character is an undercover agent for a law enforcement agency or a criminal organisation. His current status (Poor, Comfortable, Rich, Filthy Rich) is tied to his assignment, and he is returned to a comfortable lifestyle if it is uncovered. Furthermore, he receives - 4 Charisma with the organisation he was undercover in and the
Enemy (major) hindrance, unless he chose to favour the criminal organisation, in which case he reeives a -4 Charisma with Law Enforcement and the Wanted (major) hindrance. Witness protection may be a good idea at this point. He is undercover for a reason, not following orders can have serious repercussions.

Drifter (major) – your character is not poor, but he has no roots. He does not have a home or steady job, so a lot of his money goes to securing temporary digs. Any money left at the end of an adventure is halved before the next one. Make a vigor check at the start of each adventure or start with one level of fatigue from living rough, doing back-breaking labour, just arriving from out of state, etc.

New Edges

Background
Veteran of the Green Hell (Replaces Veteran of the Concrete Jungle)
Requirements: Wild Card, Novice, Spirit d6+, Knowledge (Occult) d6+, Shooting d6+

Your Character was up country in Vietnam, and saw some s@$%. It shows up every time you close your eyes. They were just kids, man, just f%$&#$ kids.

The character starts the game with +20 Experience Points (typically four extra Advances). This Edge can only be taken at character creation.
There’s a price, though. If you take this Edge, draw a single card from the Action Deck and show it to your Marshal. He’ll check the table on page 96 to see just what kind of bad luck your trooper wandered into. If you draw a Joker, keep drawing until you get a red or black card and tell your Marshal which you got. If your deck has red and black Jokers, just use that instead.
Beware, because the results can be quite extreme—from serious maiming to insanity. Your Marshal has the details (use the normal table). You’ve been warned, tough guy.

Professional
Texas Ranger (DEA)
Requirements: Novice, d6 shooting, d6 streetwise, d4 intimidation.
+2 Charisma to when dealing with law enforcement or while searching for information about drug dealers or traffickers. Connections in the Agency.
Smuggler
Requirements: Novice, d6 piloting, boating OR driving, d6 repair
You have access to vehicles through your smuggling contacts. This can be handled via patter. A cumulative -1 to the check applies for every vehicle not returned or package not delivered. Running a job for the contact may remove the penalty. Your Marshall will rule if the type of vehicle is possible to obtain, a speedboat may be, but a merchant tanker certainly is not.
Any check to Notice items you have concealed on board vehicles (using repair) or on your person (using stealth) is at -2. Also receives the Hindrance Obligation (minor), as he will on occasion be required to smuggle something for his contacts, without any additional benefit..

Borrowing vehicles:
Tie: A junker, he borrows a used and basic version (lowest cost) of type of vehicle he is interested in.
1-2 successes: He can borrow a basic version (lowest cost) of type of vehicle he is interested in.
3-4 successes: He can borrow whichever (civilian) version of the type of vehicle he is interested in.
5 + successes: As above, but he doesn’t have to deliver anything at the same time.

Starting Funds
Starting characters are assumed to have a rented apartment, a used compact car or motorcycle, and the trappings of a 1980s middle class lifestyle. Characters may start with $ 500 with which to purchase starting equipment.

Poor characters can have a cheap apartment OR a used vehicle. Destitute characters take the bus, and may sleep on it as well.

Rich and filthy rich characters have an appropriate lifestyle – including vehicles, penthouse apartments and boats.

Equipment
Modern equipment from the SWEX is appropriate to a Deadlands Vice campaign as long as you keep the selection of gear to a 1980’s theme, i.e. no small cell phones. [/b]

DMbobby
Seasoned

#19 Postby DMbobby » Sun May 31, 2015 8:10 am

Seriously Pinnacle please please PLEASE put out a supplement for this with a plot point. It could be amazing and I'd love to see them to a good Vice story.
New blog up and running, http://gmtable.blogspot.com/ Reviews, adventures, tips and tricks for GMs

Return to “Deadlands Noir”