Lucifer Whateley

All discussions about the new Noir setting for Deadlands and Savage Worlds. It's 1935 and the only thing that isn't in short supply is trouble.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

engineofdifference
Novice

Lucifer Whateley

#1 Postby engineofdifference » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:55 am

So i had the idea to transplant some of the Whateley clan to Noir New Orleans, something about the decaying plantation mansions and the Whateleys seems to be appropriate, anyone remember if there's anything definitive written about what happens to Lucifer after Black Circle? It is written that when the boy reaches maturity, Knicknevin is going to possess his body, can't remember if there's anymore after that. I know in the Flood there's a few tales related to the Whateleys, but they do seem to have branches of the family everywhere, anyone got any ideas?

Tequila Jones
Novice

#2 Postby Tequila Jones » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:22 am

This topic is covered in The Flood. Unfortuantely, due to Licensing issues, the plot is closed rather abruptly.

Without going int details, in the remains of a town that once used to be Gomorra, the Posse ecounters a boy called "Caretaker", who is clearly Lucifer. Together they embark on a journey to find the remaining family members but it all ends with a death of all Whateleys.

As I wrote, it all boils down to Licensing issues - no further developments on the topic - until The Cackler releases I guess.

Hop eI helped.

engineofdifference
Novice

#3 Postby engineofdifference » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:37 am

I've got the Flood, i guess i must have missed that in my reading, he doesn't have anything like the powers Lucifer does in Black Circle, not even Clovis.

Tequila Jones
Novice

#4 Postby Tequila Jones » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:13 am

The way I understand this, Pinnacle could use the name Gomorra but no particular names, That is why you have a boy named "Caretaker" and The Whateleys but none of them is named, e.g. Nicodemus.

If you inserted Clovis or the heritage, it would be directly referencing the character. That's the way I understand it.

Jonah Hex
Veteran

#5 Postby Jonah Hex » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:12 pm

Tequila Jones wrote:The way I understand this, Pinnacle could use the name Gomorra but no particular names, That is why you have a boy named "Caretaker" and The Whateleys but none of them is named, e.g. Nicodemus.

Except that Nicodemus is named in the Whately/Caretaker Savage Tale.
Playing GURPS Victorian Monster Hunters (hiatus)
Running D&D 5e Encounters
Running GURPS Deadlands (Last Sons)

otherdoc
Seasoned

#6 Postby otherdoc » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:09 pm

Jonah Hex wrote:
Tequila Jones wrote:The way I understand this, Pinnacle could use the name Gomorra but no particular names, That is why you have a boy named "Caretaker" and The Whateleys but none of them is named, e.g. Nicodemus.

Except that Nicodemus is named in the Whately/Caretaker Savage Tale.

Well, sort of. They mention a character who used to be Nicodemus and there's a letter supposedly written by him, so you could conceivably argue that while he is referenced indirectly, he doesn't technically appear.

(Though admittedly the ice may be a tad thin on that one...)
My Blog: Jim - Yes, THAT Jim
My Setting Creation Podcast: Crucible of Realms
My RPG Podcast: The Great Debate!

Tinhorn Huckster
Seasoned

#7 Postby Tinhorn Huckster » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:29 pm

Tequila Jones wrote:[...]but it all ends with a death of all Whateleys.

Wait, what? The Whateleys were killed off? But the protagonist of the Blood and Roses short story is a Whateley!
Why, yes, indeed: I am rather proud of my skill at discourse - my rhetorics, if you will. It would be my great pleasure to broker peace between you good sirs and the Indians.
Incidentally, would any of you gentlemen lend me a deck?

zangari
Novice

#8 Postby zangari » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:51 pm

Tinhorn Huckster wrote:
Tequila Jones wrote:[...]but it all ends with a death of all Whateleys.

Wait, what? The Whateleys were killed off? But the protagonist of the Blood and Roses short story is a Whateley!

Well not so much as killed off, but turned into slug demons.

Tequila Jones
Novice

#9 Postby Tequila Jones » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:32 am

[b]Tinhorn Huckster[/b] - to adress your question, there are numerous Whateley family branches. The one in Gommorra is the one most widely present in the books but there at least a dozen of different ones.

Return to “Deadlands Noir”