So...Stone during the Noire Era. What Changed on Him?

All discussions about the new Noir setting for Deadlands and Savage Worlds. It's 1935 and the only thing that isn't in short supply is trouble.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

JoeDeschain
Novice

So...Stone during the Noire Era. What Changed on Him?

#1 Postby JoeDeschain » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:10 pm

im currently running a DLClassic game. but in my game i made stone pretty much a nuclear bomb. Whenever he gets to a town NOTHING survives (and he usually blows up towns like in the cover of Boomtown), he isnt quite sutil about him beeing around, always followed by a scent of dread and damnation.

Thing is...Id magine that in Noire he is more of a Hitman in a way, more suave and sutil even, trying to pass around as a human perhaps to keep his work more hidden. making mobsters belive he works for them but in reality he works for The Reckoners..

My interpretation might be wrong about how he might be potrayed in Noire. but is there any material or could someone tell me what changed on his personality?
Do pardon my bad english, Aint my first language.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: So...Stone during the Noire Era. What Changed on Him?

#2 Postby Clint » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:52 am

JoeDeschain wrote:im currently running a DLClassic game. but in my game i made stone pretty much a nuclear bomb. Whenever he gets to a town NOTHING survives (and he usually blows up towns like in the cover of Boomtown), he isnt quite sutil about him beeing around, always followed by a scent of dread and damnation.

Thing is...Id magine that in Noire he is more of a Hitman in a way, more suave and sutil even, trying to pass around as a human perhaps to keep his work more hidden. making mobsters belive he works for them but in reality he works for The Reckoners..

My interpretation might be wrong about how he might be potrayed in Noire. but is there any material or could someone tell me what changed on his personality?

Well, nothing really changed, it's portraying him as a "nuclear bomb" in the first place that's not really accurate to his personality.

If nothing else, the Devil's Tower trilogy showed Stone's subtlety and deviousness, even for the younger version who pretends to be human to get heroes to release him from the Rock.

The cover to Boomtowns is thematically cool, but that would be the exception to Stone's style not the rule.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

KujakuDM
Seasoned

#3 Postby KujakuDM » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:42 am

Stone is more of an assassin who can go nuclear when he needs to. Which isn't often.

The explosive version of stone is fun, but Stone is the single deadliest thing in the west (possible exception being the cackler). He doesn't even have to try.

Evil Genius Prime
Seasoned

#4 Postby Evil Genius Prime » Wed May 20, 2015 3:02 am

So, is Stone indeed still roaming around in the Noir era, putting down heroes who get too close to legendary status?

KujakuDM
Seasoned

#5 Postby KujakuDM » Wed May 20, 2015 7:56 am

He is still out and about in the Wasted West, so the early 1900's isn't any different.

Brooklyn Red Leg
Novice

#6 Postby Brooklyn Red Leg » Sat May 30, 2015 7:46 am

KujakuDM wrote:He is still out and about in the Wasted West, so the early 1900's isn't any different.

But which version? The young Stone, maybe but certainly not the one The Reckoners used to cheat and sent back to The Weird West. I would think the one from the future would have simply gotten back on The Path of Stone to come forward to The Wasted West....

Jounichi
Legendary

#7 Postby Jounichi » Sat May 30, 2015 8:10 am

Brooklyn Red Leg wrote:
KujakuDM wrote:He is still out and about in the Wasted West, so the early 1900's isn't any different.

But which version? The young Stone, maybe but certainly not the one The Reckoners used to cheat and sent back to The Weird West. I would think the one from the future would have simply gotten back on The Path of Stone to come forward to The Wasted West....

That's the fun part: you get to pick. The funny thing about time travel is it creates multiple timelines. One Noir campaign could take place in the original, with a younger Stone. Another could take place with the Elder after having traveled back in time to change the past.

Or perhaps the years are off, and he's traveling back now: Terminator-style, but with Stone. Can you just picture saying "come with me if you want to live" to Stone the Younger?
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda
"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

zangari
Novice

#8 Postby zangari » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:29 pm

JoeDeschain wrote:im currently running a DLClassic game. but in my game i made stone pretty much a nuclear bomb. Whenever he gets to a town NOTHING survives (and he usually blows up towns like in the cover of Boomtown), he isnt quite sutil about him beeing around, always followed by a scent of dread and damnation.

That's typically not Stone's Modus Operandi so to speak. While he certainly does have to the ability to wipe out whole towns he normally doesn't. Such actions usually bring to much attention and tend to galvanize people into fighting back. Remember that the Horseman's plans are subtle and require a certain amount of secrecy. It's way more effective for Stone to slip into town, gun down the local heroes, and slip out again with no witnesses. The unknown alway generate more fear.

shadd4d
Legendary
Location: Valparaiso, IN...I miss Deutschland, Chicago, Charlottesville.

#9 Postby shadd4d » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:20 pm

True, but if that's what it takes to tip the balance to making the locale a Deadland, then Stone would probably do it, especially if he could get away afterwards with no survivors.
Don

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01

zangari
Novice

#10 Postby zangari » Sun May 08, 2016 6:55 pm

shadd4d wrote:True, but if that's what it takes to tip the balance to making the locale a Deadland, then Stone would probably do it, especially if he could get away afterwards with no survivors.

If I remember correctly, they mention in Devils Tower that Stone is a big proponent of Quality over Quantity when it comes to his killing.

Also remember that Stone is the primary agent of the Horseman. He's their ace in the hole for when the forces of good starting racking up wins against the forces of evil. They're not going to waste his talents on wiping out a bunch of nobodies.

Return to “Deadlands Noir”