Voodoo Zombie Race?

All discussions about the new Noir setting for Deadlands and Savage Worlds. It's 1935 and the only thing that isn't in short supply is trouble.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Shenron
Seasoned

Voodoo Zombie Race?

#1 Postby Shenron » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:33 pm

I am looking to make an undead race like Solomon Grundy (without the superpower aspect) but the sentient voodoo zombie angle.

Thoughts?
"Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Marshalonwheels
Seasoned

Re: Voodoo Zombie Race?

#2 Postby Marshalonwheels » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:33 am

the zombie race in horror companion won't do? (in the Children of the Night section)

Shenron
Seasoned

#3 Postby Shenron » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:10 pm

Marshalonwheels wrote:the zombie race in horror companion won't do? (in the Children of the Night section)

That would work actually. I didn't even see that entry until you mentioned it. Would giving the a d6 in either vigor or strength be breaking them?
"Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Marshalonwheels
Seasoned

#4 Postby Marshalonwheels » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:41 am

Ultimately, that's up to you. is it for a player? then yes. The zombie is worth +10 points according to the Sci-Fi Companion. if you added a strength or Vigor die type it would be a +12. A player race is supposed to balance at +2.If they killed an NPC and you want that NPC back but you don't want them to be a harrowed. then no I don't think an increase in strength or vigor or both is going to unbalance things unless you're playing the game with one player.

John Goff
Seasoned

#5 Postby John Goff » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:41 pm

Voodoo zombies are basically mindless, so--at least according to the mythology--they're not great player characters. However, if a player had a really good concept for a "smart" zombie, I'd go with Harrowed with different trappings.

Instead of losing control to the manitou, the original magical geas takes over, causing them to work toward fulfilling whatever their creator initially intended. You might limit what Harrowed powers they can get to the purely physical ones, unless there's a good reason for the zombie gaining some of the more esoteric ones. I'd probably add the weaknesses to salt and facing the sea, just for flavor; they're only going to be factors when you want them to be. Maybe even swap them out for the requirement to eat meat to heal wounds.

Quick, easy, and no muss or fuss.
John Goff

Edgeworth
Seasoned

#6 Postby Edgeworth » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:12 am

Shenron wrote:Thoughts?

A bunch of voodoo zombies having a race sounds fun. Foot or car? :wink:

Snate56
Legendary

#7 Postby Snate56 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:59 am

Oh, foot, of course!

Be like watching snail races, ... or paint dry.

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

Shenron
Seasoned

#8 Postby Shenron » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:58 pm

How would you reflavor the Harrowed?

I really like the Salt idea...

John Goff
Seasoned

#9 Postby John Goff » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:27 pm

Pretty much as I described. (And the more I think about it, the cooler an idea it sounds.)

Instead of manitou Dominion, I'd make it tied to whatever purpose for which they were created--usually as an unstoppable murder machine dedicated to eradicating some other group or cult. When they lose Dominion temporarily, they divert back to their original mission. As with a Harrowed, they have no memory of what they do while their under the original compulsion.

Instead of a head shot killing them, I'd make it salt in the mouth or seeing the ocean. In New Orleans, voodoo is common enough that most foes with any experience in the occult are going to know the weaknesses, so they're not too invulnerable. If you're feeling particularly unkind, you could rule a rock salt-loaded shotgun blast to the head that causes an Incapacitating wound gets enough salt in the mouth to put the nail in the coffin (a second time).

I'd probably dump the eating meat to heal, as it's not a big enough drawback to upset game balance if it's not there. Counting coup is up to you. You can take it or leave it; honestly, it's not as big a factor in Noir as other settings.

Other than that, I'd probably use the Harrowed as written. Whether you allow them access to Harrowed Edges or not is up to you. Some seem like great choices: Implacable, Stitchin', Supernatural Trait (Strength and Vigor, anyway), and Soul Eater; others don't "feel" like zombie abilities to me: Ghost, Claws, Hellfire--basically the flashier ones.

And, probably more so than with a Harrowed, the character's past might come back to haunt her. Who made her? Why did they make her? Was she a random corpse selected for reanimation or did the bokkor kill her as part of the process? And, most importantly, how does her creator feel about her going off leash? (Pro-tip: He's probably not thrilled. 8) )
John Goff

marshal kt
Legendary

#10 Postby marshal kt » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:58 pm

This is right in line with something I'm thinking about.
In my current modern horror game; a cross between Monster Hunters Inc. and Apocalypse Prevention Inc.; 1 of the players is on the verge of dying. This character is a new race from API. They possess the body of their relatives and can live forever.
The player tried to possess several of the other PC's and NPCs on a temporary basis. He failed all of his rolls and couldn't I was trying to figure how to handle who would be in charge.
Spirit vs spirit as each vie for control.
"I had a Me-llennial call me senile because he didn't like my ruling as GM."

Return to “Deadlands Noir”