My issues with point values.

Discuss skirmish games and the Troop Builder here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Doc Firefly
Seasoned

My issues with point values.

#1 Postby Doc Firefly » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:33 pm

I do a lot with showdown. I have a Zombie survival Game, a sort-of Pulpy-WWII skirmish game (I run the Chetniks). A Near Future Necromunda type skirmish, a 15mm Weird War II game (actually run by my friend Jim), a few post apoc games, and some fantasy skirmish. But I ahve two issues:

1) the price of Smarts and Agility being discounted in the game (being half Strength, Vigor and Spirit.) Smarts and Agility aren't directly related to combat, but I use them for everything else. For example any skill roll that might come up (like Noticing, Sneaking or Lock picking) that comes up I Default to these skills. When the characters try something physical (
like jumping a fence) it is an agility roll. Since SW is a Pulpy game, these things come up and NEED something to base it off of. To this end, I make all attributes the Same cost.

2) Rate of fire. Using the point system a .30-06 hunting rifle without a scope is more costly than an M16. Just because it can do more damage. But here is my thing. With an AR's ROF of 3 you can take up to 3 chances a turn to kill someone where the Remington only has 1 chance. Probability is the basis of this (and every other) wargame, so the ROF should be a multiplier in the point value, not simply an addition.

Am I crazy or does this make sense?
All men dream, but not equally
-T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Ranger Dave
Novice

#2 Postby Ranger Dave » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:43 pm

Makes sense. I'm interested in your near future skirmish. Would you mind sharing?

Here's my Zombie game - http://rangerdavegames.blogspot.com.
Ranger Dave Ross

Doc Firefly
Seasoned

#3 Postby Doc Firefly » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:08 pm

Essentially what I did was create archatypes for experience level, race, team function, weapons and gear. You have 1000 points to make your team with. This lets me use whatever minis I can find and play games. I have a halfling sniper team, cyber-robots, heros (a team with my favorite minis stated out to 200 points each) mercs, scavengers, a monster hunting motorcycle gang (my Victorias from Malifaux) a group of high tech vampires (Bakunin from Infinity) and so on. My little armies can fit into a small tin and they transport easy. There is no real story, I just take a group on minis I like, come up with a theme and run stat it out.

Ranger Dave
Novice

#4 Postby Ranger Dave » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:01 pm

Do you just use the spreadsheet for points?
Ranger Dave Ross

ogbendog
Legendary

#5 Postby ogbendog » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Annoyingly, the rules don't include the costs, they refer to the spreadsheet, which you can use to reverse engineer the costs

ROF adds +10 for ROF 2, +20 for ROF 3, etc.
Your typical rifle costs areound 18, an M16 costs 38

for skills, attack skills costs die size/2, -1 times 3. sl:
d4 = 3
d6 = 6
d8 = 9
etc.

Unlisted Skills
Misc. d4 Skill 2
Misc. d6 Skill 3
Misc. d8 Skill 4
Misc. d10 Skill 5
Misc. d12 Skill 6
Misc. d12+1 Skill 6.5
Misc. d12+2 Skill 7

If notice, or Sneaking, or Lockpicking comes up, it's d4-2 unless they paid for it. You've made it a Setting Rule that those skills default to attribute; in which case you should make the attributes more expensive.

dglass
Novice

#6 Postby dglass » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:07 pm

Doc Firefly wrote:Essentially what I did was create archatypes for experience level, race, team function, weapons and gear. You have 1000 points to make your team with. This lets me use whatever minis I can find and play games. I have a halfling sniper team, cyber-robots, heros (a team with my favorite minis stated out to 200 points each) mercs, scavengers, a monster hunting motorcycle gang (my Victorias from Malifaux) a group of high tech vampires (Bakunin from Infinity) and so on. My little armies can fit into a small tin and they transport easy. There is no real story, I just take a group on minis I like, come up with a theme and run stat it out.

I am very interested in doing something like this. How did you deal with the way scifi armor is so much stronger? I haven't played yet but it seems to me that a fantasy character would have only a tiny chance to damage a battlesuit.

Doc Firefly
Seasoned

#7 Postby Doc Firefly » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:15 pm

dglass wrote:
Doc Firefly wrote:Essentially what I did was create archatypes for experience level, race, team function, weapons and gear. You have 1000 points to make your team with. This lets me use whatever minis I can find and play games. I have a halfling sniper team, cyber-robots, heros (a team with my favorite minis stated out to 200 points each) mercs, scavengers, a monster hunting motorcycle gang (my Victorias from Malifaux) a group of high tech vampires (Bakunin from Infinity) and so on. My little armies can fit into a small tin and they transport easy. There is no real story, I just take a group on minis I like, come up with a theme and run stat it out.

I am very interested in doing something like this. How did you deal with the way scifi armor is so much stronger? I haven't played yet but it seems to me that a fantasy character would have only a tiny chance to damage a battlesuit.

We generally stick within the "near-modern/slightly sci-fi genera" Most everyone field humans, but with various mini lines out there you can also have fantasy races who are also armed. For example my "travel Team" (a collection of my favorite minis) has a pair Wargames foundry figs with modern clothes, guns and swords. I painted them with slightly "off" colors and stated them out as an Ork Beatstick and and an Elfish hit woman. That ways if someone wanted to get a bunch of Eldar, or Ratling snipers, they could throw down with us.

marshal kt
Legendary

#8 Postby marshal kt » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:59 pm

I'm working on creating/converting a couple of my favorite sci-fi minis games. A hard points cost would be nice. Having to extrapolate the bare numbers for a free gmae is very discourging.
Generic 'man', how many points. [d6 in all stats]
How much to give him an attack with: knife/sword/club? gun/pistol/smg?
"I had a Me-llennial call me senile because he didn't like my ruling as GM."

marshal kt
Legendary

#9 Postby marshal kt » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:06 pm

also, while trying to make typical space infantry, I put the numbers in to have all of his skills at d6. how/when cost and raw cost?
"I had a Me-llennial call me senile because he didn't like my ruling as GM."

Return to “SW Showdown”