Should laser weapons have an AP value?

Discuss skirmish games and the Troop Builder here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

WildDude
Novice

Should laser weapons have an AP value?

#1 Postby WildDude » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Stating up some Cadian shock troops for a generic sci-fi skirmish. These guys have laser weapons and when I checked the Showdown rules was surprised that lasers had no AP rating. I'm thinking AP 4 for a laser rifle and AP 2 for a pistol.

Thoughts please.

Cheers.

WildDude

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:38 am

Lasers rarely have AP in savage settings. Of course, they aren't bullets so they overcome the most second-most potent armor defense in the system (Kevlar).
The laser weapons are in line with 40k lasguns, or laser weapons in the Fallout franchise - dangerous, but low penetration.

If you want laser weapons to carve through armor like <insert cliche here> then you can do that. But that's inappropriate to most settings, and probably very unrealistic (once we finally miniaturize a weapon-grade laser).
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

farik
Seasoned

#3 Postby farik » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:13 pm

for my sci fi settings I usually use these quick and dirty guidelines to convert ballistic weapons

Flechettes- double ammo capacity

Rocket rounds- Half ammo Capacity increase range by 50% and add an additional damage die

Lasers- reduce range by 50% increase AP by 2 and reduce damage dice size by one

Particle Beam weapons - reduce range by 50% reduce AP by 2 and increase damage dice size by one

It may not be realistic but it helps prevent 1 type of weapon from being generally considered vastly superior while still providing variety to the equipment of different races without having to incorporate a lot of different mechanics.

WildDude
Novice

#4 Postby WildDude » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks for your thoughts folks. I should have mentioned that I've never played 40K (and never will) so wasn't trying to come up with something that fits that setting. What made me inclined to add AP to lasers was so that the troops using them have a better chance against the futuristic armors in Showdown like Hard Armor +8 and the Powered Armor (Battle Suit) +12
Last edited by WildDude on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#5 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:16 pm

WildDude wrote:What made me inclined to add AP to lasers was so that the troops using them have a better chance against the futuristic armors in Showdown like hard armor (8) and the battle suit (12).

The infantry battle suit should only be +6. Or are you talking about the one-man-tank known as Battle Suit, Power Armor? Because that is +12, and is designed to make a character nearly invulnerable (much like the novel version of Starship Troopers).

What lets lasers take down those kinds of threats is volume of fire. With RoF 3+ for everything except the pistol, that's as many as 4d6 per shot for 3 shots per shooter. A few of those should roll well enough to inflict casualties.

VonDan
Legendary

#6 Postby VonDan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:21 pm

do like in the old V tv series and people would run out in front with giant house mirrors and reflect away the alien lazer bolts

WildDude
Novice

#7 Postby WildDude » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:29 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:Lasers rarely have AP in savage settings. Of course, they aren't bullets so they overcome the most second-most potent armor defense in the system (Kevlar).
The laser weapons are in line with 40k lasguns, or laser weapons in the Fallout franchise - dangerous, but low penetration.

If you want laser weapons to carve through armor like <insert cliche here> then you can do that. But that's inappropriate to most settings, and probably very unrealistic (once we finally miniaturize a weapon-grade laser).

You've convinced me that lasers don't need the AP. Thanks.

I noticed that they an auto weapon too and as there's no recoil from firing a beam of light the user won't suffer the -2 penalty.

One final question why do you say Kevlar is the second most potent armor in the system?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#8 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Kevlar: It allows a normal dude to survive being shot by Ma-Deuce, which is just ridiculous.
It doubles the protection of the armor, ignores 4 AP from bullets, and is an amazingly powerful armor quality when fighting foes with guns.

Heavy Armor is the best armor quality; it actually makes you immune to many attacks. Kevlar is pretty good, but not quite as spectacular; it doesn't grant any immunity, but it does provide a huge situational bonus to not being harmed by bullets.

Return to “SW Showdown”