OFFICIAL Showdown Character Creation Rules?

Discuss skirmish games and the Troop Builder here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

bigbywolfe
Novice

OFFICIAL Showdown Character Creation Rules?

#1 Postby bigbywolfe » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:38 pm

I make most of my characters by hand and the "official" spreadsheet is pretty much worthless to me (it doesn't help that it contradicts itself with listed costs for things being different that what they actually cost on the character section). I have found several fan-made cheat sheets that had the formulas spelled out, but with most of them I have had trouble getting the totals to match what the spreadsheet says they should be.
Is there ever going to be official troop creation rules created so we don't have to rely on a (pre-filled out) spreadsheet?
Seriously, it feels like they released Showdown as a free game without char-gen rules so it would be worthless unless you buy modules with premade characters.

Assuming they will never release the actual rules for building characters, can someone point me to a cheat sheet that is verified to have the actual formula used?

Thanks

Gordon
Seasoned

#2 Postby Gordon » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:55 pm

Yep. I could easily integrate this into my Web Tools :)

TheLoremaster
Legendary

#3 Postby TheLoremaster » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:00 pm

That would be a wonderful thing. :D
"Your GM is metagaming ... and wrong!"

Ranger Dave
Novice

#4 Postby Ranger Dave » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:57 am

ditto. thanks.
Ranger Dave Ross

SteampengMk1
Novice

#5 Postby SteampengMk1 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:27 am

I think apart of the problem is that SH expects to "guesstimate" and round out things,(it even said in the book there is a difference between RAW cost and "actual" cost) which with a point system, doesn't work too well. I can say a tank is 70 point, friend say it 80, and another friend 140 points.

I know there a worry over Mini-maxing, but with a point-build this is the nature of the beast and making things very hard to figure out to get a "vague" number is not going to help that out, Mini-maxers well mini-max anything. The only way to stop Mini-maxing is with players and the GM, not making contradicting creation rules and spreadsheet.

WildDude
Novice

#6 Postby WildDude » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:17 pm

I've started building a Showdown Troop builder for the Web and mobile devices. Version 0.1 should be live on the Web soon.

Last edited by WildDude on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kristian Serrano
Heroic

#7 Postby Kristian Serrano » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:18 pm

Very nice! Will it be mobile-friendly or (dare I ask) mobile first even?

WildDude
Novice

#8 Postby WildDude » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi Kristian

It should be mobile friendly as it's using http://getbootstrap.com/ which is a 'mobile first'. I've optimised the layout for 10" Nexus and Apple iPad so that you get two columns. On smaller devices it will be one column I guess but I haven't checked yet.

I'm a back end software developer rather than a UI or 'Web designer' so it may be a little rough around the edges :-)

Nick

Kristian Serrano
Heroic

#9 Postby Kristian Serrano » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:32 am

WildDude wrote:Hi Kristian

It should be mobile friendly as it's using http://getbootstrap.com/ which is a 'mobile first'. I've optimised the layout for 10" Nexus and Apple iPad so that you get two columns. On smaller devices it will be one column I guess but I haven't checked yet.

I'm a back end software developer rather than a UI or 'Web designer' so it may be a little rough around the edges :-)

Nick

Aisde from the required bloated markup (i.e. - layers upon layers of nested divs with classes), Bootstrap 3 is pretty straightforward and easy to work with. It's not too difficult to to overrides on the styles (colors, border-radius, etc.) to make it look less like Bootstrap, too.

WildDude
Novice

#10 Postby WildDude » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:12 pm

Here is v0.1 of my Showdown Troop Builder

http://retroredge.github.io/showdown-troop-builder/

Return to “SW Showdown”