Rick J'onzz wrote:Hey all, I was wondering how to write up a Werewolf (White Wolf-y style) as a Rifts race (or possibly even framework). This is what I want, if someone could show me how to get there from here. I was looking at the Dragon Hatchling as inspiration, but wasn't sure how far to go so it'd be balanced.
* The character would have 2 forms. A normal human form and a 9' tall snarling rage-monster. The normal form can't have any form of Cyber-stuff, and probably better keep a ready supply of spare pants around.
* The transformation would be like the Hulk. In a stressful situation, roll Spirit to contain the change. Probably more difficult to remain in control on the night of the full moon. Similarly, when things settle down, make a Spirit roll to change back. There's enough of the original personality in the background so the werewolf doesn't attack allies or bystanders. There should probably also be a note that if someone, for instance, hits them with a sniper round (that's not silver) that would kill them, they get a chance to transform fast enough for their regeneration to keep them alive.
* As a werewolf, Strength, Agility and Vigor bump up to superhuman levels. Smarts becomes Smarts (A). Probably a +2 bonus to Notice for smell and hearing-based Notice rolls.
* Increased Toughness/Armor because they can't shapeshift wearing regular armor. Presumably Mega-Armor.
* Natural Weapons that do MD (because they can't use weapons in were-form.
* A ridiculously good regeneration ability.
* Silver Weapons pierce the armor and regeneration.
* Putting a limitation on no Arcane Backgrounds makes sense for balance purposes.
Okay, your werewolf is less White Wolf-y than a classic werewolf (no AB, and no Cyberware, which in theory WtA werewolves could do just fine). This makes life easier, actually, so let's run with it.
We'll start easy--the Berserk Hindrance already uses the stress-trigger, we'll just add a lunar cycle modifier to the roll, and make the transformation contingent on the Berserk being triggered.
Now we go to the SPC. All of the powers will have Contingent (Berserk). Using the AB [Superpowers] as a base means we add 2 to the final cost of the 'race'.Growth
--Let's go with Size +2 (about the mass of a silverback gorilla), which will get him a straight +2 toToughness and 2 die bumps to Strength. (Level 2, Contingent -2, Limitation [does not affect gear] -2, 2 points)Attack, Melee
. This is for the claws. Lethal, Contingent, Mega-Damage, +2d6 (2 points)Regeneration
Level 5 (Natural healing roll every round). Contingent -2, Limitation (Silver/magic wounds do not heal faster) -1, 9 points (OUCH)Wolf Senses
: Scent & Hearing +2 Notice, +2 Tracking, Contingent -2, total comes to 1 point
We're at 16 points already, and have no armor, agility or vigor boosts, just ridiculously high regenerative powers. This tells me we're well outside "Race" territory and into "Iconic Framework Race" zone.
Which means I'm going to bow out at this stage, because that's still well above my ability to do. BUt I figured the baseline of what I came up with might help whoever goes forward with the project.