[Savage Rifts] The Great D-Bee Race Conversion Thread

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

Re: [Savage Rifts] The Great D-Bee Race Conversion Thread

#141 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:07 am

Isawarenshi wrote:
SavageGamerGirl wrote:So did his character get hit really hard and "sent into another dimension", Rifts Earth? :lol:

Hey knowing DBZ that's not so crazy a reasoning. Lol

I don't now much at all about DBZ, but I do know that the translated euphemism for being killed was to be "sent into another dimension." :lol:
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'
The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

Freemage
Veteran

#142 Postby Freemage » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:09 am

Brickulos wrote:
Freemage wrote:
ValhallaGH wrote:+10PPE is probably a +4 racial ability (basically two free Power Points edges).
The racial abilities are +5 PP for a specific arcane background (Magic, Miracles, Super Powers, or Weird Science), not for all arcane backgrounds.

The drawbacks make them basically unplayable as anything except "Old, squishy wizard".

Ah, you are right about the PPE--so yes, it would need to go down to +5

As for the other, I do think it would work as an offbeat Power Armor Jock concept--most of the Hindrances are cancelled out by the Power Armor itself (Environmental Protection and default Strength). So at that point, you're a bit less tough than most of that ilk, but with the versatility that comes from being able to be a caster when "out of the can".

Based on the D'Norr, I thought you just had to choose between PPE and ISP.

That was how I was originally thinking it was, but VallhallaGH is right about how the table itself is phrased--you get PPE, but you also have to pick a single AB (or you can pay the full cost of the Extra Power Points Edge).

steelbrok
Veteran

#143 Postby steelbrok » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:08 am

Must thank Brickulos for his Pixie write up that helped me in putting this together

I offer the elemental fairies of Rifts Britannia

Cyber Resistant (-1): Cannot take cybernetics
Distinctive D-Bee (-2): Cannot hide their nature
Little muscles (-3): Just can’t get a grip! -2 to all Strength rolls.
Naturally Magical (+2): Start with AB (Magic) with the Boost/Lower Trait, Elemental Manipulation (limited to their affiliated element but cast at +1) and Invisibility powers. If an Iconic Framework with AB (Magic) is taken then take the above as starting powers plus one extra and gain 5 extra PPE.
Proper size (+6): to fairies, their size is right. They are about 20cm/8inches tall, their toughness is reduced by 2, attacking and attempting to Notice them are at -2.
Short legs (-1): Pace 4 and running die d4
Small Folk (-1): Equipment and armour must be custom made and costs double. Operating vehicles and equipment not (very!) specially adapted is done at -2.
Taste for Liquor (-1?): If allowed to drink alcohol (and if it’s available they’re drawn to it!) fairies get drunk very quickly. For 2d6 minutes they have +2 to Strength rolls and +2 Toughness but -2 to Smarts rolls. They are also quarrelsome and likely to pick a fight with strangers. For the next 2d6 hours they are hungover and suffer a level of fatigue. Once they’ve had such a binge they are likely to avoid alcohol for about a week. Whilst suffering this post booze fatigue fairy companions do not provide their elemental benefits.
Wings (+2): Fairies can fly at Pace 6.
Little Ways (-1): Like all fairies the elementals have their own outlook:
Air Fairies love to flap their lips, they have the Big Mouth hindrance
Earth Fairies are stolid types and set in their ways, they have the Stubborn hindrance.
Fire Fairies constantly play with flames without regard for being seen or even sometimes thoughtlessly setting things ablaze.
Water can spend many years patiently wearing things away. Water Fairies have the Cautious hindrance.
Elemental Affiliation (+2)
Air Fairies are fast flyers with flying Pace 8 and a “running” die of d10.
Earth Fairies lose the ability to fly but regain 2 points of Toughness
Fire Fairies have the Bolt power with a fire trapping.
Water Fairies are Aquatic, cannot drown, start with a free d6 in Swimming. Pace in water is equal to their Swimming die.

Weird Edge
Tame Big Person
Requirements: Fairy, Spirit d8+, Persuasion d6+
You have made a friend of a member of one of the big races. You start play with a loyal extra, usually a wilderness scout, vagabond or scholar. You grant them the benefits of the Fairy Companion edge.

And said fairy companion edge for the Big folk is:

Fairy Companion (Weird edge)
Requirements: Spirit d8+, must have spent some time in the British Isles, may not have negative Charisma.
The character has made a friend of a fairy extra who is now his or her constant companion. They can be sent off on independent errands (an eight inch high spy can be very useful) but if kept close (within a character’s command radius) then they give the character a benefit depending on their type.
Air: the fairy helps blow the character along, they gain the Fleet Footed edge
Earth: imbued with the spirit of the earth the character has the Brawny edge.
Fire: you can detect heat, gaining the Infravsion ability. You also gain a +4 bonus versus the effect of hot environments. This gives you +4 Armour versus heat based attacks too.
Water: come swimming with me! The character gains the Aquatic ability.
The character and fairy are loyal to one another.
Last edited by steelbrok on Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Freemage
Veteran

#144 Postby Freemage » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:31 am

On the Fairy Companions:
I'd suggest that Water be simply gaining the Aquatic ability.
Fire seems a bit more potent than the others, in part because it's a Power you don't need to roll for. Maybe tie it to Persuasion, modified by Charisma, to manipulate the flames?

Xanty
Novice

#145 Postby Xanty » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:00 pm

Freemage wrote:On the Fairy Companions:

Fire seems a bit more potent than the others, in part because it's a Power you don't need to roll for. Maybe tie it to Persuasion, modified by Charisma, to manipulate the flames?

I'd assume it to just be an additional power for their AB: Magic
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Deskepticon
Veteran

#146 Postby Deskepticon » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:21 pm

Xanty wrote:

I'd assume it to just be an additional power for their AB: Magic

It's the "big folk" companion that gets the ability; the fairy already knows it.

On that note...
All the other abilities bestowed are passive, only fire seems to be an active ability. Maybe give the companion a tolerance for heat/fire instead? Something like "ignore a number of points of fire damage equal to half Spirit die."

Agree with the Water ability, too. Just bestow Aquatic, or even Semi-aquatic. Opens the way for an Edge tree.

steelbrok
Veteran

#147 Postby steelbrok » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:05 pm

I'd suggest that Water be simply gaining the Aquatic ability.

Good points. Let me think on them.

steelbrok
Veteran

#148 Postby steelbrok » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:19 pm

OK,

edited the companion edge for water fairies to grant Aquatic as suggested.
For fire wondered about giving infravision AND environmental resistance to heat/fire both being +1 abilities

Deskepticon
Veteran

#149 Postby Deskepticon » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:51 pm

steelbrok wrote:OK,

edited the companion edge for water fairies to grant Aquatic as suggested.
For fire wondered about giving infravision AND environmental resistance to heat/fire both being +1 abilities

That could work.

I also just noticed that the Fairy ability list totals at +3.
Maybe give each type a minor personality hindrance related to their affinity? Something like: air fairies are whimsical (change their mind often), fire fairies are short tempered (incised by taunts and insults), earth fairies are Stubborn, water fairies are prying/nosey (they like to just "seep" into other peoples' business).

steelbrok
Veteran

#150 Postby steelbrok » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:09 am

Deskepticon wrote:
I also just noticed that the Fairy ability list totals at +3.
Maybe give each type a minor personality hindrance related to their affinity? Something like: air fairies are whimsical (change their mind often), fire fairies are short tempered (incised by taunts and insults), earth fairies are Stubborn, water fairies are prying/nosey (they like to just "seep" into other peoples' business).

You're right, must have miscounted.
edited original post

Freemage
Veteran

#151 Postby Freemage » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:02 am

This one just sorta burbled up in my brain. I think they came out interesting, though I know Bad Luck is going to be a deal-breaker for many.

Presci
Also known as "Peekers", this human-seeming race of D-Bees has an innate precognitive talent. Though the baseline ability only peers a heartbeat or so into the future, this gives them an astounding advantage in many scenarios, particularly combat.

Advantages:
Foresight: Seeing even a short distance into the future has its advantages. All Presci have the following Edges: Danger Sense, Level-Headed, Quick and Dodge. They also gain +2 Parry. (+10)
Cheaters: Presci gain a +2 bonus to all Gambling rolls. (+2)

Drawbacks:
Cyber-Resistant: Cybernetic systems can't sync up with Presci nervous system's signals, rendering them useless. (-1)
Fated: Presci have the Bad Luck Hindrance, leaving them with only two Bennies at the start of a session. (-2)
Overconfident: The Presci tend to assume that their foresight will get them through dangers that others would balk at. (-2)
Long gaze: Presci often look elsewhere when talking to people, reacting to things a moment before they actually happen. Treat this as the Quirk Hindrance. (-1)
Rite Stuff: Prescis are almost off the Coalition States' radar, since they pass easily as humans. However, the Federation of Magic has learned that Presci sacrifices can grant phenomenal divinations, and thus have begun hunting them actively; captured Presci who do not have magical talent are short-lived. This is considered a Major Wanted Hindrance (-2)
Audio Overlap: While Presci vision functions normally, they often hear things out of sync with what they see, or get overlaid sound. This effectively gives them the Minor Hard of Hearing Hindrance--however, this does not provide them with resistance to Boom Guns, and in fact, requires them to make two Vigor rolls to resist the effects of one. Spells with similar Sonic trappings may get an additional effect against the Presci, at the GM's discretion. (-1)
Tasty: While Psi-Stalkers cannot detect them automatically, they've found that they may feed on Prescis as if they have an Arcane Background (use the rules on page 123 for this, but raise the limit to the Prescis Spirit die). As a result, this has led to several predictably unpleasant incidents; the two races are now bitter enemies, with a -4 to Charisma when dealing with one another. (-1)
Last edited by Freemage on Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#152 Postby ValhallaGH » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:53 am

The Presci are pretty cool.

My only input is the Audio Overlap. As written it gives them a bonus to resist Boom Guns, when the descriptive text would make me think they'd have a penalty.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Freemage
Veteran

#153 Postby Freemage » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:23 am

ValhallaGH wrote:The Presci are pretty cool.

My only input is the Audio Overlap. As written it gives them a bonus to resist Boom Guns, when the descriptive text would make me think they'd have a penalty.

Oooh. Something I had completely ignored, and yes, that's an excellent point--going to edit it now.

JurneeJakes
Novice

#154 Postby JurneeJakes » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:30 pm

Not so much a converted race as OCC, but I'm curious if anyone has any input on the CosmoKnight from Phase World? I've come across a few people that haven't been in the RIFTS system in a long time or at all, and seem stuck on the concept. I know they're powerful, essentially an upgraded CyberKnight, but I'm wondering if anyone had anything more specific.

Alrik_vas
Seasoned

#155 Postby Alrik_vas » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:14 pm

A Cosmoknight would be classed like a Dragon. Their own IF that isn't racially modded, because they are the race and class together.

And their almost color superheroes, really, but they have a limitation of having power points and their abilities are pretty much set in stone. A Kreegor Invincible Guardsman, on the other hand, is literally just a superhero working for the bad guys of the setting, and race actually matters with them as well.

Damian Magecraft
Seasoned

#156 Postby Damian Magecraft » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:03 pm

JurneeJakes wrote:Not so much a converted race as OCC, but I'm curious if anyone has any input on the CosmoKnight from Phase World? I've come across a few people that haven't been in the RIFTS system in a long time or at all, and seem stuck on the concept. I know they're powerful, essentially an upgraded CyberKnight, but I'm wondering if anyone had anything more specific.
CosmoKnight = Silver Surfer the class is meant more for the starfaring campaigns of PW than the traditionally earthbound ones of Rifts.
As a GM I live by one hard and fast rule:
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"

Freemage
Veteran

#157 Postby Freemage » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:26 pm

So, it occurred to me that works in the public domain don't need to be linked offsite. The Eloi are about as worthless as they were in the original novel (though a face Eloi would be pretty effective, especially with a sub-role as the party's early warning system); the Morlocks can have a few functions, if built right:

MORLOCKS
These bestial and savage human-derivatives came out of a Rift and began terrorizing nearby communities almost immediately. Some have been tamed, to an extent, by Lord Dunscon, but most of the rest are feral. A few have begun to wonder if there is something more than hunting, eating and manufacture, though, and these rare specimens are the ones that make up PC Morlocks.
Advantages
Reflective Eyes: Much like a cat's, these give the Morlock Low-Light Vision; they suffer half the lighting penalties in Dim/Dark lighting. (+1)
Hunters: Morlocks have sharp senses, having the Alertness Edge. (+2)
Ambushers: Morlocks rely on speed and stealth to take their victims. They have d6+2 Stealth and the Quick Edge. (+5)
Maintenance: Despite their unimpressive intellects, Morlocks have an innate ability when it comes to fixing machinery. They have a d6+2 in Repair. (+3)
Disadvantages
Feral Humans: While a Morlock can be dressed up and given opaque glasses, they are still obviously D-Bees on close examination, and recognized as such by the CS. (-1)
Bestial Mind: Morlocks suffer a -2 penalty to Smarts rolls, and cannot learn to read--at best, they can understand a small vocabulary of pictograms. In addition, they cannot use PPE, or take any Iconic Framework based on Magic or Miracles. (-5)
Small: Having developed underground, the Morlocks as a whole are smaller than humans, and have a -1 Toughness. (-1)
Bad Table Manners: Even Morlocks who have broken from their clan see nothing wrong with eating other sophants, and thus their reputation for cannibalism. This Minor Habit gives them a -2 to Charisma with virtually everyone else. (-1)
Squinty: In well-lit areas, the Morlocks suffer from the Bad Vision Hindrance, taking a -2 to any vision-based roll. Even if they gain cybernetic eyes, Morlocks still squint instinctively in brightly lit conditions.(-1)

ELOI
Frail and sylphlike, the Eloi are charming but difficult to motivate to action, other than fleeing. They have an instinctive fear of the dark that comes from the predation of the Morlocks.
Advantages
Sympathetic: Eloi have a gentle demeanor and pleasant presence that makes them easy to deal with. They gain a +2 to Charisma that stacks with appropriate Edges. (+2)
Uncannily Compelling: The urgings of the Eloi are difficult to resist. They have a d6+2 Persuasion. (+3)
Indifferent: Eloi gain the benefits of the Iron Willed Edge, but only for purposes of resisting Intimidation and Taunt attempts. The rare Eloi who takes the actual Edge just overrides this ability; they do not stack.(+1 for 'half an Edge')
Alert: Life as a prey species has left the Eloi wary of danger. They have the Notice Skill at d6+2, the Alertness and Danger Sense Edges. (+7)
Disadvantages
Prey: The Eloi have a fear of the dark, coming from generations of being preyed upon on moonless nights. The Lighting Penalty of their current environment is the value of the Phobia Penalty (so it goes up to -4), even if the Eloi is unaffected due to magic or cybernetics. (-2, as Major Phobia)
Feckless & Disinterested: Eloi suffer a -1 to all Spirit rolls, and a -2 to Common Knowledge rolls, as per the Clueless Hindrance. (-4)
Small & Frail: Eloi are not physically adept, and have a -2 Toughness. (-2)
Distinctive D-Bee: Though of human stock, the Eloi are more likely to be mistaken for elves by the residents of Rifts Earth. This still does not endear them to the average citizen of the CS. Properly disguised, though, they can pass as a young human if not closely inspected.(-1)
Timid: The Eloi have the Cautious Hindrance. (-1)

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#158 Postby Sitting Duck » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:52 am

A profile for the Kittani, one of the more technologically oriented client races of the Splugorth Empire.

http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com/611840.html
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Rick J'onzz
Novice

#159 Postby Rick J'onzz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:40 pm

Hey all, I was wondering how to write up a Werewolf (White Wolf-y style) as a Rifts race (or possibly even framework). This is what I want, if someone could show me how to get there from here. I was looking at the Dragon Hatchling as inspiration, but wasn't sure how far to go so it'd be balanced.

* The character would have 2 forms. A normal human form and a 9' tall snarling rage-monster. The normal form can't have any form of Cyber-stuff, and probably better keep a ready supply of spare pants around.
* The transformation would be like the Hulk. In a stressful situation, roll Spirit to contain the change. Probably more difficult to remain in control on the night of the full moon. Similarly, when things settle down, make a Spirit roll to change back. There's enough of the original personality in the background so the werewolf doesn't attack allies or bystanders. There should probably also be a note that if someone, for instance, hits them with a sniper round (that's not silver) that would kill them, they get a chance to transform fast enough for their regeneration to keep them alive.
* As a werewolf, Strength, Agility and Vigor bump up to superhuman levels. Smarts becomes Smarts (A). Probably a +2 bonus to Notice for smell and hearing-based Notice rolls.
* Increased Toughness/Armor because they can't shapeshift wearing regular armor. Presumably Mega-Armor.
* Natural Weapons that do MD (because they can't use weapons in were-form.
* A ridiculously good regeneration ability.
* Silver Weapons pierce the armor and regeneration.
* Putting a limitation on no Arcane Backgrounds makes sense for balance purposes.

Help?

Freemage
Veteran

#160 Postby Freemage » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:08 pm

Rick J'onzz wrote:Hey all, I was wondering how to write up a Werewolf (White Wolf-y style) as a Rifts race (or possibly even framework). This is what I want, if someone could show me how to get there from here. I was looking at the Dragon Hatchling as inspiration, but wasn't sure how far to go so it'd be balanced.

* The character would have 2 forms. A normal human form and a 9' tall snarling rage-monster. The normal form can't have any form of Cyber-stuff, and probably better keep a ready supply of spare pants around.
* The transformation would be like the Hulk. In a stressful situation, roll Spirit to contain the change. Probably more difficult to remain in control on the night of the full moon. Similarly, when things settle down, make a Spirit roll to change back. There's enough of the original personality in the background so the werewolf doesn't attack allies or bystanders. There should probably also be a note that if someone, for instance, hits them with a sniper round (that's not silver) that would kill them, they get a chance to transform fast enough for their regeneration to keep them alive.
* As a werewolf, Strength, Agility and Vigor bump up to superhuman levels. Smarts becomes Smarts (A). Probably a +2 bonus to Notice for smell and hearing-based Notice rolls.
* Increased Toughness/Armor because they can't shapeshift wearing regular armor. Presumably Mega-Armor.
* Natural Weapons that do MD (because they can't use weapons in were-form.
* A ridiculously good regeneration ability.
* Silver Weapons pierce the armor and regeneration.
* Putting a limitation on no Arcane Backgrounds makes sense for balance purposes.

Help?

Okay, your werewolf is less White Wolf-y than a classic werewolf (no AB, and no Cyberware, which in theory WtA werewolves could do just fine). This makes life easier, actually, so let's run with it.

We'll start easy--the Berserk Hindrance already uses the stress-trigger, we'll just add a lunar cycle modifier to the roll, and make the transformation contingent on the Berserk being triggered.
Now we go to the SPC. All of the powers will have Contingent (Berserk). Using the AB [Superpowers] as a base means we add 2 to the final cost of the 'race'.
Growth--Let's go with Size +2 (about the mass of a silverback gorilla), which will get him a straight +2 toToughness and 2 die bumps to Strength. (Level 2, Contingent -2, Limitation [does not affect gear] -2, 2 points)
Attack, Melee. This is for the claws. Lethal, Contingent, Mega-Damage, +2d6 (2 points)
Regeneration Level 5 (Natural healing roll every round). Contingent -2, Limitation (Silver/magic wounds do not heal faster) -1, 9 points (OUCH)
Wolf Senses: Scent & Hearing +2 Notice, +2 Tracking, Contingent -2, total comes to 1 point

We're at 16 points already, and have no armor, agility or vigor boosts, just ridiculously high regenerative powers. This tells me we're well outside "Race" territory and into "Iconic Framework Race" zone.

Which means I'm going to bow out at this stage, because that's still well above my ability to do. BUt I figured the baseline of what I came up with might help whoever goes forward with the project.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”