[Savage Rifts] The Great D-Bee Race Conversion Thread

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Brickulos
Veteran

Re: [Savage Rifts] The Great D-Bee Race Conversion Thread

#161 Postby Brickulos » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:54 pm

On it :wink:

Brickulos
Veteran

#162 Postby Brickulos » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:23 am

Freemage wrote:
Rick J'onzz wrote:Hey all, I was wondering how to write up a Werewolf (White Wolf-y style) as a Rifts race (or possibly even framework). This is what I want, if someone could show me how to get there from here. I was looking at the Dragon Hatchling as inspiration, but wasn't sure how far to go so it'd be balanced.

* The character would have 2 forms. A normal human form and a 9' tall snarling rage-monster. The normal form can't have any form of Cyber-stuff, and probably better keep a ready supply of spare pants around.
* The transformation would be like the Hulk. In a stressful situation, roll Spirit to contain the change. Probably more difficult to remain in control on the night of the full moon. Similarly, when things settle down, make a Spirit roll to change back. There's enough of the original personality in the background so the werewolf doesn't attack allies or bystanders. There should probably also be a note that if someone, for instance, hits them with a sniper round (that's not silver) that would kill them, they get a chance to transform fast enough for their regeneration to keep them alive.
* As a werewolf, Strength, Agility and Vigor bump up to superhuman levels. Smarts becomes Smarts (A). Probably a +2 bonus to Notice for smell and hearing-based Notice rolls.
* Increased Toughness/Armor because they can't shapeshift wearing regular armor. Presumably Mega-Armor.
* Natural Weapons that do MD (because they can't use weapons in were-form.
* A ridiculously good regeneration ability.
* Silver Weapons pierce the armor and regeneration.
* Putting a limitation on no Arcane Backgrounds makes sense for balance purposes.

Help?

Okay, your werewolf is less White Wolf-y than a classic werewolf (no AB, and no Cyberware, which in theory WtA werewolves could do just fine). This makes life easier, actually, so let's run with it.

We'll start easy--the Berserk Hindrance already uses the stress-trigger, we'll just add a lunar cycle modifier to the roll, and make the transformation contingent on the Berserk being triggered.
Now we go to the SPC. All of the powers will have Contingent (Berserk). Using the AB [Superpowers] as a base means we add 2 to the final cost of the 'race'.
Growth--Let's go with Size +2 (about the mass of a silverback gorilla), which will get him a straight +2 toToughness and 2 die bumps to Strength. (Level 2, Contingent -2, Limitation [does not affect gear] -2, 2 points)
Attack, Melee. This is for the claws. Lethal, Contingent, Mega-Damage, +2d6 (2 points)
Regeneration Level 5 (Natural healing roll every round). Contingent -2, Limitation (Silver/magic wounds do not heal faster) -1, 9 points (OUCH)
Wolf Senses: Scent & Hearing +2 Notice, +2 Tracking, Contingent -2, total comes to 1 point

We're at 16 points already, and have no armor, agility or vigor boosts, just ridiculously high regenerative powers. This tells me we're well outside "Race" territory and into "Iconic Framework Race" zone.

Which means I'm going to bow out at this stage, because that's still well above my ability to do. BUt I figured the baseline of what I came up with might help whoever goes forward with the project.

I tried my hand at it viewtopic.php?f=81&t=51164

Freemage
Veteran

#163 Postby Freemage » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:41 am

Another homebrew, spawned by the need for an NPC with the race's powers. Thought others might find a use for them:

FRAKTURE
The Frakture seem, to almost all examination, to be fully normal humans; only in the case of a post-mortem biopsy can certain brain tissue anomalies be confirmed. As a result, this group of D-Bees are able to exist within the CS without anyone knowing they are there. The Frakture come from an alternate timeline where Earth has been infested with psionic aliens who use their powers to aid in hunting game. As a result, a minor mutation has resulted in a massive selection pressure causing 'true' humans to be almost completely wiped out, while the Frakture have taken their place.
Advantages
Blindspot: This is the defining feature of the Frakture. They are naturally resistant to almost all forms of paranatural detection. When targeted by or otherwise involved in the subject of a Divination or Mind-Reading power, they gain +4 to resist the power. In addition, they are considered Invisible when in an area scanned with Clairvoyance, and even their own aura is invisible to Detect Arcana--to use these powers, the caster must also succeed at a Notice roll at -4. This penalty is also applied when the Frakture might alert someone with Danger Sense. (Resistance Power at 1 point, Invisibility power at level 2, with Major Limitation [only affects supernatural powers and danger sense] and Always On: Total cost: +7)
Disarming: The Frakture also don't set off the usual 'warning bells' in other people's brains. This makes them quite easy to be around, granting them a +2 to all Charisma checks (+2)
Sidle Up: Frakture gain a +2 to Stealth Checks, as even subliminal hearing and peripheral vision overlook them. (+2)
Drawbacks
Altered Psychology: The same mutation that makes it so easy for them to hide from power-users has also produced an unpredictable instability in their thought processes. All Frakture start with some form of mental disturbance (the specific derangement should be rolled on the Crazy Mental Degradation Table). (-2)
Psi-Dead: Frakture cannot take AB Psionics, nor can they possess any ISP; any IF that would require such is barred to them. (-1)
Prey: The Frakture developed habits that are useful to those who have been hunted for tens of millennia. As such, they have both the Yellow and Cautious Hindrances (-4)
Aggressive Recruitment: Although they are largely unknown in the Coalition States, they eventually became well-known to Dunscon and the Federation of Magic--the power-users who managed to identify them referred to it as looking for an invisible ship by finding the wake. The Federation has taken a hard-line on this particular D-Bee race--those who will not join the Federation (with magical vows) are to be terminated immediately. (Wanted: Major or Vow [Serve the FoM]: Major; -2)

I THINK I calculated out the Blind Spot properly. It was arguably a bit of a squib to take the "Always On" cost-cut for the Invisibility Power (since it works in such a way that it doesn't really hinder the character too much), but I walked through the consequences of that to come up with the Wanted Hindrance. Dunscon recognizes the danger they present, and wants them all working for him or DEAD.

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#164 Postby Sitting Duck » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:55 am

A profile for the Tyrrvol Sword Fists.

http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com/612412.html
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Freemage
Veteran

#165 Postby Freemage » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:26 am

"GRIBBS" (aka FROG-MEN):

These are another example of an animal-human hybrid coming out of the CS science division. The Gribbs were never regarded as a success the way the Dog-Boys are, because they lacked the canine instinct for loyalty; as soon as some got the opportunity, they scarpered, and have proven difficult to round back up. More traditional approaches to ensuring loyalty--offering decent working conditions, etc--have proven more successful, but the Gribbs have been quick to realize their value, and so often take a strong stand when in negotiations.
Unlike the Dog-Boys, Gribbs were created as a multi-species hybrid from the start, so they do not have the breed choice Dog-Boys get. They do, however, have several abilities derived from their progenitor species.

Advantages
Amphibious: Gribbs are all naturally amphibious, and excellent swimmers beyond that. They have a Pace of 8 (and a 'run' die of d8) in the water, and a Swimming Skill at d6+2 to start. They also will not drown in oxygenated water. (+5)
Powerful Legs: Gribbs are also excellent at making leaps; they can jump 2" vertically, or 4" horizontally, and can add d6" to either direction with a successful Strength roll. (+1)
Vision: Their bulbous eyes grant Gribbs a +2 to Notice rolls based off of vision. (+1)
Poisonous Touch: Gribbs can exude a natural toxin through their skin that forces a Vigor roll at -2 on a successful touch attack; failure causes the target to suffer a level of Fatigue (this can Incapacitate, but not kill). (+3)
Flycatcher: A Gribbs' tongue can lash out to 2" away; this can deliver the toxic touch attack, and grab items (or initiate a grapple attack) from that distance, but the tongue cannot wield tools or weapons effectively. (+2)
Disadvantages
It's a Frog-Man: Between their obviously frog-like heads, and their bizarre leg formation, Frog-Men are visibly non-human (and are not considered loyal CS citizens by humans the way Dog-Boys are), so they suffer -4 Cha from any CS citizens they do encounter, and cannot use standard armor or vehicles not designed specifically for them. (-3)
Arcane Deficiency: Gribbs cannot use either ISP or PPE, nor take IFs that rely on such. (-2)
Skin-breathers: While they don't need to stay wet constantly, Gribbs do need to spend about an hour every day in oxygenated water, or suffer Fatigue each day until they become incapacitated. (-2)
Cold-Blooded: Since they do not produce their own body-heat, they are at a -4 to resist the effects of cold-based powers or environmental effects, and suffer double damage from attacks using cold. As a side-effect, they do not show up to Infravision. (-1)
Croakers: Gribbs are unable to communicate in any language known to other races, though they can speak to one another just fine, and understand spoken speech. (-1)
Bug-Eaters: Their tendency to just pluck bugs out of the air and swallow is off-putting to most other species; they suffer a -1 Charisma around non Frog-Men who witness this behavior. (-1)

Freemage
Veteran

#166 Postby Freemage » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:13 pm

I really hope some people find some of this interesting or useful... :D

CHIRUR
The Chirur often strike others as a contradiction; while cold and aloof, they have a natural empathic ability that makes them among the best healers in the MegaVerse. Despite this, they have a personality that strikes other races as borderline sociopathic. They view other species much like machines that need proper maintenance. This faculty even extends to cybernetics--if a system interfaces with living flesh, it seems to resonate to their perceptions. They can even use this to read (and manipulate) emotions, on a subtle scale.

Advantages
Empaths: They perceive the auras of the living, including active cybernetics; this even gives them insight into the minds of others. They gain a +2 to Healing and Persuasion rolls. In addition, they are considered to have the Scholar Edge for Knowledge (Cybernetics) and (Medicine), even if they do not meet the requirements. (+6)
Lifesight: Even in total darkness, a Chirur can perceive living beings by their auras. This works similarly to Infravision, but works on any living being. Constructs and the undead, however, are not perceptible to Lifesight. (+1)
Physician, Heal Thyself: Chirur are able to manipulate their own auras, gaining a Natural Healing roll every day. (+2)

Disavantages
Caustic:: Even among friends, the Chirur have a somewhat acidic approach to conversation; treat this as a Habit (Minor), giving them -1 Charisma. (-1)
Obvious D-Bee: Chirur are reptilian in appearance, with black, lidless eyes; nothing short of throwing a sheet over them is going to conceal their inhuman nature, or prevent the -4 Charisma penalty with CS citizens. (-2)
Undead Terror: Chirur have an almost violent reaction to the presence of any sort of undead creature, finding their mere presence utterly nauseating. This is a Phobia (Major), causing a -4 to all Trait rolls in the presence of even the weakest undead. (-2)
Magically Null: Chirur are unable to take the Arcane Background [Magic] Edge, and cannot take an IF that relies on it. (-1)
The Red: The aura of someone engaged in violence is disturbing to the Chirur, throwing them slightly off-balance. They suffer a -1 to Parry. (-1)

LaminatorX
Novice

#167 Postby LaminatorX » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Scottbert wrote:Ponies: Someone had to do it!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tJL ... sp=sharing

I actually typed this up the night after the PDF came out, but I wasn't sure where to post it.

And hey, they make better PCs than psi-ponies, right? :P

I am now imagining an all-Pony party consisting of Techno-Wizard "Gears Glitter," Juicer "Fidgety," Burster "Blazing Flash," Sea Inquisitor "Righteous Kick," Borg "Clanker," and their dragon hatchling buddy.

jcobbers
Novice

#168 Postby jcobbers » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:42 pm

LaminatorX wrote:
I am now imagining an all-Pony party consisting of Techno-Wizard "Gears Glitter," Juicer "Fidgety," Burster "Blazing Flash," Sea Inquisitor "Righteous Kick," Borg "Clanker," and their dragon hatchling buddy.

That would be a pretty gritty and edgy version of My Little Ponies! :twisted:
I do like the Juicers, Bursters and Crazies aren't race limited like they are in the PB Rifts, makes crazy ideas like this totally do-able.

Interestingly, in PB Rifts setting, there are cybernetic horses, i.e. normal horses turned into MDC borgs for people to ride, as well as robotic horses. So there would be the parts for "Clanker" per the original setting. As a bonus might be able to fool most humans that the character actually is either, just a regular cybernetic horse (if she refrained from talking); a human borg that opted for an abnormal body type (which would actually be a cool character concept in of itself too) or robot horse with voice module and advanced AI rather than a Dbee.

I think you should add a cyber knight unicorn pony to this party with her psi sword obviously extending from her horn.

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#169 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:44 am

jcobbers wrote:
LaminatorX wrote:I think you should add a cyber knight unicorn pony to this party with her psi sword obviously extending from her horn.

Heehee... awesome... :D
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'
The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

Freemage
Veteran

#170 Postby Freemage » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:25 am

Yeah, but converting that Alicorn Edge is going to be totally OP (or is "Princess" going to be an IF?)...

LaminatorX
Novice

#171 Postby LaminatorX » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:01 am

jcobbers wrote:That would be a pretty gritty and edgy version of My Little Ponies! :twisted:

They've long had an undercurrent of that. "Rescue at Mindight Castle" way back had them kicking non-cute dragons in the face and the story arc right after that in the old show had a drug-addicted sorceress enslaving the local cute fluffies to run the drug-lab where she made her power juice. In a later arc Meggan drops a city full of demons into an active volcano, like ya do.

Just the same, I have no doubt that these ponies have learned that while a railgun can destroy, or in the right hooves even protect, it can't create, build, or heal - and that making a world gone mad worth living in takes respect, kindness, hope, perserverance, and love.

I think you should add a cyber knight unicorn pony to this party with her psi sword obviously extending from her horn.

"Look, everypony, it's Errantry!"

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#172 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:49 am

We've already seen in various episodes that A) Discord can open portals to other dimensions, and B) screwing around with time travel can cause a desolate, post-apocalyptic future for Equestria. Either one could be a means of getting technicolor magical ponies to Rifts Earth. :lol:
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.

'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'

The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

Hendell
Seasoned

#173 Postby Hendell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:35 pm

I put together a version of the Pixie race that is not intended to be a strict conversion but instead an ideologically valid race choice for play, obviously as an extremely not human size/shape D-Bee a lot of points were involved both negative and positive. As I could not find another version of the Pixie race in the thread I thought I would add it here for your use.

Pixie 21
21 : Positive Racial Abilities
3 : Flight (3) Pace +6”, Climb 1
2 : Sleep Reduction (2)
1 : Armor (1) +2 MDC
2 : Adaptable
2 : Attribute Increase (1) Spirit
2 : Edge. Exceptional Rapid Recharge, Recover 1 pp every 5 minutes
3 : Additional Action
1 : Parry (1) (Hyperactive Pixie Speed) +1 natural Parry
2 : Attribute Increase (1)
3 : Toughness (3) +3 Toughness

-19 : Negative Racial Abilities
-1 : Non-Standard Physiology, Custom size gear double cost
-2: Small, -2 size and therefor toughness
-1 : Cyber Resistant. May never take cybernetics or juicer augmentation
-2 : Distinctive D-Bee (Can not disguise as human) -4 cha
-2 : Hindrance. Clueless, -2 common knowledge
-2 : Hindrance. Small (Skinny for their size) -1 toughness
-2 : Hindrance. Overconfident, refuses to acknowledge size as a disadvantage
-1 : Racial Enemy (Splugorth) -4 cha both ways
-2: Slow (2) -4” pace, 1d4 running die
-3 : Attribute penalty (strength-2)
Hero of The Megaverse #1759
Star Citizen #19667

LaminatorX
Novice

#174 Postby LaminatorX » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:51 pm

SavageGamerGirl wrote:We've already seen in various episodes that A) Discord can open portals to other dimensions, and B) screwing around with time travel can cause a desolate, post-apocalyptic future for Equestria. Either one could be a means of getting technicolor magical ponies to Rifts Earth. :lol:

I will confess to having run a campaign whose climax was an epic battle to prevent Dunscon from capturing the World Tree in which the heroes' forces were supported by both the forces of Equestria and Hanuman's monkey army from the Ramayana. (In a previous adventure they had faced M.O.D.O.K., who was riding around in a converted Spider Skull Walker.)

Freemage
Veteran

#175 Postby Freemage » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:19 pm

Hendell wrote:I put together a version of the Pixie race that is not intended to be a strict conversion but instead an ideologically valid race choice for play, obviously as an extremely not human size/shape D-Bee a lot of points were involved both negative and positive. As I could not find another version of the Pixie race in the thread I thought I would add it here for your use.

Pixie 21
21 : Positive Racial Abilities
3 : Flight (3) Pace +6”, Climb 1
2 : Sleep Reduction (2)
1 : Armor (1) +2 MDC
2 : Adaptable
2 : Attribute Increase (1) Spirit
2 : Edge. Exceptional Rapid Recharge, Recover 1 pp every 5 minutes
3 : Additional Action
1 : Parry (1) (Hyperactive Pixie Speed) +1 natural Parry
2 : Attribute Increase (1)
3 : Toughness (3) +3 Toughness

-19 : Negative Racial Abilities
-1 : Non-Standard Physiology, Custom size gear double cost
-2: Small, -2 size and therefor toughness
-1 : Cyber Resistant. May never take cybernetics or juicer augmentation
-2 : Distinctive D-Bee (Can not disguise as human) -4 cha
-2 : Hindrance. Clueless, -2 common knowledge
-2 : Hindrance. Small (Skinny for their size) -1 toughness
-2 : Hindrance. Overconfident, refuses to acknowledge size as a disadvantage
-1 : Racial Enemy (Splugorth) -4 cha both ways
-2: Slow (2) -4” pace, 1d4 running die
-3 : Attribute penalty (strength-2)

Racial Edges must have the prerequisite Edges. You'd need Rapid Recharge and Improved Rapid Recharge in order to get Exceptional Rapid Recharge--and also an Arcane Background. So that's another 6 points in Edges before that becomes remotely legal. I'd say ditch it entirely, take the Power Points Racial ability or the Power Points Edge (depending on whether or not they can choose what function the points can be used for).

Taking Toughness to counteract Small seems overly complicated to me. Also note: Neither the Small Hindrance nor the Small Racial Disadvantage actually change your Size score--they just kick your Toughness. Really, you probably want to handle their size with the SPC, rather than the racial traits (though you can use Non-standard Physiology to counteract it).

Diminutive Size as a racial ability would be IMNSHO, a 5-point racial ability. (2 points for AB: Superpowers, 4 points for Shrink, 1 point for Density, and -2 for "always on"--not normally an option for that specific power, but since it will definitely have an impact on the character, I think it's fair.) This gives you a character somewhere between 6" and 1' tall, with a -2 penalty for opponents' attack and Notice rolls.

Finally, the Armor racial ability does not give you MDC armor. That'd have to go through the SPC again:

Since you've already got AB: Superpowers, that'll give you a cost of 5 points--1 point for +2 Armor, 4 points for it being Heavy Armor (which is to say, MDC).

Going off of the above, then:

Advantages (15 points):
Diminutive Size (6"-1' tall, -2 to enemy attacks and Notice checks): 5 points
Fae Armor (+2 MDC, does not stack with other worn armors): 5 points
Sleepless: 2 points
Pixies with AB [Magic] get an additional 5 points of PPE: 1 point
Flight (6"): 2 points

Disadvantages (13 points):
Non-standard Physiology: 1 point
Cyber-Resistant: 1 point
Distinctive D-Bee: 2 points
Pixie Brashness (Clueless & Overconfident): 4 points
Slow (Base Pace 2", d4 Running die): 2 points
Strength -2: 3 points

This puts it at the higher end for races, but not completely out of bounds. If you really want to have Climb 1 on the Flight, add in "Vengeful (Minor)" as a Hindrance to balance it out.

JurneeJakes
Novice

#176 Postby JurneeJakes » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:39 am

Freemage
Veteran

#177 Postby Freemage » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:04 pm

My Races file--currently contains CS Lonestar, as well as a trio of home-brews.

pkitty
Seasoned

#178 Postby pkitty » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:02 am

A new player wanted a winged race, but not a Lyn-Srial. We came up with the Lannic.
Fan of Deadlands, quickly becoming a fan of Savage Rifts.
My Savage Rifts house rules, resources, and sample characters.

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#179 Postby Phasma Felis » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:47 pm

Hendell wrote:1 : Armor (1) +2 MDC

I dunno much about Palladium pixies in particular, but giving them MDC seems a bit much unless they're meant to be *really* tough, in which case they should also get a commensurate armor/toughness boost. Generally, anything less tough than power armor shouldn't be MDC.
Freemage wrote:Racial Edges must have the prerequisite Edges. You'd need Rapid Recharge and Improved Rapid Recharge in order to get Exceptional Rapid Recharge--and also an Arcane Background. So that's another 6 points in Edges before that becomes remotely legal. I'd say ditch it entirely, take the Power Points Racial ability or the Power Points Edge (depending on whether or not they can choose what function the points can be used for).

Racial Edges don't generally have to meet the prereqs, so Arcane Background isn't strictly needed (though you won't get any use out of Rapid Recharge without it). Racials do generally have to respect Edge chains, so yeah, you can't jump straight to Exceptional Rapid Recharge. I agree that the Power Points racial (or Natural Arcane Affinity, as the D'Norr entry calls it) would probably be better; it at least lets you power techno-wizard devices without an AB. (Or maybe a variable ability? +5 PPE if you don't otherwise have any, Rapid Recharge instead if you do.)

jcobbers
Novice

#180 Postby jcobbers » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:17 pm

Phasma Felis wrote:
Hendell wrote:1 : Armor (1) +2 MDC

I dunno much about Palladium pixies in particular, but giving them MDC seems a bit much unless they're meant to be *really* tough, in which case they should also get a commensurate armor/toughness boost. Generally, anything less tough than power armor shouldn't be MDC.

In original Rifts almost all magic creatures are MDC, including Fairies; and Pixies are fairies, and their stats do in fact reflect them as MDC in that setting. However, most fairy folk have less than 100 MDC, putting them on par with Rifts MDC Body Armors. I think only the Willow-o-the-wisp has several hundred MDC largely because it inhabits a tree. FOr a SR conversion some of the bigger and meaner fairies might be appropriate to give a few points of SR MDC as they tend to have higher MDC in the original setting as compared to the more gentle varieties like pixies.
IMHO most fairies like pixies, should have a natural toughness and armor on par with SR body armor to keep the parity represented in the original setting.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”