Cyber Knight Armour

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Maelgwyn
Novice

Cyber Knight Armour

#1 Postby Maelgwyn » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:52 pm

In the entries for Medium and Heavy Cyber Knight armors there is a mention of "In addition to the usual enchantments" but I am unclear what enchantments it is referring to. Is this a reference to the Pace and Leap bonus mentioned in the Light armor. Or are those bonuses only for the light armor?

Also in the general sidebar about Technowizard armor (which Cyber Knight armor is) it mentions that if the armor is unpowered because you haven't spent your 1pp/hr then the Armour and Toughness bonuses are halved. But in the Light Cyber Knight armor at least it explicitly says that without power the armor looses it's other powers but keeps it's +4 armor bonus. There isn't a similar statement for medium and heavy, does that mean that they do halve their bonuses but light armor is a special case?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: Cyber Knight Armour

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:07 am

Maelgwyn wrote:In the entries for Medium and Heavy Cyber Knight armors there is a mention of "In addition to the usual enchantments" but I am unclear what enchantments it is referring to.

See here.

Maelgwyn wrote:There isn't a similar statement for medium and heavy, does that mean that they do halve their bonuses but light armor is a special case?

It does.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Maelgwyn
Novice

#3 Postby Maelgwyn » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:27 am

Hmmmm. So follow on from Clint's clarification that suggests that only light armor gets the movement bonuses, medium and heavy only get armor and toughness bonuses, no movement bonuses.

Plus for medium armor at least, if it is unpowered, it actually offers less protection than light when it is powered down. By my calculation, light offers +4 armor when powered down, Medium offers +3 and heavy offers +5.

Am I reading that right?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#4 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:10 am

Maelgwyn wrote:only light armor gets the movement bonuses, medium and heavy only get armor and toughness bonuses, no movement bonuses.

Plus each armor the embedded power listed for it, correct.

Maelgwyn wrote:Plus for medium armor at least, if it is unpowered, it actually offers less protection than light when it is powered down. By my calculation, light offers +4 armor when powered down, Medium offers +3 and heavy offers +5.

Am I reading that right?

Without power, Light gives +4 Armor, Medium gives +3 Armor, and Heavy gives +4 Armor and +1 Toughness. Also the weight of all three armors increases as indicated, and the embedded powers cannot be used.
But, that's common for Techno-Wizard gear. Without power it's trash that shouldn't be used, with power it's as good or better than any competing items. And given that power is 1 Power Point / Hour, that means someone wearing TW armor is basically down 1 PP, until they get an improved recharge rate.

GregAlso
Novice

#5 Postby GregAlso » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:18 am

I know I am resurrecting this old thread here but I can't seem to find a clear answer in my reading or on the boards about Cyber-Knight armor and the the Cyber Armor interaction. The initial +2 toughness stacks with all worn armor even though it is physical armor itself? I get the sense that physical armor normally doesn't stack with physical armor but since this is improved toughness instead of armor then it does? (I am asking this because the IE "Master Cyber Armor" says it stacks with worn armor but the others do not explicitly say that.)

Additionally, what does heavy armor mean when it says it must interface with a cyber-knight's personal cyber armor to work? I think it means that only a cyber-knight can wear the heavy armor because they are the only ones with the cyber armor to interface. But does it also mean the +2 toughness is already factored into the stats of the heavy armor as well or that the wearer doesn't get the benefit of the Cyber armor while wearing the heavy armor?

Just trying to be clear. Sorry if this is a stupid question or if there is a thread about this that I've missed somewhere else.

Freemage
Veteran

#6 Postby Freemage » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:02 am

GregAlso wrote:I know I am resurrecting this old thread here but I can't seem to find a clear answer in my reading or on the boards about Cyber-Knight armor and the the Cyber Armor interaction. The initial +2 toughness stacks with all worn armor even though it is physical armor itself? I get the sense that physical armor normally doesn't stack with physical armor but since this is improved toughness instead of armor then it does? (I am asking this because the IE "Master Cyber Armor" says it stacks with worn armor but the others do not explicitly say that.)

No worries; you just missed a small distinction of game mechanics:
In the game's terminology, "Armor" and "Toughness" are two separate things, though they are usually combined for your final damage resistance in a stat block.
For purposes of Stacking, normally, two physical boosts to your Armor value do not stack. (So if you put on a flack jacket under chainmail shirt, only the higher one applies to your Armor value.) Toughness bonuses, however, DO stack. So if you have a suit of Huntsman Armor (+5 Armor, +1 Toughness), and activate your Cyber-Armor power, then you get +5 Armor, and +3 Toughness.
Now, as I said, normally, physical Armor bonuses do not stack--which is why Master Cyber-Armor explicitly states that its Armor bonus DOES stack with worn armor.

Additionally, what does heavy armor mean when it says it must interface with a cyber-knight's personal cyber armor to work? I think it means that only a cyber-knight can wear the heavy armor because they are the only ones with the cyber armor to interface. But does it also mean the +2 toughness is already factored into the stats of the heavy armor as well or that the wearer doesn't get the benefit of the Cyber armor while wearing the heavy armor?

Just trying to be clear. Sorry if this is a stupid question or if there is a thread about this that I've missed somewhere else.

Just to keep things straight, we have "Cyber-Armor Power" and "Cyber-Knight Heavy Armor". The first is the ability to grow a metal shell from the Iconic Framework, the second is a piece of gear you can buy on the open market.

Normally, anyone with an Arcane Background can use any piece of Techno-Wizard gear; so a Ley Line Walker who puts on a suit of Cyber-KnightMedium Armor gets to use the lower weight value, and can trigger the healing/succor Power (whichever this particular suit is equipped with). The Heavy Cyber-Knight Heavy Armor's text (hereafter the CKHA) means that if the wearer doesn't have the Cyber-Armor Power up and active, then the CKHA will not gain the bonuses from being Techno-Wizard gear. So it will not grant a Ley Line Walker the ability to cast barrier, and it will weigh the full 24 lbs.

That said, the CKHA does fully stack with the Cyber-Armor Power, so the +8A/+2T adds to the base Cyber-Armor Power's +2T, meaning the Cyber-Knight gains a total of +8A/+4T. If the Cyber-Knight had Master Cyber-Armor Edge, she would have +10 MDC Armor, +6 Toughness.

GregAlso
Novice

#7 Postby GregAlso » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:32 am

Thank you Freemage. That makes sense and I really appreciate the response!

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#8 Postby Phasma Felis » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Freemage wrote:Toughness bonuses, however, DO stack.

With one specific exception I'm aware of: the Combat Cyborg's +3 Toughness explicitly doesn't stack with worn armor. (The regular Reenforced Frame bionics still do, I think; I assume that's just to keep munchkins from trying to wear power armor on top of a cyborg body for extra Toughness.)

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#9 Postby Sitting Duck » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:08 pm

Phasma Felis wrote:
Freemage wrote:Toughness bonuses, however, DO stack.

With one specific exception I'm aware of: the Combat Cyborg's +3 Toughness explicitly doesn't stack with worn armor. (The regular Reenforced Frame bionics still do, I think; I assume that's just to keep munchkins from trying to wear power armor on top of a cyborg body for extra Toughness.)

IIRC Combat Cyborgs are Size +1, so wouldn't fit in any of the listed power armor.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#10 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:12 pm

Sitting Duck wrote:IIRC Combat Cyborgs are Size +1, so wouldn't fit in any of the listed power armor.

They can get it customized for a significant cost increase (double purchase and repairs).

Unless noted otherwise, Toughness bonuses do stack. Pretty sure the 'borg's Toughness was added into the middle of the M.D.C. Armor ability when they were incorporating early errata. While I'm sure they don't intend for the enhanced Toughness to stack with Toughness from armor (body or power), I'm not sure if they were thinking about that when they wrote the ability.

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#11 Postby Phasma Felis » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:15 pm

[/quote="Sitting Duck"]IIRC Combat Cyborgs are Size +1, so wouldn't fit in any of the listed power armor.[/quote]
ValhallaGH wrote:They can get it customized for a significant cost increase (double purchase and repairs).

You can also (by a strict reading of the core book's Size rules, anyway) take the Small hindrance to be Size +0. :) (Though I think that a GM would be within their rights to say you're still too heavy/oddly-shaped to use stock equipment.)

That's what my current character is doing--he's a lightweight combat model meant to liaise with conventional troops and civilians, so he's got Small (For a Cyborg) and Attractive (For a Cyborg), giving him human-normal Size and Charisma. He's got his original fleshy head instead of a metal monster mask, and just wears a helmet in combat. (Still not gonna try to wear power armor, though.) :D

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#12 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:53 pm

The Small hindrance doesn't change the Iconic Framework complication "Heavy", which is why a Combat Cyborg has to pay so much more for armors and vehicles. 8)

Stonefur
Novice

#13 Postby Stonefur » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:43 pm

That a neat idea, normal human size borg, still crushes bucket seats in back of Mountaineer. Great mental picture.
Fifty pounds of cow manure plus fifty pounds of ice cream equals one hundred pounds of cow manure. :!:

operations
Seasoned

#14 Postby operations » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:47 am

Mmm.... We have been running Cyber Knight Armor wrong. I will have to let the player know how it works, and if he wants to swap types to avoid constant ISP use when he really needs those for powers, retcon that in.
~~KT~~

Freemage
Veteran

#15 Postby Freemage » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:41 pm

operations wrote:Mmm.... We have been running Cyber Knight Armor wrong. I will have to let the player know how it works, and if he wants to swap types to avoid constant ISP use when he really needs those for powers, retcon that in.

Just note that 1 ISP/hr is also the normal rate of recharge. So it's mainly an issue of needing to power-down after a fight to let your personal pool refill--or just take Rapid/Improved Rapid Recharge, and then you're never really down much ISP at all.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”