[SR] Making the Mind Melter worth choosing

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: [SR] Making the Mind Melter worth choosing

#121 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:55 am

Dragon3434 wrote:I like this. Also they should have soul blast.

Gah! A Necromancer!

Having to choose between "No tell" and "Ignore all armor" is a heck of a trapping choice to have to make. And once you do, you're stuck with it. The choice comes down to intended play style - heavy combatant? Soul blast. Sneaky, subtle, or infiltration focused? No tell.

Giving a framework that has no RP restrictions access to a trapping that completely bypasses damage protection is ... campaign breaking.
Glitter Boy with Toughness 30 (18) M.D.C.
Mind melter can control him with puppet or can kill him with a soul blast (2d6 to 6d6 versus Toughness 6; average damage 8.4 to 25.2, plus 4.2 for a Raise, causing Shaken to 4 Wounds on an expected damage roll, plus one Wound for a Raise).
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Fponkdamn
Novice

#122 Postby Fponkdamn » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:10 pm

Dragon3434 wrote:I like this.

Thanks! Actually, I did a lot of work after coming up with that, and with the help of people here I ended up creating a homebrewed addition to the Mind Melter that has worked very well in my game. It hasn't been campaign breaking, it's given the MMs a lot of extra flavor and niche, and it's been fun to play. I'll post it below the fold:

=================================================================
Everything below is in addition to what MMs get in the TLPG:

Bio-Manipulation: A Mind Melter can cause terrible trauma in living, predominantly organic beings with central nervous systems simply by manipulating their brains to cause heart attacks, strokes, aneurysms, or other potentially fatal conditions. There is no discernible action on the part of the Mind Melter (as per Pure Force of Will, below). The Mind Melter must succeed on a Psionics roll as an action to attempt this. The victim, who must be within 12", must make a Vigor roll or take a Wound. Additional ISP can be spent to increase this range or improve the Psionics roll as per the rules for Major Psionics. Line of Sight is not required if Presence Sense is used.

Mind Wipe: If a Mind Melter has unrestricted access to a person's mind (either via a minute of droning hypnotism, or more simply with use of the Telepathy, Mind Reader or Puppet powers), the Mind Melter can attempt to alter their very memories. This requires an opposed Smarts roll. If successful, the Mind Melter can remove a short memory. With a raise the Mind Melter can completely change the memory or remove a longer memory (up to an hour). If repairing a memory (one changed due to this power, or perhaps lost to trauma), the Mind Melter recovers a short memory or a part of a longer one (5 minutes maximum again) on a success, or the entire lost memory on a raise. If the memory was altered by someone else, the Mind Melter is opposed by the Smarts of the one who changed it. The target may roll his own Smarts as a Cooperative Roll to either side of the contest (depending on whether he wants to reveal or keep the original memory hidden).

Presence Sense: As an action, Mind Melters may make a Notice roll to pinpoint the location of any living creature that can think, within a range equal to their Smarts (so it applies to animals as well as humanoids, but not robots, plants or undead). If the Notice roll is successful, such creatures gain no benefit from any level of obscurement (darkness, fog, invisibility, etc.) and a Mind Melter does not need line of sight to affect such creatures with non-damaging powers, thus ignoring cover (though note the multi-action penalty).

Pure Force of Will: All non-damaging Powers used by the Mind Melter have no visible trappings other than the direct effect. There are no magic words, no glowing energy, etc. If someone specifically suspects a Mind Melter at work, they may make a Notice roll with -4 to try to figure out who’s behind the activity (and of course Detect Arcana works just fine). Some things will be obvious even if there’s no visible power use – people will still see a car hurled through a storefront via Telekinesis, even if they can’t see the power itself. Any power requiring a touch still requires it, though the touch could be as subtle as brushing up against someone on the street.

Eidetic: Mind Melters can read up to 30 pages of text per minute and automatically remember everything they read with perfect clarity. This provides no comprehension for languages the Mind Melter doesn’t know, just memorization.

Versatile Masters: At character creation, a Mind Melter may choose 1 additional Power Edge.

NEW ICONIC EDGES

Advanced Bio-Manipulation
Requirements: Seasoned, Mind Melter
Targets of your Bio-Manipulation now have to roll an opposed Vigor roll against your Psionics roll, rather than just a normal success check.

Deadly Bio-Manipulation
Requirements: Heroic, Mind Melter, Advanced Bio-Manipulation
In addition to the benefits of Advanced Bio-Manipulation, for every raise you get on your opposed Psionics roll, the target takes an additional Wound.

Advanced Presence Sense
Requirements: Mind Melter
Presence Sense may be used as a Free Action.

Psychic Omni-Sight
By entering into a meditative state as an action, the Mind Melter can see through the mind’s eye, greatly heightening awareness to a range equal to Spirit. In this state, the Mind Melter can see energy signatures such as electricity and heat, can see into the infrared and ultraviolet spectrums, and can see through thin physical barriers such as clothes, body armor and bags (though not walls or Power Armor/Vehicles). This grants a +4 to Notice checks, but the Mind Melter cannot move or speak while using this ability and may only take free actions. The Mind Melter may end the state at any time.

Mental Mastery
Requirements: Seasoned, Mind Melter
You learn one new Power of your Rank or lower, which may be any power, not just one from your normal list. You may only take this Edge once per Rank.

Decipher
You can understand all written languages.
======================================================================

If you like it, feel free to steal it! :)

tjstack
Novice

#123 Postby tjstack » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:54 am

An idea I had to improve the Mind Melter. I borrowed this idea from the D&D 5th Edition Sorcerer. They have the same number of spells as any other primary casting class, but they are better able to control their powers. How about adding something like this to the Mind Melter Class? This way both they and the M.A.R.S. Melter wannabe can still have the same abilities, but the Melter can control them much better. This list can even be expanded to include other Savage Worlds specific options. I just went with the existing Sorcerer Metamagic list (with the exception of subtle replaced with misdirected).

Metapsionics
Mind Melters have the ability to twist their psionics to suit their needs. A Mind Melter knows one of the following abilities per rank.

- Empowered Psionics
When you roll damage for a power, you may spend 1 Power Point to reroll the damage dice. You may choose which roll to use.

- Extended Psionics
When you use a psionic power that has a base duration of 1 round or longer, you may spend 1 Power Point to double its base duration.

- Heightened Psionics
When you use a psionic power that forces a creature to make an opposed roll to resist its effects, you may spend 1 Power Point to give one target of the power -2 on the opposed roll.

- Quickened Psionics
When you use a psionic power, you may spend 2 Power Points to use the power as a free action.

- Careful Psionics
When you use a psionic power with a template, you can protect some of the creatures within the template from the powers full force. To do so, you may spend 1 Power Point and choose a number of those creatures up to half of your Spirit Die to exclude from the effect.

- Distant Psionics
When you use a psionic power that has a range of 1 or greater, you may spend 1 Power Point to double the range of the power. When you use a psionic power that has a range of touch, you can spend 1 Power Point to extend the range of the power to 6 inches.

- Misdirected Psionics
When you use a psionic power, you may spend 1 Power Point to cast it so its trappings appear to emanate from a different source within 6 inches.

- Twinned Psionics
When you use a psionic power that targets only one creature and doesnt have a range of self, you can spend a number of Power Points equal to the rank of the power to target a second creature in range with the same power.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Last edited by tjstack on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:55 am, edited 12 times in total.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#124 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Interesting adaptations.
Empowered is probably too good. Spending 1 ISP to do the same job as a Benny (and the No Mercy edge in settings that aren't Blood & Guts) is probably game breaking.
Extended would be fine it if weren't for powers like conceal aracana, light, and environmental protection that have a duration measured in tens of minutes or hours. That's in addition to the huge power boost to the powers that are costly to maintain, like quickness, which don't need a power increase. ... Maybe change this to the maintenance cost +1 (2 for most powers). That would probably work out okay, though you'll want to play test it.
Heightened should mirror the costs of granting a bonus for a Major Psionic; 2 ISP for a +1 (+2) and 4 ISP for a +2 (+4).
Quickened is campaign ending when combined with the ability to use multiple powers in the same round. At a minimum, this needs to be limited to once per turn. Even then, it is strong enough to justify a 4 ISP cost, if not more. Play testing will be required.

Freemage
Veteran

#125 Postby Freemage » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:01 pm

By my reading, this is meant to coexist with 'normal' Trappings, not be unique Trappings for the MM to use, correct? This does represent a significant upgrade, then, since some Trappings will affect the same aspects of the powers in question.

Some possible suggestions, given ValhallaGH's concerns:

Empowered: When casting a direct damage power, you may spend 1 ISP at the time of casting to roll damage twice, taking whichever roll you prefer--but you must decide which roll to keep before re-rolling Aces. This makes it a bit different (and less versatile) than spending a Bennie for a reroll. It also may result in some degree of Analysis Paralysis: "My first roll is 4 "2"s and 2 "6"s; my other roll is 6 "5"s. Do I take the 20 and hope to keep Acing, or do I take the 30 and sit?"

Heightened: Okay, I'm just remembering this from 3.x, so I'm not sure how it compares with the 5th Ed concept, but if I recall, the main function of Heighten Spell was to make the spell more 'durable', piercing level-based defenses, making it possible to win against counterspells and so on. If that's still the role of the Heightened Spell, then I'd say "Heightened Psionics" would instead cost 1 ISP to give the Power a +4 to resist being Dispelled (whether by the Dispel power, or by specific counterspells like Light/Obscure).

Extended: For any power with a Duration and a Maintenance Cost, you may pre-pay the Maintenance cost for as many turns as you like during the casting. (This means you're not maintaining the spell/power for a longer period of time, which means you avoid the associated casting penalty.)

Quickened Psionics: When using a Power, you may spend 2 ISP to counter two points of Multi-Action Penalty for that Psionics roll only. (This isn't as good as making it a 'free action'--it still adds to the MAPs of other actions taken that round. You just get the anti-penalty to this one roll.)

tjstack
Novice

#126 Postby tjstack » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:57 am

I finally edited my original post to include the other options (for some reason it kept confusing apostrophes with not being part of the english language and not allowing the post, lol.)

Metapsionics
Mind Melters have the ability to twist their psionics to suit their needs. A Mind Melter knows one of the following abilities per rank.

- Empowered Psionics
When you roll damage for a power, you may spend 1 Power Point to reroll the damage dice. You may choose which roll to use.

- Extended Psionics
When you use a psionic power that has a base duration of 1 round or longer, you may spend 1 Power Point to double its base duration.

- Heightened Psionics
When you use a psionic power that forces a creature to make an opposed roll to resist its effects, you may spend 1 Power Point to give one target of the power -2 on the opposed roll.

- Quickened Psionics
When you use a psionic power, you may spend 2 Power Points to use the power as a free action.

- Careful Psionics

When you use a psionic power with a template, you can protect some of the creatures within the template from the powers full force. To do so, you may spend 1 Power Point and choose a number of those creatures up to half of your Spirit Die to exclude from the effect.

- Distant Psionics
When you use a psionic power that has a range of 1 or greater, you may spend 1 Power Point to double the range of the power. When you use a psionic power that has a range of touch, you can spend 1 Power Point to extend the range of the power to 6 inches.

- Misdirected Psionics
When you use a psionic power, you may spend 1 Power Point to cast it so its trappings appear to emanate from a different source within 6 inches.

- Twinned Psionics
When you use a psionic power that targets only one creature and doesnt have a range of self, you can spend a number of Power Points equal to the rank of the power to target a second creature in range with the same power.

I know some of these ideas wont work as and need work. The overall idea behind it is giving the melter finer control over HOW his powers function (not just trappings, but more advance physical effects, usually at the cost of more PP) This gives the melter something unique to bump his power level while keeping it out of the hands of MARS wannabes. I just took the Sorcerers metamagic idea and made a quick simple conversion so I could get it posted, figuring the community would be able to flesh it out and balance the idea further. So, by all means nitpick, change and tear apart the idea as needed. If they need tweaks , let me know. :D

tjstack
Novice

#127 Postby tjstack » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:13 am

Metapsionics

- Empowered Psionics (Revised)
When casting a direct damage power, you may spend 1 ISP at the time of casting to roll damage twice, taking whichever roll you prefer--but you must decide which roll to keep before re-rolling Aces.

- Extended Psionics (Revised)
When you use pay to maintain the duration of a psionic power, you may spend 1 Power Point less on the first maintenance cost of that power. (ie ... 3 (1/round) would run for 3 rounds, maintain a 4th round for free, then 1 pp per round thereafter with a -1 to arcane skill for each round after the 3rd)

- Heightened Psionics (Needs revision)

- Quickened Psionics (Revised)
When using a Power, you may spend 2 ISP to counter two points of Multi-Action Penalty for that Psionics roll only.

- Careful Psionics (new)

- Distant Psionics (new)

- Misdirected Psionics (new)

- Twinned Psionics (new)

tjstack
Novice

#128 Postby tjstack » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:18 am

Heightened: Okay, I'm just remembering this from 3.x, so I'm not sure how it compares with the 5th Ed concept, but if I recall, the main function of Heighten Spell was to make the spell more 'durable', piercing level-based defenses, making it possible to win against counterspells and so on. If that's still the role of the Heightened Spell, then I'd say "Heightened Psionics" would instead cost 1 ISP to give the Power a +4 to resist being Dispelled (whether by the Dispel power, or by specific counterspells like Light/Obscure).

5th edition Heightened makes the power harder to resist by its target (which is what I used for this option):
Heightened Spell
When you cast a spell that forces a creature to make a saving throw to resist its effects, you can spend 3 sorcery points to give one target of the spell disadvantage on its first saving throw made against the spell.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#129 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:38 am

Careful doesn't protect from "full force", it protects completely. It also removes an tactical consideration of the use of area powers, which cuts out interesting choices. I see that as a bad thing. I'd change it to give the protected targets +4 Armor or +4 on any rolls to resist, if I wanted to keep this. Being able to protect up to 7 people (d12+2 Spirit) for 1 ISP seems a bit odd.
Distant is already covered by the ability of every Major Psionic. Spend +1 or +2 ISP to increase the range by x2 (x4) or x10 (x20). The only advantage here is giving a 6" range to Touch powers (which is actually pretty cool, and probably worthwhile).
Misdirected is a potent Trapping advantage, easily worth +1 ISP when it's your normal trapping. Being able to do it on the fly is worth at least +2 ISP.
Twinned is probably broken. You get to puppet two targets, single-target onslaught two targets (dealing 6d6 Mega Damage to two guys for 5 ISP), quickness two targets (like yourself and your Juicer buddy), or any other potent single-target effect on two targets at once. Combined with Quickened Psionics and the ability to cast multiple powers in a round, and this is probably going to shatter encounters. I'd advise eliminating this ability entirely.

Freemage
Veteran

#130 Postby Freemage » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:27 am

One additional way to balance some of these would be to make the entire list an option-menu, accessed with an Edge:

Meta-Psionic (Iconic, Mind Melter, Novice, Psionics d8, Smarts d8):
You may select any two Meta-Psionic modifications from the list; once known, these may be applied 'on the fly' to any Psionic Power use. This Edge may be taken more than once, but only once per Rank (or every other Advance after Legendary). You may only use a single modification from this list on any given power.

Now, moving on to the list, again, trying to account for ValhallaGH's concerns about the new ones:

Careful: For 1 ISP, you may select a number of targets up to one-half your Spirit die who are within the area of effect of a Power you invoke, granting them a measure of protection. These targets gain the benefit of the Arcane Resistance Edge against this power. If they have Arcane Resistance, it becomes Improved Arcane Resistance; if they have Improved Arcane Resistance, then they may ignore the power's effects completely.

Distant: For 1 ISP, you may give a Touch Power a Range of your Spirit die in inches.

Misdirected: For 1 ISP, you may conceal the point of origin of a ranged Power you invoke, causing it to manifest directly on the target. For 2 ISP, you may make it appear to originate from any square within your Spirit die in inches.

Twinned: You may cast a single-target power twice, paying the full cost for both invocations, and an additional +2 ISP beyond that, without causing a Multi-Action Penalty. Other than the target, all other effects must remain identical (for instance, if using Twinned Greater Smite, you must assign the same Trapping to both invocations). You only roll a single Wild Die for both spells. You may only use Twinned once per round (not per turn, per round; thus, it can only be used once even if you are under the effects of quickness).

Twinned is probably still too strong, honestly, but it should be a bit better than the original.

tjstack
Novice

#131 Postby tjstack » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:07 pm

While I LOVE the idea of the meta-psionics edge, Leaving it as something outside the Melter class as an option doesn't address the original concern that Melters were too weak and too easy to duplicate/surpass with MARS. Maybe add it as a feature to the Melter IF where they can choose two of the meta-psionics as options that can be applied to a power (but only one meta-psionic effect per power). This gives the melter a bit of a power boost and flexibility while allowing a MARS to create their own Melter-Lite that is similiar, but unable to mimic the extra power modifications.

Metapsionics
Mind Melters have the ability to twist their psionics to suit their needs. A Mind Melter chooses two metapsionics effects at creation and may choose another at each rank. A power may only have one meta-psionic applied to it at a time.

- Empowered Psionics (Revised)
When casting a direct damage power, you may spend 1 ISP at the time of casting to roll damage twice, taking whichever roll you prefer--but you must decide which roll to keep before re-rolling Aces.

- Extended Psionics (Revised)
When you use pay to maintain the duration of a psionic power, you may spend 1 Power Point less on the first maintenance cost of that power. (ie ... 3 (1/round) would run for 3 rounds, maintain a 4th round for free, then 1 pp per round thereafter with a -1 to arcane skill for each round after the 3rd)

- Heightened Psionics (Needs Revision)

- Quickened Psionics (Revised)
When using a Power, you may spend 2 ISP to counter two points of Multi-Action Penalty for that Psionics roll only.

- Careful Psionics (Revised)
For 1 ISP, you may select a number of targets up to one-half your Spirit die who are within the area of effect of a Power you invoke, granting them a measure of protection. These targets gain the benefit of the Arcane Resistance Edge against this power. If they have Arcane Resistance, it becomes Improved Arcane Resistance; if they have Improved Arcane Resistance, then they may ignore the power's effects completely.

- Distant Psionics (Revised)
For 1 ISP, you may give a Touch Power a Range of your Spirit die in inches

- Misdirected Psionics (Revised)
For 1 ISP, you may conceal the point of origin of a ranged Power you invoke, causing it to manifest directly on the target. For 2 ISP, you may make it appear to originate from any square within your Spirit die in inches.

- Twinned Psionics (Removed)

Freemage
Veteran

#132 Postby Freemage » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:58 pm

tjstack wrote:While I LOVE the idea of the meta-psionics edge, Leaving it as something outside the Melter class as an option doesn't address the original concern that Melters were too weak and too easy to duplicate/surpass with MARS. Maybe add it as a feature to the Melter IF where they can choose two of the meta-psionics as options that can be applied to a power (but only one meta-psionic effect per power). This gives the melter a bit of a power boost and flexibility while allowing a MARS to create their own Melter-Lite that is similiar, but unable to mimic the extra power modifications.

That's why I made it an Iconic Edge, like Split the Seconds, Gun Nut, Cyberkinetic Denial, etc--ONLY the Iconic Frameworks listed can take Iconic Edges assigned to them. So the Edge would be something that some MMs would take, but others might build in other directions. It would still leave the 'uniqueness' of the IF intact, since they'd be the only ones who can go there. Since the Edge can be taken once per Rank, one MM might have no metapsionics, while another would have the full boat by the time they hit Heroic. The wannabes would never be eligible for it, without converting IFs entirely, which is something that can only happen with GM approval, so it's purely the realm of house rules anyway.

Akerbakk
Novice

#133 Postby Akerbakk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:15 pm

I like these meta psionics options. Seems like you could port the Rituals Setting Rule from the Horror Companion, give it a dash of the Power Stunts Setting Rule from SPC, and get similar results. Here's my idea:

Metapsychic (Seasoned, Mind Melter only)

Once per rank starting at Seasoned, the player may select one of the following benefits. To activate in play, the MM must spend a Benny, and the effect lasts long enough to activate the next power. The benefits from Metapsychic stack with any Major Psychic enhancements activated.

• Double his Power Points: Every Power Point the psi spends counts as two.

• Extend the Range: The psi may double the Range of a power.

• Extend the Duration: The psi may double the normal Duration.

• Increase Damage: The psi can increase the damage of a spell by +2d6.

• Increase Effect: The caster adds an additional +2 to a spell’s effect (or adds -2 to resist)

Radecliffe
Novice

#134 Postby Radecliffe » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:39 pm

Honestly I prefer the KISS principle.

I like the suggestion about adding the Danger Sense and Sixth Sense edges.

I also think Mind Melters should get a 1 die bump to Smarts and/or Spirit.

I do think it's wrong that Mind Melters don't have any iconic edges. On that subject I think it's wrong that any the frameworks don't have at least one iconic edge.

Not a fan of having to use a Bennie to activate one power though.

I think non Mind Melters should have gotten their own (smaller) powers list so that some powers could remain the bailiwick of the Mind Melter IF.

Finally, for my take on some Iconic Edges:

Master of the Mind
Requirements: Veteran, Mind Melter, Spirit d8+, Smarts d8+

The Mind Melter hones the power of his mind far beyond that of other psychics. When spending ISP to gain a bonus to a Psionics skill roll Mind Melters can choose to spend 1 ISP per +1 bonus up to 4 ISP. When spending ISP to extend the range of a power, double the effect so +1 ISP for Range x 4, +2 ISP for Range x 20. Also, as per the Major Psionic Edge when on a ley line double all bonuses.

The LLW is still has the big edge in endurance on a Ley Line but now the Mind Melter has the big edge in accuracy as long as his power holds out. The Mind Melter has an edge over vanilla Master Psionics in this area as well. The power must still be activated with the appropriate skill roll as normal, however.

I also thought I saw someone suggest an edge or ability that allows the Mind Melter to activate a power as a free action. I think that is a good idea too though I would restrict it to self only powers.

Speed of Thought
Requirements: Veteran, Mind Melter, Smarts d10+
Once per round the Mind Melter may activate any one power that he knows on himself as a free action. Only one power per round may be activated in this way though the Mind Melter may select a different power each time this ability is used.

Again this says the Mind Melter is better at psychic powers than any one else but (at least IMO) still doesn't marginalize the Cyber-Knight who can still cast all their limited set of free actions powers all at once if they want to.

My two cents anyway...

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”