[SR] Starting Powers

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

malikaithered
Novice

[SR] Starting Powers

#1 Postby malikaithered » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:52 pm

So two sessions in I get told I need to change my power selections because no one noticed that "Born a Hero" doesn't apply to the rank required to learn spells. I get 1 extra from a HJ roll so 6 total.

The list actually available to Novice characters-
armor, blind, bolt, boost/lower trait, burrow, burst, confusion, darksight, deflection, entangle, environmental protection, fear, healing, light/obscure, mend, smite, speak language, speed, stun, summon ally, wall walker

Armor, Bolt, Boost/Lower Trait, Heal are what I picked originally that I get to keep. Quickness and Blast are what I need to give up. I'd considered Mend since we have a GB but I couldn't actually find that in the book. Thinking about swapping Speed in to replace quickness. Our team has a Glitterboy, a burster, a Jucier, a wilderness scout dogboy, and my LLW. Suggestions?

SGT Anjay
Seasoned

Re: [SR] Starting Powers

#2 Postby SGT Anjay » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:02 pm

...Born a Hero does apply to starting powers. Unless our GM is house-ruling that it doesn't.

malikaithered
Novice

#3 Postby malikaithered » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:13 pm

"Born A Hero - During character creation, heroes may ignore the Rank qualifications for Edges. They must still have any other requirements as usual. The usual rules for Rank requirements apply after the character is created."

Also I apparently get to keep quickness because the HJ roll specifically calls out that it breaks the required rank rule.

"Arcane casters benefit from a variety of spells. Your hero knows one power of any Rank from her own list or one Novice power normally unavailable"

Brickulos
Veteran

#4 Postby Brickulos » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:25 pm

Powers are gained from an Edge. Meaning you still get to ignore the rank requirements.

Freemage
Veteran

#5 Postby Freemage » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:35 pm

Brickulos is correct--the Edge "New Power" has a Rank Requirement of the Power being chosen, and so it can be ignored for New Power.

What's more, per Clint's official rulings, if you pick a "tiered" Power at creation, like Shapechange or Summon Ally, you are considered Legendary for purposes of casting it. (I will say this was one of the first things I house-ruled with lightning speed--the "Novice Army of Dragons" was just too horrifying to contemplate.)

malikaithered
Novice

#6 Postby malikaithered » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:43 pm

Does that apply to the 5 you get to pick to start? Those aren't getting bought with an edge.

Freemage
Veteran

#7 Postby Freemage » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:50 pm

malikaithered wrote:Does that apply to the 5 you get to pick to start? Those aren't getting bought with an edge.

Yes, it's been pretty clear in the posts Clint's made, and in the Archetypes book for SR, that the Rank requirements don't apply to Novices.

Brickulos
Veteran

#8 Postby Brickulos » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:52 pm

Freemage wrote:
malikaithered wrote:Does that apply to the 5 you get to pick to start? Those aren't getting bought with an edge.

Yes, it's been pretty clear in the posts Clint's made, and in the Archetypes book for SR, that the Rank requirements don't apply to Novices.

They are bought with the Arcane background Edge

Freemage
Veteran

#9 Postby Freemage » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:59 pm

Oh, unless there's a particular Trapping you're enamored with, I'd say ditch Blast, anyway. Your party has both a GB and a Burster--Area of Effect damage is not something it's going to need.

For combat, I'd say go with Fear with either the Heat or Cold Fatigue Trapping. Forcing two separate Resistance rolls on someone to avoid two bad effects is quite tasty.

malikaithered
Novice

#10 Postby malikaithered » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:02 pm

And the Juicer got that 'Grenade cache' HJ roll. I was thinking about Speed. Because Exalted Quickness + Greater Speed on the juicer? She's gone to plaid!

Alrik_vas
Seasoned

#11 Postby Alrik_vas » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:11 pm

I agree that's a good combo.

Though having a few Dragon sidekicks is better. /nod

JurneeJakes
Novice

#12 Postby JurneeJakes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:42 am

Freemage wrote:What's more, per Clint's official rulings, if you pick a "tiered" Power at creation, like Shapechange or Summon Ally, you are considered Legendary for purposes of casting it. (I will say this was one of the first things I house-ruled with lightning speed--the "Novice Army of Dragons" was just too horrifying to contemplate.)

This really needs to be made official. We have a Mystic turn into a Young Adult RIFTS dragon that completely over shadows our Dragon Hatchling, then proceeds to create a Force Multiplication army of Mirrored Selves that each turn into Bear sized creatures. All at Novice level on our first ley line battle. The rest of the party might as well have gone home. While there was plenty of Furious, the Fast and Fun got sucked out pretty quick.

Brickulos
Veteran

#13 Postby Brickulos » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:05 am

The Ley Line is a place for Mystics and Ley Line Walkers to shine. If you're concerned about them overshadowing people. Just steer away from Leylines.

JurneeJakes
Novice

#14 Postby JurneeJakes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:31 am

The Mystic is the only Arcane IF that gets Shapechange by default, though with the appropriate HJ roll, anyone with an Arcane Background could take it and change into an Adult Dragon at Novice level, ley line or not. Yes, I realize it only lasts a minute and can be dispelled, but as a player stated in the game "If I can be a better dragon taking a spellcaster, why am I bothering to be a Hatchling?"

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#15 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:04 pm

One use of dispel can remove all those extra dragons. If it's exalted dispel then it can also turn the primary back into a squishy human. Then the Murder Wraith slams a vibro sword into the Mystic's head.
Problem solved.

Everything has a counter. Also, everything your players can do (and some stuff they can't) can be done by NPCs.
This is why you should always warn players when they go and escalate the campaign power level. :twisted:
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Freemage
Veteran

#16 Postby Freemage » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:42 pm

Brickulos wrote:The Ley Line is a place for Mystics and Ley Line Walkers to shine. If you're concerned about them overshadowing people. Just steer away from Leylines.

This, unfortunately, shuts down a lot of GM options, too. A Rift away from a Nexus is a rare event--so if you want a battle at a Rift, you generally have a Ley Line (and of course, most spellcasting villains will seek out a Ley Line or Nexus for their home base, for obvious reasons).

JurneeJakes
Novice

#17 Postby JurneeJakes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:43 pm

But the question is, countering these things at Novice level when everyone else in the party are playing Crazies, MARS, or other "regularly" (for RIFTS) powered characters get to sit on the sidelines or simply duck and cover. Even a Seasoned Robot Pilot would have difficulty competing for combat roles here.

I have no problem with the dragon form at the Legendary level it was intended for, but when the Mystic can change into an Adult Dragon, then metamorph into whatever the heck it wants...

This is why you should always warn players when they go and escalate the campaign power level.

I've played in enough games to know this rarely results in more fun, but rather a series of one-up-manship of who can kill who better.

Severite
Novice

#18 Postby Severite » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:58 pm

I just happen to disagree with Clint's ruling, while I understand where it is coming from, I don't agree (at least for my game, so you could totally call it a house rule) that that was the intent originally of the inclusion of born a hero. With that said, if somebody wants to specifically spend a starting edge on a new power, it WOULD (in my game), ignore ranks, but the power level would still be restricted to whatever rank you are.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#19 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:01 pm

Greater Shape Change wrote:Note that only natural, inherent abilities to the form are gained, not anything derived from technology or training. Greater shape change cannot confer a Juicer’s chemical and nanotech enhancements, nor does it give the caster a Ley Line Walker’s spellcasting or ley line abilities.

Metamorphing into anything other than a single human (or near human) form is a trained ability of adolescent Dragons. Therefore, a shape change caster cannot turn into a Dragon and then turn into anything else.
Similarly, Flaming Scales, Fast Regeneration, and Teleportation. None of those are inherent to being a Size +8 Dragon, they all required special training (i.e. Edges).
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

JurneeJakes
Novice

#20 Postby JurneeJakes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:39 pm

That changes things a bit, but 44 toughness is still pretty crazy.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”