[SR]How Long to Don/Doff Glitter Boy Armor?

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

nasus
Novice

[SR]How Long to Don/Doff Glitter Boy Armor?

#1 Postby nasus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:08 pm

What are your thoughts on how long it takes to don or doff Glitter Boy Armor in Savage Rifts? The official answer is "it's up to the GM" which isn't helpful at all.
Listen to boisterous actual play recordings of our games on Frivolous Gaming! http://frivolousgaming.blogspot.com/

Epic Mini Painting is accepting commissions: https://epicminipainting.wordpress.com/

Brickulos
Veteran

Re: [SR]How Long to Don/Doff Glitter Boy Armor?

#2 Postby Brickulos » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:11 pm

I visualized it like Fallout 4, you just step into/out of it. So an action?

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#3 Postby Sitting Duck » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:06 pm

In the Triax World Book, the entry for the X-60 Flanker power armor notes that most power armor take one to three minutes to suit up and get running (the Flanker takes a mere fifteen seconds).
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Freemage
Veteran

#4 Postby Freemage » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:34 pm

I asked this on the OA forum, and was told there's no specific answer; it was suggested by Clint to use the "1d6 rounds" rule, which seems pretty fair to me.

viewtopic.php?p=453610#p453610

blackwingedheaven
Seasoned

#5 Postby blackwingedheaven » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:21 pm

Brickulos wrote:I visualized it like Fallout 4, you just step into/out of it. So an action?

This is what I do in my game. In fact, in my game, it's one of the specific benefits of the Glitter Boy as compared to other power armor--you can hop into it an be ready to go in seconds. Other power armor takes 1d6 rounds (or longer) to get into or out of, but the Glitter Boy was always intended to be a "fast response" weapon, as well as the pinnacle of heavy armor technology from its era. I figure it deserves something special since there aren't really any Iconic Edges to support them.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire

Mad Paladin
Novice

#6 Postby Mad Paladin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:45 am

When the PCs had an encounter on the road, I ruled that the GB needed a round to get into his armor and get it up, but that was more because it was the first session and I wanted everyone in the action ASAP. 1d6 rounds sounds good. Would it be unbalanced to say that having an assistant to help with the seals and such knocks a round off that (to a minimum of 1) or down to a d4?

Probably a better visualization of what it takes to done a suit, rather than Fallout, would be the opening cinematic to Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty. Or the various suits from the first Iron Man movie. Granted, those sequences show the suits being constructed, not just donned, but a number of suits (the Flying Titan comes to mind, and other light weight ones) are likely in several pieces that get assembled as their donned. Heavier suits like SAMAS, Samson, and especially the GB are probably closer to the "step into it" model. Does anyone remember the anime series Bubblegum Crisis?

Corwin
Novice

#7 Postby Corwin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:09 am

I like to refer to Maddox-01 for describing and visualizing my dwarf power armor jock's suit of Triax X-10 Predator armor. It has pretty quick in-and-out access.

nasus
Novice

#8 Postby nasus » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:01 am

Thanks for all the input, folks! My Glitter Boy pilot will be pleased.
Listen to boisterous actual play recordings of our games on Frivolous Gaming! http://frivolousgaming.blogspot.com/

Epic Mini Painting is accepting commissions: https://epicminipainting.wordpress.com/

operations
Seasoned

#9 Postby operations » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:04 pm

blackwingedheaven wrote:
Brickulos wrote:I visualized it like Fallout 4, you just step into/out of it. So an action?

This is what I do in my game. In fact, in my game, it's one of the specific benefits of the Glitter Boy as compared to other power armor--you can hop into it an be ready to go in seconds. Other power armor takes 1d6 rounds (or longer) to get into or out of, but the Glitter Boy was always intended to be a "fast response" weapon, as well as the pinnacle of heavy armor technology from its era. I figure it deserves something special since there aren't really any Iconic Edges to support them.

Using the SF Companion and Core Rules, I have it taking 10 minutes to put on/off power armor. Some lighter armors (like Flying Titan) take 5 minutes. The exception is if you have access to what we call an armor bay. Armor bays can be added to any building or large enough vehicle. If adding to a vehicle, they reduce the passenger cap by 2 and take 1 Mod Slot.

An armor bay can be configured to deal with quickly opening and allowing easy entry/exit of a suit of power armor. A suit of power armor in a properly configured armor bay (any Operator could do this, takes Repair d8, Know Engineering d8, and KNow Mechanics d8 to do without rolls, if lower, you need to roll one check each) takes only one full turn to enter and power on. No other actions are allowed during this (think the way the armor gets on/off for Iron Man).

As a side effect, when in standby mode, the armor bay hold access parts for maintenance open, giving easier access and a +1 to repair rolls on the armor. It also makes it easier to swap out any weapons.

Our GB pilot loves that the team Operator has this bay in his Mountaineer ATV. It takes him more time to get out of the Huntsman armor than into his GB with it. We ruled that Huntsman is popular with PA Jocks cause the armor plates are easily detached in a hurry (5 turns, 1 each for each leg, arm, and the body plates), leaving the jumpsuit part (which is a MD cloth mesh we attribute the +1 toughness to). He's actually considering Maverick even though it is less armor because from the images and description, he thinks he can get that off in 2-3 turns.
~~KT~~

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#10 Postby Phasma Felis » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:23 am

Mad Paladin wrote:a number of suits (the Flying Titan comes to mind, and other light weight ones) are likely in several pieces that get assembled as their donned. Heavier suits like SAMAS, Samson, and especially the GB are probably closer to the "step into it" model.

The Flying Titan is weird. The pictures of it are all clearly body armor--strapped-on plates over a form-fitting undersuit--with an attached jetpack, but the description says it's seven feet tall. :-/

You're probably right, in any case. I'd just been thinking about it. :)

Severite
Novice

#11 Postby Severite » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:22 pm

Phasma Felis wrote:
Mad Paladin wrote:a number of suits (the Flying Titan comes to mind, and other light weight ones) are likely in several pieces that get assembled as their donned. Heavier suits like SAMAS, Samson, and especially the GB are probably closer to the "step into it" model.

The Flying Titan is weird. The pictures of it are all clearly body armor--strapped-on plates over a form-fitting undersuit--with an attached jetpack, but the description says it's seven feet tall. :-/

You're probably right, in any case. I'd just been thinking about it. :)

Source material, I forget where, had the glitter boy being stepped into. As for other power armors, I would go case by case, as different manufacturers would design it differently. The flying titan, would absolutely take a relatively long time to don, as, oddly, does the samas, at least by source material, whereas the x-10 predator is another walk in armor. The variances go a long way to breathing life into the world. If it's a matter of not wanting to remember the fiddly bits, then don't =D Make your own call on a case by case basis, just by appearance.

Jrpaikuli
Novice

#12 Postby Jrpaikuli » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:03 am

I try not to make it too complicated. One of the advantages of being a Power Armor or Robot Vehicle pilot and not a Combat Cyborg is that they can get out of the armor/vehicle and interact with the world around them. This is a disadvantage as well in that now they're squishy until they can get back to, suit up, power up, and join the fray. I make it a Piloting/Shooting/Driving/Fighting check (whichever is most applicable, usually their highest). On a fail, it takes 3 rounds to start/equip it. On a success, 2 rounds. On a raise, 1 round. On a double raise, I've let them act with a MAP in the same round. On a critical fail, something bad happens, usually a Technical Difficulty.

Severite
Novice

#13 Postby Severite » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:52 pm

Jrpaikuli wrote:I try not to make it too complicated. One of the advantages of being a Power Armor or Robot Vehicle pilot and not a Combat Cyborg is that they can get out of the armor/vehicle and interact with the world around them. This is a disadvantage as well in that now they're squishy until they can get back to, suit up, power up, and join the fray. I make it a Piloting/Shooting/Driving/Fighting check (whichever is most applicable, usually their highest). On a fail, it takes 3 rounds to start/equip it. On a success, 2 rounds. On a raise, 1 round. On a double raise, I've let them act with a MAP in the same round. On a critical fail, something bad happens, usually a Technical Difficulty.

That is an absolutely valid concern, of not over complicating the game with useless stuff. On the other hand, there isn't much use in differentiating gear, if it all acts the same anyway. There should be benefits and cons to different manufacturers/designs, and it breathes life into the world.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#14 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Severite wrote:That is an absolutely valid concern, of not over complicating the game with useless stuff. On the other hand, there isn't much use in differentiating gear, if it all acts the same anyway. There should be benefits and cons to different manufacturers/designs, and it breathes life into the world.

It's a trade off, but the goal is maximum fun.
For some groups, having those extra world details, that differentiate between the various manufacturers, is more fun.
For other groups, having a unified rule, so they know what is going to happen, is more fun.
Finding the right balance point for each group is a bespoke solution.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”