Cyborg worn Armor from Original Rifts

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
kurseteller
Novice
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:31 am

Cyborg worn Armor from Original Rifts

#1 Postby kurseteller » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:33 pm

I've been searching through the books, but can't seem to find them. In the OSM, They where really heavy armor suits only useable by Borgs. They came in Light, medium, and Heavy. How would they work with the current SW Rifts Borg rules? A current rulebook/page number would be nice, but if the Armor didn't make to SW, then a "what would you do?" is also acceptable.

Freemage
Veteran
Posts: 946
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: Cyborg worn Armor from Original Rifts

#2 Postby Freemage » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:57 pm


kurseteller
Novice
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:31 am

Re: Cyborg worn Armor from Original Rifts

#3 Postby kurseteller » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:06 pm

Freemage wrote:http://www.pegforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=51976


So treated them like Robot Armor instead of Combat armor?

Mad Paladin
Novice
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Cyborg worn Armor from Original Rifts

#4 Postby Mad Paladin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:18 pm

No, that's a different concept. The armor you're talking about is the extra plating that was hook on, right? Since armor doesn't ablate in SR, like it did in OR, it's not really that necessary. In fact, given rules for armor stacking, would having additional armor even have an effect in SR?

Severite
Novice
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:11 pm

Re: Cyborg worn Armor from Original Rifts

#5 Postby Severite » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:09 am

Mad Paladin wrote:No, that's a different concept. The armor you're talking about is the extra plating that was hook on, right? Since armor doesn't ablate in SR, like it did in OR, it's not really that necessary. In fact, given rules for armor stacking, would having additional armor even have an effect in SR?


If you specifically ruled that it did, then of course it would =P

There are a few other places where worn armor stacked with some other specific armor ability. I would limit how much armor it added, but it is reasonable that thicker armor at the loss of some mobility would increase your armor over what you came into the game with.

User avatar
Hendell
Seasoned
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:01 am

Re: Cyborg worn Armor from Original Rifts

#6 Postby Hendell » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:00 am

The rules for applying additional 'light medium or heavy' armor to a combat cyborg exist in the Tomorrow Legion Players Guide on pages 100 for 'Armor Plating' and 101 for 'Reinforced Frame'.

These represent the classic gold, blue, and red borg from the Rifts Main book or RUE with 1, 2, and 3 point options in each selection respectively.

If you need more than +20 MDC armor and +10 toughness for your 'heavy' borg you are probably fighting to many spider skull walkers.
Hero of The Megaverse #1759
Star Citizen #19667

ValhallaGH
Legendary
Posts: 8293
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 pm

Re: Cyborg worn Armor from Original Rifts

#7 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:08 am

Hendell wrote:If you need more than +20 MDC armor and +10 toughness for your 'heavy' borg you are probably fighting to many spider skull walkers.

It's only +16 Armor and +7 Toughness. Plus unlimited Vigor increases (which enhance Soak rolls and Toughness scores).

But yeah, additional armor plating for Combat Cyborgs is available from cybernetics. Specifically cybernetic Armor Plating and a cybernetic Reinforced Frame. A base Combat Cyborg has Toughness 20 (8) M.D.C.; a fully armored Combat Cyborg has Toughness 32 (16) M.D.C., making the character as tough as some Robot Armors.
Combined with the Edges Brawny, Tough As Nails, and Improved Tough As Nails, a Combat Cyborg can have starting-character Vigor and a Toughness of 35 (16).
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

kurseteller
Novice
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:31 am

Re: Cyborg worn Armor from Original Rifts

#8 Postby kurseteller » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:14 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:
Hendell wrote:If you need more than +20 MDC armor and +10 toughness for your 'heavy' borg you are probably fighting to many spider skull walkers.

It's only +16 Armor and +7 Toughness. Plus unlimited Vigor increases (which enhance Soak rolls and Toughness scores).

But yeah, additional armor plating for Combat Cyborgs is available from cybernetics. Specifically cybernetic Armor Plating and a cybernetic Reinforced Frame. A base Combat Cyborg has Toughness 20 (8) M.D.C.; a fully armored Combat Cyborg has Toughness 32 (16) M.D.C., making the character as tough as some Robot Armors.
Combined with the Edges Brawny, Tough As Nails, and Improved Tough As Nails, a Combat Cyborg can have starting-character Vigor and a Toughness of 35 (16).


There are a number of NPC Borgs from OS that had extra armor that limited Mobility, but added MDC(OS). Light Espionage Armor, from OS, added 135 MDC, but had no penalties. Light Combat Armor added 270 MDC, but had -15% from prowl/sneak. Heavy Borg Combat( only wearable by Full Conversion) armor added 420 MDC, but had -20% prowl penalty and -2 to strike, parry, dodge. The Borg actually had this armor because, fluff wise, repairing your own Bionic Torso armor was more expensive that just adding extra armor on top.

ValhallaGH
Legendary
Posts: 8293
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 pm

Re: Cyborg worn Armor from Original Rifts

#9 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm going to guess that OS is supposed to be PR, a common shorthand for Palladium Rifts. Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Remember, while the fluff text is mostly the same, the game mechanics are wildly divergent. Savage Worlds armor isn't ablated (usually), and there's not a formula that states that repairing X amount of Armor costs Y Credits. Further, a Combat Cyborg's Armor and Toughness "does not stack with worn armor," and can only be increased by cybernetics, Edges, and changes to Vigor. Combat Cyborgs also have no innate Stealth ability, and most of them suffer a -2 to most Stealth checks (see Loss of Dexterity); there's an argument that their systems would activate some kind of 'stealth mode' for combat-Stealth checks, but those are at the game master's discretion and probably only applies during the Last Step or in the middle of a fire fight.

If you want to change that, and you're the GM, then you can. But that's how things stand before any house rules. And they work really well, based upon my play experiences.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."


Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest