[SR] Mass Battles

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Kaandorian
Novice

Re: [SR] Mass Battles

#21 Postby Kaandorian » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:13 pm

Shouldn't the demons roll d4-2?

Brickulos
Veteran

#22 Postby Brickulos » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:17 pm

Kaandorian wrote:Shouldn't the demons roll d4-2?

They'd get a group roll, so d4 d6 -2, I believe.

Kaandorian
Novice

#23 Postby Kaandorian » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:50 pm

Brickulos wrote:
Kaandorian wrote:Shouldn't the demons roll d4-2?

They'd get a group roll, so d4 d6 -2, I believe.

That's what I meant.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#24 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:47 pm

Having an Untrained commander is different from not having a commander. It sounds like this is a case of the second, but I may have misunderstood.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Freemage
Veteran

#25 Postby Freemage » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:25 pm

The difference would be if the demons are acting in a co-operative fashion, or if they're just running wild, and maybe even squabbling over 'pickings'. In the former case, even if there's no absolute commander, they can bicker among themselves to work out a course of action: d4/d6 -2 for "group action, unskilled". If they're just a disconnected mob running roughshod, then they either don't get a roll at all, or could get a roll at d4-2 (no group action Wild Die) just to allow for the possibility that a swarm will dogpile in one location by sheer chance. (Really, they're just setting the difficulty for the PC's "Clean Up Operation".)

Another option would be to ditch the Mass Battle route entirely at this point. Instead, "Mopping up the demons" becomes a Dramatic Skill Test, with the lead using Knowledge (Battle) and other PCs using skills that seem appropriate--one might use Tracking to hunt down lurkers, while another uses Shooting to take out annoying targets and so on--to give the usual success-and-raise cooperative bonuses. The modifier for the Skill Challenge is derived from looking at the numbers and the conditions; I'd put it at -4. Over the five rounds, the PCs are trying to accumulate 5 successes for a total victory. Here's my breakdown for successes:

0 Successes: Town is razed, populace is slaughtered, or even taken back to Hell (the demons don't actually get wiped out, here, instead, they left after having their 'fun').
1 Success: Town is razed, but 20% of the population has survived as refugees the PCs can usher back to Castle Refuge
2 Successes: Town is in shambles, 40% of the population has survived; PCs can either try to help rebuild or urge the townsfolk to accept refugee status.
3 Successes: Some key buildings have survived, along with 60% of the population. Rebuilding is doable, though there will be difficulties and the party could offer some much-needed assistance.
4 Successes: Some buildings have been destroyed, and there's a lot functional damage within the building. Maybe 20% of the population was killed before the demons were driven off.
5 Successes: Only a handful deaths (though many injured); similarly, only buildings that are relatively easily replaced were destroyed, though there's a lot of superficial damage. The horde is completely wiped out.

If any player rolled a Critical Failure during the course of the challenge, note it down--this means that, unless the PCs get a total victory, some of the demons also managed to escape into the surrounding countryside, where they can continue to be used as a source of trouble and potential conflict, especially if they can find a suitable new master.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”