Rifts Robot PC

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Lighthouse
Seasoned

Rifts Robot PC

#1 Postby Lighthouse » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:06 pm

I wanted to build a robot character but not a pacifist. I also wanted upgrades like cyberware. I was thinking of just using the cyberware rules an reskinning them. Not sure hwat OCC to take but probably MARS. What do you think?

Brickulos
Veteran

Re: Rifts Robot PC

#2 Postby Brickulos » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:15 pm

Lighthouse wrote:I wanted to build a robot character but not a pacifist. I also wanted upgrades like cyberware. I was thinking of just using the cyberware rules an reskinning them. Not sure hwat OCC to take but probably MARS. What do you think?

I can't give much advice about what class you should take. What do you want to be able to do?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#3 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:18 pm

So, you want a custom D-Bee robot race?

That's pretty straightforward.
Benefits:
Construct (+8)
Drawbacks:
Dependency (power) - requires battery charging every day. Any nuclear engine, or electric engine charging point, would work fine. (-2)
Distinctive D-Bee - obviously mechanical, and distrusted by Coalition personnel, though could be disguised as a human. (-1)
Environmental Weakness (electricity). (-1)
Outsider - often treated as property. (-1)
Restricted Path (psionics). (-1)

That's a +2 race of robots. Further advantages need to be bought off with equivalent drawbacks. This version is allowed to take any non-psionic Arcane Background, because robot wizards are awesome, but restricting magical paths would free up room for another racial advantage.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#4 Postby Sitting Duck » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:48 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:Restricted Path (psionics). (-1)

I would go with the -2 variant, since robots shouldn't be able to use magic either.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Lighthouse
Seasoned

#5 Postby Lighthouse » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Nice. I like the robot race but what about upgrades? Do you think a reskin of cyberware would work? Your strain could just indicate the number of upgrade slots you have. A robot wizard is interesting. Or miracles. A priest of the robot god.

Novac
Novice

#6 Postby Novac » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:22 pm

• Construct (+8): Artificial beings add +2 to recover from being Shaken, don’t breathe, ignore one level of wound modifiers, and are immune to poison and disease. Constructs cannot heal naturally. To heal one requires the Repair skill—which is used like the Healing skill only with no “Golden Hour.”

• Mods (+1): Constructs may not use cyberware, but they may purchase Modifications from the Robot Modifications Table (page 38). Like all robots, they have 5 Mod slots. (The Geared Up Edge, page 12, might help you afford these upgrades.) GMs should not normally allow characters to take Increase Size beyond +3 or the hero will no longer fit into most adventures. Constructs may remove or install a Mod with a Repair roll and 1d3 hours (half that with a raise). A critical failure means the Mod is destroyed and must be replaced.

• Outsider Hindrance (Major, –2): Organic species often treat constructs as property rather than sentient beings. They have no rights in many systems, and suffer –2 Charisma when dealing with beings who know their artificial nature (and aren’t constructs themselves).

• Vow Hindrance (Major, –2): Constructs are programmed with a particular purpose. Player character constructs have broad directives such as serving a particular corporation or political faction. This counts as a Major Vow to that particular directive which must be followed. If this ever causes a conflict of interest, the player and GM must figure out what the construct’s programming requires.

• Environmental Weakness (Electricity -1): The race suffers a –4 penalty to resist a particular environmental effect, such as heat, cold, etc. If the being suffers an attack based on that form, the penalty acts as a bonus to damage.

• Restricted Path (-2): For reasons of biology or spiritual makeup, the species is unable to pursue certain paths open to others. Each time this is chosen, the race either cannot access PPE or ISP. The selection means the race cannot take any Arcane Background which uses that type of Power Points or an Iconic Framework which includes such an Arcane Background. Races that start with an Arcane Background automatically cannot choose another, and this does not count as a Negative Racial Ability.

Freemage
Veteran

#7 Postby Freemage » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:59 pm

Lighthouse wrote:I wanted to build a robot character but not a pacifist. I also wanted upgrades like cyberware. I was thinking of just using the cyberware rules an reskinning them. Not sure hwat OCC to take but probably MARS. What do you think?

The baseline Robot from the SFC doesn't actually mandate Pacifist (it makes it a reference point for Asimov Circuits, but it's not a required part of the racial build). They are required to take the Major Vow Hindrance to account for their programming, but I'd be willing to allow a PC to swap that for Wanted (Major) or Enemy (Major), depending on who the original owner was, if the concept is that they've found a way around that programming.

(If they are a rogue governmental bot, then it's Wanted; if they were owned by a corporation or individual, then it's Enemy.)

As for cybernetic upgrades, look at the function of the cyberware you want, then look at the Robot Modifications list on Page 38 of the SFC. If there's no decent match, then talk to the GM about a custom Mod.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#8 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:19 pm

Lighthouse wrote:Nice. I like the robot race but what about upgrades? Do you think a reskin of cyberware would work? Your strain could just indicate the number of upgrade slots you have.

In game mechanics, nothing stops them from getting Cybernetics. :lol: They can even be Juicers (yes, a robot Juicer :o ).
And yeah, the cybernetics could be re-labelled as hardware upgrades, and Strain is probably upgrade limits.

Lighthouse wrote:A robot wizard is interesting. Or miracles. A priest of the robot god.

Or magical scientist, or mutant. Yeah, they're all cool ideas, and one of the reasons I didn't default to two Restricted Path drawbacks. If you want magical robots, use this version. If you want psychic robots, change the restriction to magic. If you want robots that can't use any powers then use both restrictions, but you'll have to give it some kind of benefit to make up for that - either remove one of the -1 abilities or give it a new +1 ability.

Hendell
Seasoned

#9 Postby Hendell » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:41 pm

There is actually precedent for robot juicers in Rifter #4 also robots disguised intentionally as cyborgs. There are also several instances of Psionic robots, far more than magical ones, so whichever combination of arcane background prohibitions you want works perfectly well.

There is no reason to use anything more complex than the custom race chart from the rifts material to make any number of sub categories of robot race choice. There are a few more details in the SFC but none of them are necessary and there are some conversion problems in a few of the power level exchange rates that are slightly suspicious.
Hero of The Megaverse #1759
Star Citizen #19667

Novac
Novice

#10 Postby Novac » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:43 pm

Technically, it was robots disguised as juicers to cover for their super human strength and speed. Its not like the robots were actually ON the juice..

Lighthouse
Seasoned

#11 Postby Lighthouse » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:52 pm

My idea is to play a Johnny 5 Skelebot prototype. Can they wear armor? Would it have to be modified?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#12 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:56 pm

Yeah, you could be a skelebot with the robot race I proposed. Just add the cybernetics Armor Plating I, Bionic Strength I, Weapon Mount (Vibro-Sword), and Environmental Sensors - the normal Skelebots have better sensors than this system, but it's close enough.

You could make some of that innate by adding Restricted Path (magic) and Hindrance (Ugly) to the race.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”