New Race: Experiment 626

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Severite
Novice

Re: New Race: Experiment 626

#21 Postby Severite » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:56 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:Dealing Mega Damage is certainly worth a +1 racial ability (if not more). It is worth it precisely because it allows the character to hurt potentially anything, and in Savage Worlds if you're allowed to try then you can succeed spectacularly.
That's an important lesson for every Savage GM to remember. Otherwise you'll allow a roll, have it succeed wildly despite the odds, and then have to negate the result. Which leaves you looking like an ass, generally leaves the players in a foul mood, and reduces the fun of everyone.

I am inclined to down cost the ability to do MD. Sure, it allows the possibility to do mega damage. So does a vibro knife that pretty much every IF receives for free at start, and are frankly endlessly available in setting. The vagabond with a vibro knife "could" kill the glitter boy wearing pilot, but in the same token, is incredibly remote.

Why would you take back a roll? If it is some sort of cthulhu monster that is immune to harm, then there is no roll. If you are allowing the attack to happen, and are not telling them "Your attack connects/doesn't connect, and has no effect", then it can kill/destroy the target, regardless of how remote it is. Hmm.

I guess I should ask, with the absolutely abundant availability of MD melee weapons and abilities, why would you cost the ability at +1 - more range, instead of where I would cost it at +0-1 range. I would not cost it more, and could entertain ideas of it being a 1/2 cost ability. It should probably have a cost, if for no other reason then "my custom dbee has MD abilities, cause, like, why wouldn't you, it's free!"

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: New Race: Experiment 626

#22 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:00 pm

Severite wrote:Why would you take back a roll? If it is some sort of cthulhu monster that is immune to harm, then there is no roll. If you are allowing the attack to happen, and are not telling them "Your attack connects/doesn't connect, and has no effect", then it can kill/destroy the target, regardless of how remote it is. Hmm.

Me? I don't.
Hypothetically, because you allowed a player to roll for something you not only weren't prepared for success on, but didn't want them to succeed on (and aren't willing to let them). It happens. I've played in a few games where it happened. It's the result of mistakenly allowing rolls where success or failure is not supposed to happen.

Severite wrote:I guess I should ask, with the absolutely abundant availability of MD melee weapons and abilities, why would you cost the ability at +1 - more range

Because of SFC guidelines on allowing SPC abilities in a custom race.
The SPC cost of "your melee attack does Mega Damage" is +1 power point. (Aside: having Heavy Armor is +4 power points.) But getting to use SPC abilities as part of their race is a +2 racial ability.

Rifts Earth is a high power setting, completely agree. And while vibro weapons are all Mega Damage, personal ranged weapons are not. That's not because Mega Damage is so darn common; it's a subtle power up for melee combat characters that allows them to be a threat in just about every conflict, and the players have fun doing just that. The guideline for dealing Mega Damage is that "it can kill a tank", just like the guideline for M.D.C. is "it's as tough as a tank". If the claws aren't like a T-Rex jaw then it probably isn't Mega Damage. Str+d8, AP 2 is a +3 racial ability, and will tear apart most characters in Rifts Earth body armor.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”