[SR] Boom Gun - how many mods?

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

operations
Seasoned

[SR] Boom Gun - how many mods?

#1 Postby operations » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:02 pm

Assuming it gets destroyed, how many Mod slots does the boom gun count as for swapping in a different vehicle sized weapon?
~~KT~~

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: [SR] Boom Gun - how many mods?

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:27 pm

Unknown. Probably Mod 4 since it's hand held, not integrated into the Size 3 power armor.
Also, why would you? The Boom Gun is literally the best heavy gun in the game. Get another Boom Gun.
Picking up a personal weapon is a good idea (L-20 Pulse Laser Rifle, mini rail gun, or similar) but replacing the Boom Gun is (generally) a really foolish idea.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

operations
Seasoned

#3 Postby operations » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:05 pm

If it's destroyed, there is no guarantee you can just get another boom gun. Not like they hand those out everywhere.

Eventually, you'd fine one (pointed out in the IF itself) but in the meantime I can't see the BG pilot wanting to chase everything down and tear in half with it's 'bare hands' to contribute.
~~KT~~

Mad Paladin
Novice

#4 Postby Mad Paladin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:19 pm

Question could also apply to putting a boom gun on something else. IIRC, there were occasions when a GB was salvaged but the boom gun wasn't, and the reverse.

Spamotron
Novice

#5 Postby Spamotron » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:27 pm

Another reason a GM might want to know this is if they're adapting the Glitter Boy Legions of Free Quebec. In that World Book it was revealed that the shoulder mount for the Boom Gun was designed to be modular and easy to swap with other weapons for missions where the BG's overkill and collateral damage potential made it a liability. The Great Cataclysm happened before the U.S. Military could turn those weapon options into reality. But the Free Quebec designed their own to take advantage of the mount. IIRC a conventional rail gun, a laser cannon, and a missile launcher.

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#6 Postby Phasma Felis » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:52 am

operations wrote:Assuming it gets destroyed, how many Mod slots does the boom gun count as for swapping in a different vehicle sized weapon?

Eyeballing it I'd say 3--a Glitter Boy would look pretty ungainly with a Titan's medium railgun balanced on its shoulder--but Valhalla makes a good point about it being more like a two-handed handheld weapon, which would mean 4 (Size+1). You could go either way. My first instinct was to say "all of them", but the boom gun really is extremely compact for its power; I don't think the GB could effectively lug a heavy railgun or a pair of heavy missiles.

As a fluff thing, I can imagine having to re-tune the recoil compensators to use a medium railgun; it wouldn't knock you on your ass like the boom gun, but it's still a really huge cannon and would have some nasty recoil. That's totally fluff speculation, though.
ValhallaGH wrote:Unknown. Probably Mod 4 since it's hand held, not integrated into the Size 3 power armor.
Also, why would you? The Boom Gun is literally the best heavy gun in the game. Get another Boom Gun.
Picking up a personal weapon is a good idea (L-20 Pulse Laser Rifle, mini rail gun, or similar) but replacing the Boom Gun is (generally) a really foolish idea.

This isn't something I ever imagined having to say, but Boom Guns are kind of hard to find.

Hendell
Seasoned

#7 Postby Hendell » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:47 am

The boom gun itself is fairly small as vehicle weapons go, it only weighs 867 lbs which is little more than double the usual weight of a giant sized pistol or a cyborg sized rail gun with ammo.

The additional gear for suppression, ammo feed, and attachment to the ground are also fairly heavy but the whole GB weights in only at 2400lbs compared to Ultimax at 5,000 or the Titan robot at 44,000 lbs there really aren't any modern Rifts vehicle weapons you can substitute out on the GB it really is just to small.

Going the other direction is difficult as well as the Boom Gun has trouble being mounted to anything large enough to simply absorb the recoil with mass and modern systems can not manage the accuracy of timing required for the recoil suppression system to operate correctly.

This is likely why the GB and boom gun are only ever listed together, and within the Iconic Framework they go with. These are not parts to be matched as needed, it is one package deal. Even fixing long term damage to the thing should be very hard.
Hero of The Megaverse #1759
Star Citizen #19667

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#8 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:15 am

For those of you talking about how hard it is to replace:
Many Have Fallen: Numerous Glitter Boys fell to defend the world, leaving plentiful salvageable parts. Serious repairs cost 250,000 credits and Severe ones 500,000 (see page 122).

You're not going to find an intact Boom Gun lying around, ready to pick up and shoot. But you can find enough Boom Gun parts that you should be able to cobble together a replacement weapon.
Otherwise, the GM needs to let you change frameworks, probably to a M.A.R.S. Power Armor soldier.

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#9 Postby Phasma Felis » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:12 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:For those of you talking about how hard it is to replace:
Many Have Fallen: Numerous Glitter Boys fell to defend the world, leaving plentiful salvageable parts. Serious repairs cost 250,000 credits and Severe ones 500,000 (see page 122).

You're not going to find an intact Boom Gun lying around, ready to pick up and shoot. But you can find enough Boom Gun parts that you should be able to cobble together a replacement weapon.
Otherwise, the GM needs to let you change frameworks, probably to a M.A.R.S. Power Armor soldier.

No one ever said that the boom gun was impossible to replace. We're objecting to your assertion that it's foolish to even consider needing a temporary stopgap. You were kinda condescending about it.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#10 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Sorry about that. My bad.
I initially misread the first post, missing the destroyed part. I wrote most of that before I saw the word "destroyed" and was too lazy to change it.

Also, what I said is true (best gun; personal weapon is good idea; replacing the boom gun with anything is generally a foolish idea). Badly presented, I grant (a perennial problem; I need to make better progress on that), but true.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”