[SR] Need Help: Need Gargoyles

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Bald Evil
Novice

[SR] Need Help: Need Gargoyles

#1 Postby Bald Evil » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:07 am

Hi all,

I've got a Savage Rifts game tonight, and I want to include some gargoyles as a special guest threat to the party. There is only one gargoyle listed in the rules, a Wild Card gargoyle. I need some minion gargoyles as well. Does anyone have stats for lesser (or greater) gargoyles for Savage Rifts? Or should I just use the one from the book and make the minions have one Wound?

Lighthouse
Seasoned

Re: [SR] Need Help: Need Gargoyles

#2 Postby Lighthouse » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:47 am

That entirely depends on how squishy your group is. Gargoyles can also be mages so feel free to add powers as well. I would say that if you are dealing with heavy hitters like cyborgs and dragon hatchlings go ahead and buff them up. If you party is mostly mages/psionics they can still surprise you but you might want to just use the same stats and make them mooks. Tactics are the key. Smoke grenades are great for taking away line of sight especially if the enemy has infravision. Taking cover is a must. mobility really helps. Powers like burrow can surprise the PCs. Hope that helps.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#3 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:02 am

Those are the only Gargoyle stats we have.
As special guest villains, you probably shouldn't have more than 5 in a scene (too many and they become the main villain by default), and for Wild Card villains probably not more than (2 + 1 per 3 heroes) unless the party is especially powerful (robot armors, dragons, and things that can fight them one on one).

If the Gargoyles are the actual threat in the adventure then you'll need a lot more of them. Taking the existing stats to create Gargoyle Extras is fine (the Extra / Wild Card divide does an incredible job of making one group Lesser versions). Note that weapon choice and availability in the group of gargoyles does a lot to shape the threat level of the encounter.
If you want a Greater Gargoyle, add the casting abilities from a Greater Demon and give it some really kick-ass weapons.

Good luck!
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Bald Evil
Novice

#4 Postby Bald Evil » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:11 am

Thanks, that's enough to go on. I'll just use the existing stats and reduce the Toughness and Wounds for the extras, and leave the one big gargoyle the same. I've got a party of three (LLW, CK, and PA Jock), and they defeated a Slaver and his backup dancers last time, so 3-4 gargoyles shouldn't prove too much, especially since they've got some NPC help this time. If they take them out too fast, there will be an open rift nearby to keep things interesting. :)

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#5 Postby Sitting Duck » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:59 pm

There are some mods posted on Savagepedia for the Gargoyle variants.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”