Modifying the Run Die?

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Bookwyrmm
Novice

Modifying the Run Die?

#1 Postby Bookwyrmm » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:36 pm

We've noted in our group (and we're pretty new to SW in general, but are enjoying the heck out of the system!) that the run die doesn't seem to make sense when you have a pace that is substantially higher. Our party has paces anywhere between 6 (the ley line walker) and 12 (the Cyber-Knight). Yet both get the paltry d6 for running.

Would it be catastrophically bad for a character's run die to be equal to their pace? I.e. pace 6 = d6, pace 10 = d10, etc? Would this create a problem that I'm not foreseeing?

Brickulos
Veteran

Re: Modifying the Run Die?

#2 Postby Brickulos » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Cyber-Knights start with a d10 run die. It's under first into battle.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#3 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:06 pm

Most abilities that change Pace also change the Running die. This may be easy to overlook, since it's usually written as words instead of numbers, but it's there.
This includes First Into Battle, cybernetic legs, Fleet Footed, Obese, Lame, One-Legged, Juicer Super Speed, and even the Quick Flex Fast ability.

The downside to your proposal is that some of those abilities increase Running Die to a larger type than Pace, so your proposal would make those abilities weaker. It also makes some abilities (like the Pace loss from Elderly) worse.
I suspect that if you use the existing Running Die changes, you'll be happy with things as written.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Freemage
Veteran

#4 Postby Freemage » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:51 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:Most abilities that change Pace also change the Running die. This may be easy to overlook, since it's usually written as words instead of numbers, but it's there.
This includes First Into Battle, cybernetic legs, Fleet Footed, Obese, Lame, One-Legged, Juicer Super Speed, and even the Quick Flex Fast ability.

The downside to your proposal is that some of those abilities increase Running Die to a larger type than Pace, so your proposal would make those abilities weaker. It also makes some abilities (like the Pace loss from Elderly) worse.
I suspect that if you use the existing Running Die changes, you'll be happy with things as written.

Interestingly, the one exception I've found to the general rule about increasing the Run Die with Pace is the Crazy, whose Enhanced Pace doubles their base Pace, but makes no change to their Run Die.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#5 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:10 pm

The speed power has the same effect, double Pace but no change to running (except on a Raise, but that doesn't change the Die). The fly power ignores running entirely.
In the other direction, Elderly is the only thing I can think of that reduces Pace (-1) but doesn't change the Running Die.

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#6 Postby Phasma Felis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:54 pm

One way to think of it is that fast characters are already running, they're just better at doing other stuff at the same time. It's only when they go flat-out for that last little push of speed that they take penalties.

The Ineffible GM
Novice

#7 Postby The Ineffible GM » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:49 am

Quick side question on the topic of running and run dice, what if you are flying?
the Lyn Sryal get a huge boost to pace while flying, but do you even get a run die if you are not 'running' per se?
I ruled for now it's their normal run die, but like the crazy above that means it's a D6 run die on a flight speed of 12.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#8 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Officially, you can't run while flying. Which makes a kind of sense - the Fly Pace is faster than a maximum running result.

If you do allow them to run then their usual running die would be appropriate (d6 normally, d10 with Fleet-Footed).

Snate56
Legendary

#9 Postby Snate56 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:45 pm

I would think running for Flying would be diving or swooping.

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#10 Postby Phasma Felis » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:24 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:Officially, you can't run while flying. Which makes a kind of sense - the Fly Pace is faster than a maximum running result.

That really should be stated explicitly in the rules. In the core book, the Movement/Running section says nothing about non-ground movement either way, and of the two Bestiary critters with the Flight ability (the Dragon and Air Elemental), the latter specifically mentions that it *can't* run in the air, implying that the opposite is the default.

It's not a bad rule, but it's not at all intuitive in the rules as written.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”