Vampires and Other Iconic Rifts Monsters

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Wolverine-X
Novice

Vampires and Other Iconic Rifts Monsters

#1 Postby Wolverine-X » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:11 am

I'm new to the Rifts setting, so I'm still wrapping my head around the various monstrous threats of Rifts Earth. I've talked with a few friends regarding the setting and general threats of the world (in a narrative sense, not mechanically)...so I have the sense that the monstrous threats are pretty imposing. That being said I was told that vampires and gargoyles are significant threats in the world.

Given that backdrop, after looking over the stats for both vampires and gargoyles I was curious as to whether those monsters do mega damage or standard damage. Their stats don't indicate that they do standard damage, but thinking back on the narrative context I was given about these monsters I figured they would be a bigger threat (granted they are still pretty bad). My thoughts are motivated by my current party makeup, which has a Glitterboy and Burster who currently sport MDC armor. If I've read the stats for both of these monsters correctly if the gargoyle has access to his weapons he could potentially pose a threat to the GB and B, but otherwise has no way of harming either. And the wild vampire doesn't have anyway of harming either since none of its abilities do mega damage.

Does this track with the way these creatures function in Rifts? Or should the gargoyles and wild vampires strength do mega damage?

Curious to learn more about these monsters and others, because I think this setting is phenomenal and its implementation in Savage Worlds is the best RPG experience I've had in a LONG time.

Thanks!

Brickulos
Veteran

Re: Vampires and Other Iconic Rifts Monsters

#2 Postby Brickulos » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:13 am

Wolverine-X wrote:I'm new to the Rifts setting, so I'm still wrapping my head around the various monstrous threats of Rifts Earth. I've talked with a few friends regarding the setting and general threats of the world (in a narrative sense, not mechanically)...so I have the sense that the monstrous threats are pretty imposing. That being said I was told that vampires and gargoyles are significant threats in the world.

Given that backdrop, after looking over the stats for both vampires and gargoyles I was curious as to whether those monsters do mega damage or standard damage. Their stats don't indicate that they do standard damage, but thinking back on the narrative context I was given about these monsters I figured they would be a bigger threat (granted they are still pretty bad). My thoughts are motivated by my current party makeup, which has a Glitterboy and Burster who currently sport MDC armor. If I've read the stats for both of these monsters correctly if the gargoyle has access to his weapons he could potentially pose a threat to the GB and B, but otherwise has no way of harming either. And the wild vampire doesn't have anyway of harming either since none of its abilities do mega damage.

Does this track with the way these creatures function in Rifts? Or should the gargoyles and wild vampires strength do mega damage?

Curious to learn more about these monsters and others, because I think this setting is phenomenal and its implementation in Savage Worlds is the best RPG experience I've had in a LONG time.

Thanks!

My understanding is that Wild Vampires are the least dangerous of Vampires in general as they are too dumb to use many of their abilities effectively.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#3 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:35 am

Welcome to the forums!

Unless something is explicitly noted as being Mega damage, it is normal damage. Of course, all Mega damage does is allow the thing to hurt M.D.C. Armor targets.

Wild vamps are the least threatening kind of vampire, and they can still slaughter an entire Coalition infantry platoon if the troops are unprepared for vamps. Their puppet abilities are actually terrifying; just have half of the vamps try and mind control the Glitter Boy, and then make him shoot "that snake on the ground next to your friends". Also, Fear checks can remove any single character with a few dice rolls.
Gargoyles are tough and hard-hitting, but still operate on the normal damage scales. Fear helps them be mean. They're all Wild Cards by default (which is terrifying), and they're big enough to use some very powerful weapons (Medium Missile Launcher rolled at -1 for Strength).
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#4 Postby Sitting Duck » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:05 pm

Some hack posted gargoyle and vampire variant modifications on Savagepedia.

https://savagepedia.wikispaces.com/Rifts+Monsters
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Wolverine-X
Novice

#5 Postby Wolverine-X » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback. It makes sense that the wild vampires aren't as powerful as the secondary and other more powerful vampires. And it didn't dawn on me that the gargoyle is a wildcard...I totally overlooked the skull icon before the title.

It's all making more sense!

Hendell
Seasoned

#6 Postby Hendell » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:31 am

When in doubt, even wild vampires have thumbs and can make use of something as simple as a vibro knife, even if they only have the one between them and use it more like a can opener than a weapon the job will still get done. Any vampire greater than the wild ones will have access to almost any type of equipment the PCs have access to, which can easily tip the balance even if there is only one of them in a group of Wilds.

Gargoyles are what I would call directly on the borderline between the new SDC and MDC divide, they are the very lower end of the 'power armor' scale threat from the old system so they could go either way in the new one. Given that they are not only equipment users but have custom weapons and armor made specifically for them as a very common aspect of their society making the Gargoyle alone SDC is probably the better answer, given how easily it can find MDC weapons and or armor.
Hero of The Megaverse #1759
Star Citizen #19667

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”