[SR]-sorta Recommended books for various facets of SW

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Severite
Novice

[SR]-sorta Recommended books for various facets of SW

#1 Postby Severite » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:32 pm

Hello! I would love recommendations on various products, that are well written and interesting. Fantasy, Sci-Fi, pretty much anything that could be mined for interesting/useful rules, for instance, a campaign setting involving sorta kinda hard science fiction, something similar to The Expanse(hmm, I spose a bit specifically space travel). I have a preference for hard copies, but if it is cool enough, PDF's only are ok too. So, what I own already: The horror companion, the fantasy companion, the science fiction companion, the super powers companion 2, evernight, the last parsec, deadlands, and, of course, savage rifts.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: [SR]-sorta Recommended books for various facets of SW

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:01 pm

Nemezis by GRAmel is an interesting Sci-Fi / Horror mash up. The setting had three planets: wilderness planet, high society planet, and cthulhu monster war planet. The rules are dated, given that it precedes the SFC, but the setting is pretty awesome.
Beasts & Barbarians by GRAmel is a great Conan-like Fantasy setting. Lots of cool and interesting stuff.
Agents of Oblivion by Reality Blurs does some great secret agent / spy stuff, with or without supernatural elements. By default it feels very Delta Green, though you can change the tone pretty easily.
Interface Zero by Gun Metal Games is a modern interpretation of the cyber-punk genre. Lots of augmented reality, cybernetics, alternate races, mega corporations, gadgets, guns, and bizarre future predictions. Need both 1.0 and 2.0 for full knowledge (different fluff text in both). Some of the mechanics are weak, especially the "we invented it" stuff that has been done better since. Still cool.

Others, but I'm tired, so enjoy that starter pack.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Akerbakk
Novice

#3 Postby Akerbakk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:10 pm

Hello! Other than the Fantastic settings already mentioned, I'd definitely check out the Thrilling Tales (2e) Supplement for some of it's setting rules. Very pulpy and fun.

Hellfrost adds a ton of spells. Might be worth a look if you are willing to do the legwork for conversions.

You might also be interested in the Day after Ragnarok. It is a gritty, post-apocalyptic, submachine guns and sorcery setting that is set in the late 1940s. The setting obviously has a different feel from Rifts, but I've used some of the ideas and ported them over to Rifts.

kronovan
Heroic

#4 Postby kronovan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:21 pm

Everything mentioned so far is top rate & you really can't go wrong with any of them; albeit having been one of the writers for IZ 2, I'm admittedly biased about it. ;) A few I'll add;

Iron Dynasty: Way of the Ronin - Historical fantasy set in a pseudo feudal Japan with some optional steam punk elements. It's noted as being a good setting to milk martial arts & martial weaponry edges from. It has the best gear section I've seen in any fatasy-themed SW book - 1st or 3rd party. It's also a terrific setting to run a campaign in and has some nice tools like an adventure generator as well as beast and horrors generators. If you or your gamers have ever wanted to RP in a samurai or ninja movie, this is the book.

Realms of Cthulhu - SW take on Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos created by the same publisher of Iron Dynasty & Agents of Oblivion.. It's noted for a good sanity system that plays grittier than the one in the Horror Companion. It has good coverage on how to have different types & severities of Lovecraftian threats in a campaign. Even better in that regard than the excellent gamemastery chapter in the HC. It's also the best looking SW book I own or have had the pleasure to browse; almost worth the cost of a purchase just to look at the attractive layout and nice artwork.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”