[SR] Fennodi and Magic?

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Isawarenshi
Seasoned

[SR] Fennodi and Magic?

#1 Postby Isawarenshi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:06 am

Due to Fennodi getting natural psionics does that mean they would be barred from taking an IF like the Techno-Wizard?

Brickulos
Veteran

Re: [SR] Fennodi and Magic?

#2 Postby Brickulos » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:14 am

Thats's correct. Although because they don't have Restricted Path PPE, they can take the Mystic IF.

Isawarenshi
Seasoned

#3 Postby Isawarenshi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:42 am

Lol thanks, I woke up at 6:30 with world building juices flowing for a personal fantasy/sci-fi world and for game use I think SR works great. I was looking to adapt existing dbee's and they were one but it hit me that would probably be a blocking hurdle on that one conversion idea.

Freemage
Veteran

#4 Postby Freemage » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:58 am

Brickulos wrote:Thats's correct. Although because they don't have Restricted Path PPE, they can take the Mystic IF.

A curious side-effect of the way this all pieces together: D'norr cannot be Mystics, but Simvan can. There's something... odd about that.

blackwingedheaven
Seasoned

#5 Postby blackwingedheaven » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:51 am

Freemage wrote:
Brickulos wrote:Thats's correct. Although because they don't have Restricted Path PPE, they can take the Mystic IF.

A curious side-effect of the way this all pieces together: D'norr cannot be Mystics, but Simvan can. There's something... odd about that.

Not really. D'norr are more scholarly and magic-oriented despite their empathic nature. Simvan have shamanic traditions that combine "spirit magic" and "inner strength."
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire

Freemage
Veteran

#6 Postby Freemage » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:52 am

blackwingedheaven wrote:
Freemage wrote:

Not really. D'norr are more scholarly and magic-oriented despite their empathic nature. Simvan have shamanic traditions that combine "spirit magic" and "inner strength."

Yes, but a "Bloodthirsty Mystic" is going to be damnably tricky to play, no?

Corwin
Novice

#7 Postby Corwin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:24 pm

I have a TK revolver wielding "western gunslinger preacher" fennodi mystic as a backup character to my current dwarf power armor jock. Cuz, having a backup character is a really good idea, this being Rifts and all...

He came out really cool, actually. Is it bad that I'm halfway looking forward to my dwarf biting the dust just so I can start playing the mystic?... ;)

The Ineffible GM
Novice

#8 Postby The Ineffible GM » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:33 pm

Freemage wrote:Yes, but a "Bloodthirsty Mystic" is going to be damnably tricky to play, no?

I think you mean "Interesting" to play.

The Ineffible GM
Novice

#9 Postby The Ineffible GM » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:43 pm

Corwin wrote:I have a TK revolver wielding "western gunslinger preacher" fennodi mystic as a backup character to my current dwarf power armor jock. Cuz, having a backup character is a really good idea, this being Rifts and all...

He came out really cool, actually. Is it bad that I'm halfway looking forward to my dwarf biting the dust just so I can start playing the mystic?... ;)

That is SUCH a Rifts thing to say.

blackwingedheaven
Seasoned

#10 Postby blackwingedheaven » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:08 pm

Freemage wrote:Yes, but a "Bloodthirsty Mystic" is going to be damnably tricky to play, no?

Not really? I mean "My people are wonderful and deserve healing and salvation while all outsiders are non-people who deserve only slaughter" is a common enough sentiment in real-world historical cultures. You can be a spiritual guru and beloved healer while still being totally willing to cut out captured enemies' hearts to appease the sun god. It's not like "alignment" is a thing in this version of the setting, so people can be more nuanced and complicated than the alignment system of old Rifts generally allowed for.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire

SGT Anjay
Seasoned

#11 Postby SGT Anjay » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:49 am

No. Obviously different stuff flies at different tables, no two game groups need be the same. But multiple posts have shown the intent that that's not what the Savage Rifts Mystic is. Sure, war priests are a thing, bloody clerics, and so forth, and a SR Mystic not seeing a moral problem with others who follow that sort of creed isn't a contradiction, but the Mystic itself is not that, hence the behavioral restrictions built in.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”