Random Settings Questions [SPOILERS]

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

An Fhuiseog
Novice

Random Settings Questions [SPOILERS]

#1 Postby An Fhuiseog » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:51 pm

EDIT: Just want to double flag there are spoilers for DL:R, DL:N and HOE:R here, as well as stuff from the comics.

I'm about to move into running Hell on Earth, having finished Deadlands Reloaded and Noir and I was just wondering a few things about the setting, so without further delay:

1. What actually are the Reckoners? I know they were minor spirits before "attaching" themselves to the Christian image of the four horsemen, but were they previously evil gods in some ancient pantheon, possibly different pantheons?

2. I know some Manitou were originally human, but were all? Are some Manitou natives to the Hunting Grounds like the Thunderbirds and the Nature spirits?

3. Does the Cackler relate to the overall metaplot (that is the main story of the Reckoners and their conversion of Earth) in some manner, or is he a sidestory? (A really cool one, I ask because my players loved him)

Thanks for any responses!
Last edited by An Fhuiseog on Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: Random Settings Questions [SPOILERS]

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:20 pm

1. Good question. No official answers. Between the lines, they were very powerful spirits (and ambitious) before they figured out how to draw upon all the fear of being the four horseman. Whether or not they had a role in earlier faiths is debatable, and I suspect they did, but it's ultimately irrelevant. They are powerful god-like beings that exist in the physical universe and posses unfathomable power. They can be destroyed, but it requires a convoluted set up (see Lost Colony for the details) that won't matter in a Hell On Earth camapign.

2. All human? Probably not. Does it really matter? Not really. That some of them were human helps when figuring out how to RP the relationship between a Harrowed and the Manitou.

3. Not in any revealed fashion. His story has been teased for a long time, though only recently revealed. Even so, if it goes as he wants then nothing else will matter; if it fails then he's kind of irrelevant. Mostly likely (this being PEG) it will be a partial success, things will suck (for pretty much everyone), and he'll come back around to be a problem at some point again.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

An Fhuiseog
Novice

#3 Postby An Fhuiseog » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks! :D These were more theoretical questions about the setting for myself (I just read the Raven comic after the Classic + Good Intentions Kickstarter and it got me wondering), as you said they won't really come up in an actual game of Hell of Earth.

I'll probably be back with more, I've gone on a bit of a metaplot reading blitz. :)

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#4 Postby SeeleyOne » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:23 pm

I learned to hate metaplots on principle. The worst offender that taught me that disdain was Vampire the Masquerade. That said, the Daedlands metaplots look fun. As I see it, they are a "this can happen" and a "this is a fun campaign framework" and that is it.
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

To be evil is to live backwards

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#5 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:35 pm

Pretty much, yeah.
Each has certain assumed events, and those get mentioned in subsequent products, but "how this happened" has dozens of conflicting accounts (because PCs did it, and yours might have done it differently than this other group).

An Fhuiseog
Novice

#6 Postby An Fhuiseog » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:55 pm

Another one!

At the end of the Raven comic, I would have naively taken Raven to be reformed (he meets with those who wronged him and seems to let go of the pain), but in "The Worms' Turn", he seems to be actively seeking humanity's destruction.

These seem conflicting to some degree to me, what am I missing?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#7 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:36 pm

At the end of the Raven comic, he dies. That moment of peace is him letting go of his immortal life.
As established in Classic Hell On Earth books, Raven came back Harrowed (prior arrangement), broke free of the rock, slaughtered his way through Deadwood, and turned Dove's bones into a cage dragged behind his ride. Then the bombs fell. He then enacted a plan to kill the Reckoners ... via starvation. Since they feed on fear, Raven was going to get rid of fear by killing everything that can feel fear, leaving the Reckoners nothing to feed on. Which means he's going to kill all humanity as Step Two of his plan to kill the Reckoners.
(Step 1: Build army. Step 2: Wipe out humanity. Step 3: ?. Step 4: Enjoy revenge.)

I may have misunderstood something in the source material, but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on.

An Fhuiseog
Novice

#8 Postby An Fhuiseog » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:14 pm

turned Dove's bones into a cage dragged behind his ride

Wow, cool! I should get more of the classic books.

Thanks for taking the time on this.

I suspected actually died and returned harrowed (mainly from the Reloaded Marshal's book), so its good to have that confirmed.

I guess what I was sort of confused about is what seemed to be a character shift. I just read it as him being over his hate, but upon reading it again I can see it is actually just him letting go of his life (as you said), with really no implications for how he feels about humanity in general.

The Stray
Seasoned

#9 Postby The Stray » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:13 pm

It is entirely possible that, after giving up his life, he became a Manitou thanks to his actions, and then, when he got Harrowed due to his prior arrangement, it's mostly him Harrowing himself. That sort of sudden shock might have severed whatever humanity he had left.

Or Raven's soul is actually just gone, and it's another manitou that's firmly in complete control of the body (maybe a False Raven from his cult). There's lots of possibilities.
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”