Scrapper vs Cyborg

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

StalkThis
Novice

Scrapper vs Cyborg

#1 Postby StalkThis » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:54 am

I know, literally, the difference between the two. But can anyone explain to me why Cyborg gear requires a deader while steam augments can be handled by a living body just fine?

Brickulos
Veteran

Re: Scrapper vs Cyborg

#2 Postby Brickulos » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:13 am

The difference is that a Scrapper has a few augments, which permanently reduces their Vigor IIRC. Whereas Cyborgs have their entire bodies reinforced top to bottom to accept a plethora of mods. A normal human could not accept that many cybernetics without dying.

Cutter XXIII
Legendary

#3 Postby Cutter XXIII » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:55 pm

What's called a "cyborg" in Hell on Earth is what grew out of automaton technology.

Hell on Earth Reloaded Companion, page 30, has three paragraphs covering the setting reasons.
Matthew Cutter
Deadlands Big Bug (Brand Manager)
Pinnacle Entertainment Group, Inc.

StalkThis
Novice

#4 Postby StalkThis » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:21 pm

Yep, read it. Figured steam augments were covered under "fancy power systems that mad and patent sciences cranked out over the past two centuries" and "early attempts to enhance soldiers with cybernetic attachments".

I had inferences, but I guess I was unsure if I was interpreting those paragraphs correctly: Cybernetics run mostly indefinitely, unlike steam augments which run on clockwork cranking or ghost rock. Augments malfunction more often, whereas cybernetics are more reliable.

The third point was that living beings die when packed with enough material to support the enhanced augments. The example given is that a super strong arm is more likely to rip off than lift a car. But that's what the chest brace is for, right? It seems like a dose of reality that flies in the face of the acceptable breaks from reality the steam augments rely on.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or call "gotcha!" I'm just trying to understand the established reasons why living creatures can withstand 10+ strain, but not cyborg parts. I mean, I could understand that once the government figured out that deaders work, they would fill them to the brim, but the transitional period is unclear to me.

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”