Anahuac Religion in Deadlands: Reloaded

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

jabberwoky
Novice

Anahuac Religion in Deadlands: Reloaded

#1 Postby jabberwoky » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:20 am

My group is interested in doing The Flood adventure path in Deadlands: Reloaded, however, one of my players wishes to play as a Meztizo character who draws powers from the older Mesoamerican Gods masquerading as Catholic Saints. I know that there are rules for playing an Anahuac shaman in the earlier version of Deadlands (specifically the Lost Angels book), however if we are playing the Savage Worlds version, should the Anahuac faith be a Blessed-style of magic or a Shaman-version?

Also bonus question: does anybody know what happened to the Anahuacs in The Flood? There was an entire section devoted to them in the Lost Angels book, but barely a mention of them in "The Flood" adventure path.

El Diablo
Seasoned

Re: Anahuac Religion in Deadlands: Reloaded

#2 Postby El Diablo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:42 am

For some reason, there is no meterial presented in the Lost Angels book did not appear in The flood. The flood is mostly inspired from the maze boxed set and tale o'terror 1877. That said, most of the Flood campaign take place outside of Lost angels (only the beginning and the end take plade in Lost Angels) and The Lost Angels book is for a campaign that take place mostly inside Lost Angels.

jabberwoky
Novice

#3 Postby jabberwoky » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Thank you El Diablo, but that doesn't answer my main question. Crunch-wise, should an Anahuac priest function like a Blessed (either the basic or Voodoo version) or a Shaman?

Cutter XXIII
Legendary

#4 Postby Cutter XXIII » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

According to Lost Angels ...
Being an Anahuac priest is a special version of shamanism (see Ghost Dancers for more on shamans). The Anahuac perform rituals to earn Appeasement to be spent on favors. These favors are granted by God (as understood by the Anahuacs), often with the help of patron saints (what shamans call guardian spirits).

I'd go with shaman.
Matthew Cutter
Deadlands Big Bug (Brand Manager)
Pinnacle Entertainment Group, Inc.

jabberwoky
Novice

#5 Postby jabberwoky » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:59 pm

Thank you for the answer, Cutter.

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”