How to brew Coot's Elixir

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

The Stray
Seasoned

How to brew Coot's Elixir

#1 Postby The Stray » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:03 pm

So, my posse has met up with Coot Jenkins, who has fascinated them with his elixir. Several of them are currently asking me how they might help him brew the stuff faster.

I have The Book o' The Dead, but it doesn't really say much about the elixir itself, just hints at the difficulty. As players are an industrious sort, this sounds like a wonderful hook for an adventure, so any thoughts you have on Coot's Elixir would be helpful to figuring out how they could help him...or even if they can, since the Elixir is a relic.

Thoughts?
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray

Sitting Duck
Legendary

Re: How to brew Coot's Elixir

#2 Postby Sitting Duck » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:17 pm

Mistletoe, a pinch of salt, and a lobster for flavor. :lol:
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Bobble
Seasoned

#3 Postby Bobble » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:56 am

Not familiar with the source material but a ghost rock-fueled Rube Goldberg machine where obtaining each of the components is a mini-adventure. Filtered through the Confederate kepi hat of a dead soldier -- preferably one from 1st Bull Run -- you know what, you better grab a couple. Aged in a barrel made from the paddle wheels of a currently active Mississippi steamboat. Agave from both sides of the Rio Grande. Drizzled across a tombstone from Tombstone. Aerated with a device that requires a gold-panning pan from a fresh strike, a rusty railroad boiler, and about 100 authentic Navajo arrowheads. Buzzard beaks would work if'n you can't get the arrowheads. Combs from a well-used cotton gin but for gosh sakes, make sure there's no cotton left on 'em. Weathered telegraph line. Barbed wire that's been stampeded over but the iron/hoof mix has to be just right.

When y'all get that, we'll talk about how to make the bottles...

tin_can_angel
Novice

#4 Postby tin_can_angel » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:07 am

Sucrose, Aqua, Citric Acid, Distilled Caffeine, Ammonium Ferric Citrate, Quinine, Sodium benzoate...gasoline. :mrgreen:

The Stray
Seasoned

#5 Postby The Stray » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Ok...

So there are a lot of silly replies here, ranging from Irn Bru to impossibly detailed soup cans.

This is not helpful.

What I need is:

1) Something that is actually possible for someone who travels as much as Coot does to be able to make on the road.

2) Something that is still difficult enough for Coot to make that he can't produce gallons of it at a time.

3) Something that is reasonable plausible for someone else to make to affect manitou in a zombie brain (since Coot doesn't have any sort of Arcane Background).

Does anyone have some suggestions along those lines?

Clint
Site Admin

#6 Postby Clint » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:29 pm

The Stray wrote:What I need is:

1) Something that is actually possible for someone who travels as much as Coot does to be able to make on the road.

2) Something that is still difficult enough for Coot to make that he can't produce gallons of it at a time.

3) Something that is reasonable plausible for someone else to make to affect manitou in a zombie brain (since Coot doesn't have any sort of Arcane Background).

Does anyone have some suggestions along those lines?

Stone and a Hard Place has a bit more info on him and his elixir, but basically, it's a relic and it takes him one week to make a single dose. Personally, as a relic, I see it as something only Coot can make (in the same way only Wyatt Earp can "make" an Earp's Badge). It's a factor of his very unique status and origin (meeting a person who did a very bad thing and wanted to make amends as they died, pretty much an allegory for a harrowed getting a second chance).

So #3 feels to me would be changing the underlying basis there, which means I really got nothing on it.

As far as #1 & #2, I'd think the easiest and most obvious reasoning is that Coot himself is part of the creation physically. Say for 6 nights at midnight, he has to perform a ritual where he puts some of his own blood into a bottle containing a bit of the elixir he already has (kind of like a miner's sourdough starter). On each following night the blood is gone (to be replaced once more) and there is a little more elixir until on the 7th day, he has enough for one dose.

So easy enough to do each night, but he's limited in what he can make due to it requiring his blood (and him needing it to live as well).
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

The Stray
Seasoned

#7 Postby The Stray » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:48 pm

This is very helpful, thank you. I've already said to the posse that he needs Ghost Rock vapor and some spirits distilled in holy water (which forms the base)...adding in this little bit is useful there. So the posse can help him make more by getting him the base, but can't really get him to make it much faster.

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”