[DLR] rattler-made armor

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Jounichi
Legendary

[DLR] rattler-made armor

#1 Postby Jounichi » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:02 pm

Has anyone tried actually writing up cost and weight for armor made from rattler hide?
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda
"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

jabberwoky
Novice

Re: [DLR] rattler-made armor

#2 Postby jabberwoky » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:04 pm

Technically it's not rattler hide armor, it's rattler hide clothing.

In Savage Worlds terms, clothing is weightless, and depending on the rules interpretation of the DM, may stack with armor. However, I have not seen anything written about it. Perhaps it'll be statted in the upcoming adventure in Salt Lake City?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#3 Postby ValhallaGH » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:08 pm

Rattler hide clothing is already mentioned in a published product.
Specifically, the Marshal's Handbook. See the Rattler entry. It gives Armor +1, costs hundreds of dollars per article (in a setting where characters start with $250 and a good horse is $150), and is only available from a limited selection of merchants (such as Leatherwood Fashions in Stone and a Hard Place). Since the entry makes no mention of weight, I would presume that the weight is unchanged but using the tougher material results is greater protection.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Jounichi
Legendary

#4 Postby Jounichi » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:25 pm

I should have been more specific, and for that, I apologize. It's just the idea of costing hundreds of dollars is fairly nebulous, and I'd rather see a jacket or vest made of the stuff than a shirt. Even just a duster seems like low-hanging fruit, and I question exactly how pricey to make it all considering +1 armor is virtually useless given the ubiquity of firearms with AP.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda

"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#5 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:47 am

Armor is virtually useless against humans (most guns have at least AP 1 and the setting specific Bowie knife does as well). It can be a life saver against critters (very few of which have any AP). Critters are a threat player characters face regularly.

Personally, I save that kind of thing as a quest reward for killing a rattler or maze dragon. Kill it, get the hide to someone that can do the work, pay a fairly nominal fee (about $100), sport dusters, hats, jackets, and chaps that give Armor +1.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”