Stone Eratta

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Erolat
Novice

Stone Eratta

#1 Postby Erolat » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:18 pm

In doing further prep for my game I found the Stone and a Hard Place errata. In there it appears that the Blessed and Voodooist have both been reworked/replaced. I have Deadlands Noir and see the similarities but am unsure if I should be replacing those Edges in my setting as the Deadlands Players PDF has not been updated with this new info.

I think I will but would love to have an official opinion. Or at least the opinion of someone who has run for a bit.

The Stray
Seasoned

Re: Stone Eratta

#2 Postby The Stray » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:37 pm

As I understand it, there's going to be an update to Deadlands sometime in the near future, to update the rules and bring them in line with the changes that have been added to the game over the years. The Arcane Backgrounds in Deadlands are more powerful overall than the ones in Noir, but The Blessed and Voodooists were particularly OP and this toning down does nothing but good.

In my experience, it's hard to convince players to take a nerf like this without complaint, but since I'm running a game set pre-Caclker anyway, we're reached a compromise: The Blessed and Voodoists in my game have to abide by Power Point resitrictions, but get to keep access to all the powers available to them at their rank.
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray

Erolat
Novice

#3 Postby Erolat » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:49 pm

I thought they looked a bit OP but was not sure. I will definitely use the "corrected" options. Lucky for me my game starts Wednesday and that is why I was asking. If I start with "It was broke, here is the fix" the players should not be quite so upset.

(I honestly have no idea how many have picked up what books. Last Wednesday we decided this was what I would run and at least three have ordered the core book. Beyond that is anyone's guess.)

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#4 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:09 am

OP? :o
Blessed and Voodooists are the weakest arcane characters in Deadlands: Reloaded. They're flexible, but unreliable (especially the Blessed since they can frequently have Sin penalties on top of everything else). Example, the miracles of Good are the weakest and worst form of magical healing.
The Stone update makes Blessed relatively powerful, and completely playable, for the first time since 2006.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Jounichi
Legendary

#5 Postby Jounichi » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:18 pm

Blessed were relatively fine with Conviction to negate the penalties with Novice powers. They also didn't have to worry about power points, which freed up more advancements for things like Champion, Flock, Holy Warrior, and all-around making a physically stronger caster who could occasionally cast beneficial miracles.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda
"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”