No Mercy and Red Chips

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Terratina
Novice

No Mercy and Red Chips

#1 Postby Terratina » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:12 pm

Okay, No Mercy states that you can use a Benny to reroll damage. Red Chips give you to the option to add a d6 to a roll. Would you guys say Red Chips (or Blue Chips for that matter) can be used to add a d6 to the damage roll?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: No Mercy and Red Chips

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:52 pm

Asked and answered. No. Note that the answer is from 2013, after No Mercy was in the Core Rules.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Jounichi
Legendary

Re: No Mercy and Red Chips

#3 Postby Jounichi » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:14 pm

He may be referring to the Edge itself, but that's semantic. By default, I would not allow fate chips to be spent on No Mercy simply because, if you follow the explicit wording, you wouldn't be able to spend a white chip to re-roll, but you could spend a red or blue to add +1d6. I do disagree slightly with Clint's take on it being better than a Legend because the Legend adds +1d6+2, but that's a minor quibble.

Personally, I'd house rule No Mercy to allow fate chips of all colors to be spent on damage rolls. I thought about limiting the +1d6 to treating the roll as a raise even if it's not, but then that doesn't reward the player for getting a high dice roll because of dumb luck, good tactics, or whathaveyou. It's also potentially a nerf to tai chi because of the 1d4" knockback for each success and raise on the roll, but that could be remedied with a quick line.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda
"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”