Taxidermist's Salmon

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Erolat
Novice

Taxidermist's Salmon

#1 Postby Erolat » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:40 am

Last week I ran the one-sheet Taxidermist's Tale. The players were not real sure about going to find the "good" taxidermist but finally decided that may be where they can get the rest of their promised money. After defeating all the combat critters, and the taxidermist, one of the players finally took note of the salmon. Being very Curious he decided it would be interesting to keep it to see what all it could do.

I have a few ideas but thought I would ask you savages what powers, and taint, you would give this artifact.

(If it matters two of the six players have a bit of experience with SW, none have experience in DL.)

The Stray
Seasoned

Re: Taxidermist's Salmon

#2 Postby The Stray » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:06 pm

You ever owned a Billy Bass? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WC6EbRQmJ0

That was what I think about every time I see that bit in the Taxidermist story...
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray

Owen.Lean
Novice

#3 Postby Owen.Lean » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:02 am

Hey Erolat,

Really glad you enjoyed the adventure! I love that your posse took the salmon as well. Brilliant. Obviously the salmon didn't have much of a plot related purpose when I wrote it but I think you could definitely use it for a bit of fun.

I love the idea of having it talk - Billy Bass style, perhaps a manitou or (if your feeling nicer) a nature spirit can possess it and start annoying the posse with random quips at opportune moments. Or you could even use it as a hook for further adventures. As it says in the adventure, the stuff in the hut in the woods weren't Boone's only creations. In fact a load of them had already been made and sent Back East. Maybe the salmon could become almost a compass of sorts, helping the posse hunt down the other creations that are out there.

Good luck with it and do let me know what further adventures your posse have, amigo

Owen Lean

Owen.Lean
Novice

#4 Postby Owen.Lean » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:57 am

The other alternative. If your looking at an outright artifact, is you could give him the Zombie power with it, with a different trapping, in that it only reanimates animals, and in doing so it stuffs them - turns them into creations like Boone made. I'd give it the Taint of giving him the Mean hindrence, as it makes him slowly unfeeling and emotionless - like he's filled with straw.

Owen

Erolat
Novice

#5 Postby Erolat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:23 am

So for it has been relatively quiet. He is keeping it in a bucket of booze, long story, and one morning as they were waking up it said "This could be interesting" as a random bunch of critters were getting ready to attack. The only one that heard it though was the guy that took it so they all think he is talking to a dead fish. Granted, it is swimming in the booze but this is the Weird West so they just hand wave that.

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”