The Flood (Massive Spoilers) problems with players going off on their own tangent.

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Skips
Novice

The Flood (Massive Spoilers) problems with players going off on their own tangent.

#1 Postby Skips » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:51 pm

So, I've been running The Flood for my players, they are currently in Shan Fan and after everything that's happened to them, they don't trust any of the NPCs anymore. Captain Roderick-Smythe? I misspoke once and now they think he's a bumbling buffoon and have no intention of doing any more errands for him.

They spoke to Big Ears Tam but didn't want anything from him so Tam had no reason to offer them work.

They did the side mission where they head off to the island with the demon and guy staked up and managed to get him down but most of them ended up with some phobias and a minor heart attack after encountering the demon in the bottom of the secret lair so they no longer trust Lacey, who tipped them off about it, either.

I'm running out of NPCs that I can actually dump plot info on them from. Any suggestions? I'd have used the Agent from the island if he hadn't managed to get blown up by the dynamite they used to trap the demon in the lair, cause they actually liked him.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: The Flood (Massive Spoilers) problems with players going off on their own tangent.

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:14 pm

Embrace that they don't trust anyone.
The only NPCs that are willing to talk to them are shifty types: pirates, scruffy miners, bandits, etc.
Lacey will still drop articles for them but since they'll probably ignore those he'll eventually give up on them (or assume they're dead or otherwise incapacitated).

Since they don't want to trust anyone, let them be paranoid fear mongers. Give them all the chances to deal with the plot, face the villains, and save the land. And when they drop the ball and get wiped out, it's their fault. :twisted:
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

jamiemalk
Novice

Re: The Flood (Massive Spoilers) problems with players going off on their own tangent.

#3 Postby jamiemalk » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:44 pm

Dr. Edgar Haskins from Canyon O' Doom or Rutherford Ellington Dillenger from Abracadabra and an Arab Cadaver might be worth looking at as "knowlegable" NPC's that could guide them towards plot. I massively reworked the Flood when i ran it and most of the NPC support came from the Necessity Alliance and Nicodemus Whateley (my possie spent over a year in Gammora before the Flood, and i wasn't going to wipe it off the map due to licensing issues).

Skips
Novice

#4 Postby Skips » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:33 pm

I'd completely forgotten about Dillenger, that might be a good route. Although the group are horribly suspicious of the Explorer's League... I swear I haven't done anything to them to make them this paranoid.

Cutter XXIII
Legendary

#5 Postby Cutter XXIII » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:25 pm

Do the characters have any contacts, allies, friends or family members in their backstories you might draw upon?

Even if it's only to tell the characters who they can/should trust, it would be coming from a personality the player created and thus might be more likely to listen to.
Matthew Cutter
Deadlands Big Bug (Brand Manager)
Pinnacle Entertainment Group, Inc.

Skips
Novice

#6 Postby Skips » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:07 am

That'sounds a brilliant idea...except I don't think they have any. They are either all old (like pushing 80), widowed, English or a complete asshole. It's not like their characters were designed to have no one they trusted, it's just that they seem to have accidently created characters that generally don't have anyone around.

I had figured "hey these aren't the general loner doesn'tneed anyone characters" that I'd missed that they don't have anyone.

I'very managed to get them down to Perdition early and may take some time if they don't take the plot hook to set them up with helping the town start up.

Mavis
Seasoned

#7 Postby Mavis » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:31 pm

In my experience some players, however well you 'play/present' the NPC, will always treat any NPC with a level of disdain or try to find a reason to make fun of that NPC.

Would it make those NPC's easier to like if the NPC actually accompanied the Posse on a particular 'mission'. Let the players run the NPC in any combats, give the PC's more opportunity to get to know the NPC (and their abilities) and to earn the PC's respect. Of course this also provides more opportunities for the NPC to mess up and become the target for mockery.

NPC's in The Flood who might fit the bill are Major Farrell-Brick in Fort Lincoln, Long Haired Tony in Shan Fan (as long as he is played as more than just a stooge of the Shan Fan Triad) and Suitcase Lee in Harmony.

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”