Awarding bounty points(Classic)

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

dano
Novice

Awarding bounty points(Classic)

#1 Postby dano » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Newbie GM, Hope this is the right spot...

Deadlands Classic, starting the game with chip pot of 50 White, 25 red, 10 Blue. Players and GM draw. Does the remainder of the pot serve as the base for Bounty Point awards, or should I start with an empty pot and add chips for story awards, roleplaying, etc?

I did the former...added story awards to the already full pot. A recent session ended with each player receiving 22 BP. Is that excessive? Normal?

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Awarding bounty points(Classic)

#2 Postby Clint » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:43 pm

dano wrote:Newbie GM, Hope this is the right spot...

Deadlands Classic, starting the game with chip pot of 50 White, 25 red, 10 Blue. Players and GM draw. Does the remainder of the pot serve as the base for Bounty Point awards, or should I start with an empty pot and add chips for story awards, roleplaying, etc?

The remainder of the pot is used to reward players with additional chips. There should always be a base of 75 chips in play (not including Legend Chips).

dano wrote:I did the former...added story awards to the already full pot. A recent session ended with each player receiving 22 BP. Is that excessive? Normal?

Well, per the section on Awarding Fate Chips, "Try to strike a balance where everyone ends the game with enough chips to convert to 2-4 Bounty Points."

Are the players converting all of their earned chips into Bounty Points? If so, then they wouldn't have any to use during the game which seems dangerous.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Fists-of-Dorn
Seasoned

Re: Awarding bounty points(Classic)

#3 Postby Fists-of-Dorn » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:23 am

To add on:
I have found that awarding Fate Chips during play and awarding Bounty Points at the end of an adventure (or at the end of 'Chapters' of a long adventure) really encourages players to spend the Chips during play because they aren't as concerned about saving chips to convert after the session.
Too often as a player and as a Marshal I have seen characters struggle from session to session unable to convert any Fate Chips to Bounty simply because the character didn't have any left over (it was die or grow and you can't grow when you're dead).

-Fists.

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”