Actions while concentrating on a hex (classic)

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

pranqstr
Novice

Actions while concentrating on a hex (classic)

#1 Postby pranqstr » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:13 am

Hi,
I know this is a basic question, but I have a player which continues to argue about actions while maintaining a hex by concentrating.. Basically, you can walk, but you can take no skill action (nothing requiring a skill roll), or even run. Is here a list of things you can do while maintain a hex?

professor_q
Seasoned

Re: Actions while concentrating on a hex (classic)

#2 Postby professor_q » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:06 pm

The player's guide says you can only take simple actions "Such as moving." Hexarcana does call out a specific intended possible action where it also adds "speaking" to the list.

Whatever else falls under "Simple Action" is your call as the Marshal.

But if you want a little more authority on the matter, Hexarcana does make mention in the Hucksters and Hexes errata section (Titled "Whoops!")

Shadow man has a duration of ”Concentration.” Now, you’ve probably been wondering how your huckster is supposed to sneak while maintaining the hex. This hex is a specific exception to the rule that a cowpoke can only take simple actions while concentrating on a hex. She can use the sneak Aptitude while maintaining shadow man, but is otherwise limited to simple actions.

This supports your assertion that anything that requires a skill roll falls outside of "Simple Actions".

And as for Running, considering it gives penalties to whatever you do I don't think it's unreasonable to say that it breaks concentration - but I wouldn't fault any Marshal that disagreed with that.

But my point is, you're the Marshal, and your player should be a little more respectful of your call.

pranqstr
Novice

#3 Postby pranqstr » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:01 pm

I will allow them to run, with a TN check at -4 (because they are running).

Now, hexes cast on other people (like corporeal tweak) can be concentration or -1 wind. The Huckster has to pay for the hex, and you can't concentrate on more than one hex?

professor_q
Seasoned

#4 Postby professor_q » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:46 am

pranqstr wrote:I will allow them to run, with a TN check at -4 (because they are running).

Now, hexes cast on other people (like corporeal tweak) can be concentration or -1 wind. The Huckster has to pay for the hex, and you can't concentrate on more than one hex?

I've always played it to where if it's wind per round you can cast any other spell you want, including another hex that has wind per round duration.

The rationale being that if you stack up too many of them you're just going to pass out.

It does make a certain sense that if concentration is an option then you shouldn't be able to have more than one of those spells up at once, but I'm not positive that's the rule as intended (but you're free to rule it that way.) This isn't 5th edition D&D where the Concentration spell feature is a flag that prevents you from casting other concentration spells, I think.

I think another interesting question is on a concentration or wind per round hex, if you decide concentration, do you have to concentrate the entire time you maintain the hex? or can you for a round decide to take one wind and not have to concentrate that round? (Aka can you switch back and forth interchangeably?)

I personally don't see why not but again this is something where it's totally understandable if you feel differently.

But of course you can never concentrate on two hexes at once. If you had two Corporeal Tweaks up (on two different targets), you'd have to be taking a wind per round from at least one of them.

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”